2022/2023 NBA Season

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 2022/2023 NBA Season

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:39 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:35 am

It’s a bargain compared to what they just paid Kyrie.

Only way it doesn’t look terrible for Mavs is if Jalen’s father and the rest of Jalen’s camp mandated a move to NYC.
Kyrie is an free agent after this season.

That's an asset for Dallas.
By asset you mean they’re going to be left with nothing including now not having their draft picks, sure!
Having available cap space is an asset.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:41 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:39 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am

Kyrie is an free agent after this season.

That's an asset for Dallas.
By asset you mean they’re going to be left with nothing including now not having their draft picks, sure!
Having available cap space is an asset.
Oh you’re saying it was a salary dump. Right. Lol. Usually when you have one of the top 3 players in the league and are a playoff team, that’s the position you’re taking. That makes zero sense.
Deleted User 863

It's a half season rental that makes them better this season and gives them significant flexibility this off season to make a big signing to pair with Luka and Wood.

They aren't contenders in the west prior to the trade anyway.

I still think it's a super weird fit for a half season rental. I don't understand how Kyrie and Luka work together well on the court together.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Total desperation move by Dallas, which probably gives lie to their outward confidence at keeping Luka long-term. Healthy organizations don’t deal with Kyrie or Simmons or Westbrook.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 am It's a half season rental that makes them better this season and gives them significant flexibility this off season to make a big signing to pair with Luka and Wood.

I still think it's a super weird fit for a half season rental. I don't understand how Kyrie and Luka work together well on the court together.
If I understand correctly, if they pay Wood, they won’t have nearly enough to afford a max player this summer.

But my point was that they messed up starting with Brunson. And if they end up letting everyone walk other than Luka they 1. Are admitting they messed up with Brunson and 2. Won’t have any good players left outside of Luka and have historically been really bad at free agent signing.
Deleted User 863

Also: the mavs were hardly a lock to be a playoff team prior to the trade. *i don't count the play ins as playoffs*

Warriors Pelicans and Lakers will likely pass them as they get healthy (if they get healthy). Portland looking better lately. Minnesota hasn't had KAT and Gobert has been hurt off and on.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:52 am Also: the mavs were hardly a lock to be a playoff team prior to the trade. *i don't count the play ins as playoffs*

Warriors Pelicans and Lakers will likely pass them as they get healthy (if they get healthy). Portland looking better lately. Minnesota hasn't had KAT and Gobert has been hurt off and on.
The argument is regarding Brunson whom helped them get to the WCF less than a year ago.

Now we have people trying to justify them making salary dump moves and hoping to get lucky in the lottery. Great GM’ing.
Deleted User 863

Brunson wasn't worth the money for them. They already have a PG. I understand that thinking.

Brunson wasn't even a full time starter his last 2 years in Dallas.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Brunson started every playoff game and averaged 22 and 4 while doing so.

This is just pure contrarianism.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 am

Yes, but from me or you? I have said Kyrie is a weird fit next to Luka. But it's half a season.

Brunson hasn't been THAT great for NYK. I don't think he's worth the money as a backup PG and out of position 2 guard for a team like Dallas. Obviously they didn't think so either.

Dallas knows if they don't do SOMETHING Luka is leaving as soon as he gets a chance. This makes them better this year AND gives them a bunch of flexibility in the offseason.

They don't have to pay Kyrie or Wood ig they don't want to. Wood is not having a great season (he isn't having a bad season either by any means).

We can agree to disagree about Brunson. That's okay. It doesn't make me a contrarian simply because I don't agree with everything you say.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:10 am Jalen Brunson is averaging 23 pts and 6 assists on 47% shooting and 40% from 3. Mavs r dumb.
That's what he's averaging this season on a different team.
26 million is a lot of money and they probably felt Dinwiddle was just as good for less money. I'm not so sure I agree that was dumb. Maybe.
Now they have neither but do have a more expensive player who happens to be the Alex Jones of the NBA.

But part of GM’ing is knowing what your own players are capable of. They don’t get a pass because Jalen’s stats are on a different team. Haven’t ever heard that one before.
My worthless 2 cents....
They knew what they had with Brunson and what he was capable of. A very good player with a nice looking future. They chose to let him move on and leave salary room for a better player. I agree "they don't get a pass" but what a guy does on a different team really has nothing to do with what he did on his former team. Or am I not understanding? Which of course is entirely possible.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Brunson is/was scratching All Star level this season.
He's on a lot of 'snubbed' lists.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit, I was hoping Kylie really was gonna reunite with bron bron.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 am Brunson started every playoff game and averaged 22 and 4 while doing so.

Brunson was fantastic in last season's playoffs. Especially the Utah series.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am Brunson is/was scratching All Star level this season.
He's on a lot of 'snubbed' lists.
Brunson is a great player. Not so great defensively but a great player none the less.
Mavs would have been a better team this season (at least before yesterday) had they kept him.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 am It's a half season rental that makes them better this season and gives them significant flexibility this off season to make a big signing to pair with Luka and Wood.

Big free agents don't seem to sign with Dallas for some reason. After this many failures in a row, it hardly seems to just be bad luck. There seems to be something consistently missing there. Coach? GM? Facilities? I don't know. But they seem to always fall short of their targets.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 am

Big free agents don't seem to sign with Dallas for some reason. After this many failures in a row, it hardly seems to just be bad luck. There seems to be something consistently missing there. Coach? GM? Facilities? I don't know. But they seem to always fall short of their targets.
Newer GM so can't fault him for the past. Newer Coach so can't fault him for the past.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am

That's what he's averaging this season on a different team.
26 million is a lot of money and they probably felt Dinwiddle was just as good for less money. I'm not so sure I agree that was dumb. Maybe.
Now they have neither but do have a more expensive player who happens to be the Alex Jones of the NBA.

But part of GM’ing is knowing what your own players are capable of. They don’t get a pass because Jalen’s stats are on a different team. Haven’t ever heard that one before.
My worthless 2 cents....
They knew what they had with Brunson and what he was capable of. A very good player with a nice looking future. They chose to let him move on and leave salary room for a better player. I agree "they don't get a pass" but what a guy does on a different team really has nothing to do with what he did on his former team. Or am I not understanding? Which of course is entirely possible.
In the scenario where they knew what they had and let him walk, they're worse off without him after being close to a finals appearance.

And now have a prima donna max player. What Brunson's doing for NYK (and during last year's playoffs) is an illustration of what they let go compared to what they have now. Hindsight is 20/20, but they absolutely would have been better off just re-signing Brunson.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Watched Brunson in person in HS. Thought he was great but didn't think he would be a great NBA player.
Watched Brunson in person in College. Thought he was very good (in 1986) but didn't think he would be a great NBA player. Became a great college player but wasn't drafted until mid 2nd round.

Found this pic of him from the 2016 NC game.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am

My worthless 2 cents....
In the scenario where they knew what they had and let him walk, they're worse off without him after being close to a finals appearance.

And now have a prima donna max player. What Brunson's doing for NYK (and during last year's playoffs) is an illustration of what they let go compared to what they have now. Hindsight is 20/20, but they absolutely would have been better off just re-signing Brunson.
I am never a believer in the whole "if he can do that there then he would have done it here" thing. Maybe what Brunson does well is more available to him outside of an offense with Luka on it than he did in an offense with Brunson. Luka is #2 in the NBA in usage % this year and was #5 with Brunson last year so maybe Brunson just wasn't the right fit next to that type of player.