Induction cooktops

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Induction cooktops

Post by jhawks99 »

I've used dark soy, never head of black. The stake sounds pretty good.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 am
TDub wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:14 pm

yes.

which, is cart before horse.

67% of our grid is powered by fossil fuels. So....what is it actually solving?

More electric, more networked, more control.
The “your Tesla is charged by electricity from coal-fired plants” trope is Western Civ-II-Taker Genius-Level stuff. You have to start somewhere.
are tesla's can be only charged by certifiable renewable energy outlets?

Are you saying that fossil fuel consumption doesn't account for the bulk of our grids energy?

what are you saying.
I'm saying that the “your Tesla is charged by electricity from coal-fired plants” trope is run-of-the-mill bad faith bullshit that I hear from MAGA types with some frequency.

It's a gotcha game that's about as sophisticated or honest as "all lives matter" or "oh yeah explain this 60 degree July day" or "just asking questions here."
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:28 am I've used dark soy, never head of black. The stake sounds pretty good.
that's the shit I'm talkin about

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

"The power grid's reliance on fossil fuels is decreasing thus the increase in use of electrics has an increasing positive effect on the environment" seems like it would have been a far better answer than "You're just arguing in bad-faith MAGA-ist".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:44 am "The power grid's reliance on fossil fuels is decreasing thus the increase in use of electrics has an increasing positive effect on the environment" seems like it would have been a far better answer than "You're just arguing in bad-faith MAGA-ist".
But neither really gets to the heart of the matter, which is that it's pretty much unavoidably true that we have to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. Increasing electrification of personal automobiles simply is a step in the right direction, even though (for the time being) it might well be true that there is short term net negative to it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There may be an argument that it’s pretty much unavoidably true that we have to reduce our reliance on personal automobiles as a whole

But I know it’s difficult to consider concessions to one’s own lifestyle, myself included
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:11 pm There may be an argument that it’s pretty much unavoidably true that we have to reduce our reliance on personal automobiles as a whole

But I know it’s difficult to consider concessions to one’s own lifestyle, myself included
Absolutely. But it's a both/and, not an either/or.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

More electric cars is prob a net good thing, as is more mass transit, more walkable/bikeable urban areas, more high-speed railways, more work-remote and teleconferencing, etc.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:34 am
TDub wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 am

The “your Tesla is charged by electricity from coal-fired plants” trope is Western Civ-II-Taker Genius-Level stuff. You have to start somewhere.
are tesla's can be only charged by certifiable renewable energy outlets?

Are you saying that fossil fuel consumption doesn't account for the bulk of our grids energy?

what are you saying.
I'm saying that the “your Tesla is charged by electricity from coal-fired plants” trope is run-of-the-mill bad faith bullshit that I hear from MAGA types with some frequency.

It's a gotcha game that's about as sophisticated or honest as "all lives matter" or "oh yeah explain this 60 degree July day" or "just asking questions here."
perhaps you missed my point.

When I said "cart before the horse" I wasn't suggesting heading back to horse power (though I'm not against it).

My point was/is that forcing everyone to go electric while ignoring our insufficient grid capabilities is nothing but a moral high ground argument.

The massive amounts of money and effort should be put towards reducing our fossil fuel use at the grid supply level and not guilt tripping individual citizens for using gas stoves and driving vehicles with standard combustion engines.

The electric vehicle is indeed being charged by fossil fuel consumption at the current time. Our grid needs a massive overhaul to be able to accommodate any major shift in usage and result in a net reduction in fossil fuel consumption.

Our current grid cant even handle the existing load as it sits.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I go back to that exchange with my parents, who refuse to consider an electric car, cuz they might be too inconvenienced by its limited range for their 1x/year trek from MI to GA (and 1x back)

never mind that the vast majority of their driving is a 5 mile jaunt to the golf course and back
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

none of that anecdote changes anything I said
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea. I didn’t mean for it to.

Just an acecdote.

Here’s another:

When I visited last summer, while attending the post-round happy hour with my parents and their golf buddies, you would not believe how spirited the debate got over whether the other dood’s Tesla is as fast as dad’s vette.

I’m just sitting there politely smiling and nodding and wondering whether it’s worth saying, you guys realize how many perfectly straight and otherwise zero-traffic farm roads there are in bumfuck Michigan, right? Why don’t you two little pussies just go line em up and see!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I like the idea of a monorail and cradle electrical highway system that gets a driver between cities and continuously charges the car on the grid.