Kids

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Kids

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:42 am Had the talk with the boy last night. He just texted me this:
Hey sorry for not asking you beforehand but I sent [coach that cut me] this last night: Hey coach, this is fish. I respect the decision you and your staff have made and honestly thank you for the wake-up call that I needed. I will take this as a sign to improve myself, my training, and my effort on or off the field while continuing my [sport]. I hope that I will get to interact with your program as much as I can in the future as I work towards my own personal goals.
Proud dad here.
❤️

#stud
I’m super proud. He came to that on his own, I purposefully didn’t lecture. Gotta turn words into action now, but he couldn’t have done better than that.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:42 am Had the talk with the boy last night. He just texted me this:
Hey sorry for not asking you beforehand but I sent [coach that cut me] this last night: Hey coach, this is fish. I respect the decision you and your staff have made and honestly thank you for the wake-up call that I needed. I will take this as a sign to improve myself, my training, and my effort on or off the field while continuing my [sport]. I hope that I will get to interact with your program as much as I can in the future as I work towards my own personal goals.
Proud dad here.
It's always nice when you get a confirmation that your kids have been hearing you. Many times, they act like we are the most ignorant people on the planet who understand nothing about the way the world is but every now and then they do something that makes you realize that the consistently provided messages have been received even though they won't admit it for years if at all.

Keep it up!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Do kids text their dads things these days instead of just talkin' to em?
Not judging, just getting prepared to be bummed from getting a text instead of a face to face chat.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

My son texts goofball things and calls when he needs to talk. I like it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess I meant when they were still living in your house.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:08 am I guess I meant when they were still living in your house.
I got texts when my daughter had dumb ideas that she knew I would shoot down or if she needed me to lean on my wife to try to get something to happen that she felt was being viewed in an overly cautious manner by my wife but we also had normal face to face conversations about important things.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:03 am My son texts goofball things and calls when he needs to talk. I like it.
My daughter too.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am Do kids text their dads things these days instead of just talkin' to em?
Not judging, just getting prepared to be bummed from getting a text instead of a face to face chat.
You'll get more texts from your kids than anyone else. But they'll walk down (or up) the stairs to talk to you about stuff that matters.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:00 am Do kids text their dads things these days instead of just talkin' to em?
Well, he's at school (whether or not he should even be allowed to have a phone in school is a completely separate thing).

And more broadly, I don't have a problem meeting him where he's at, in terms of mode of communication. At this age, any authentic, meaningful communication is good communication.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Yes.

We just got my 9yr old her first phone. Last night she texted me from the other room.

Definitely annoyed me. LOL
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

my pops texts with more emojis and gifs than anyone i know

whomever showed him how deserved to be shot
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a while from now but at the moment, I sure ain't giving a phone to a 9 year old.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:46 am my pops texts with more emojis and gifs than anyone i know

whomever showed him how deserved to be shot
My son has pointed that out to me . . . just kill me right now.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

my rule is/was.....no phone before middle school. even then, i think we waited until the 7th grade.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sounds about right.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think we got our kids phones about the time they started after school activities.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

9th grade.

And yes, that has made them outliers.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

granted it was some years ago, but i didn’t get a cell phone until i was 18 or 19
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

just a thought for you guys with kids growing up. Spend time with them, make the effort. Don't let it get to "Cats in the Cradle"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:37 am
Yes.

We just got my 9yr old her first phone. Last night she texted me from the other room.

Definitely annoyed me. LOL
Based on my 9 year old's ability to lose nearly everything, I will not be getting my 9 year old a phone for several more years.