Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by TDub »

Florida State reportedly considering leaving the ACC. Not sure where they would go though unless the SEC is gonna go to 24 teams or something. They don't really fit anywhere else.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

would make a decent traveling partner for UCF
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

true....but would we even want FSU? not a good school academically, basketballs not good, football has been mostly irrelevant since Bobby.

Id rather go after some combo of Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, Utah.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:32 pm true....but would we even want FSU? not a good school academically, basketballs not good, football has been mostly irrelevant since Bobby.

it goes both ways though, obviously

plus, what’s FSU’s fan base/marketability? the new Big12 commish made it clear we’re “open for business”
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:32 pm true....but would we even want FSU? not a good school academically, basketballs not good, football has been mostly irrelevant since Bobby.

I wonder if it is more likely Oregon will end up in the big 10 when it's all said and done?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:54 pm

I wonder if it is more likely Oregon will end up in the big 10 when it's all said and done?
I think thats fairly likely.
Just Ledoux it
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

TDub wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:12 pm Florida State reportedly considering leaving the ACC. Not sure where they would go though unless the SEC is gonna go to 24 teams or something. They don't really fit anywhere else.
Whoa Whoa...slow down there.

FSU is pissed. Their ACC TV contract which runs till something like 2036 is 30 million per school less than SEC and Big10. The foolish ACC schools signed this deal and supposedly you can not get out of the ACC with your TV rights till deal is done. So for the next 10+ years FSU getting 30 million less every freaking year.

So FSU is pissed. They at the last ACC conference meeting decided to bring up that the payouts which are now 100% equal for all schools need to be split in a way where they get more money. This of course went nowhere.

So FSU is pissed cause they are for sure getting 30 million less till 2036 and there is nothing they can do.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hartjack8 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:45 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:12 pm Florida State reportedly considering leaving the ACC. Not sure where they would go though unless the SEC is gonna go to 24 teams or something. They don't really fit anywhere else.

FSU is pissed. Their ACC TV contract which runs till something like 2036 is 30 million per school less than SEC and Big10. The foolish ACC schools signed this deal and supposedly you can not get out of the ACC with your TV rights till deal is done. So for the next 10+ years FSU getting 30 million less every freaking year.

So FSU is pissed. They at the last ACC conference meeting decided to bring up that the payouts which are now 100% equal for all schools need to be split in a way where they get more money. This of course went nowhere.

So FSU is pissed cause they are for sure getting 30 million less till 2036 and there is nothing they can do.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampab ... utType=amp

yes, most of what you say is true....but there is a potential buyout and they are considering leaving. There's more to it than "there's nothing they can do"
Just Ledoux it
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The grant to rights contract that those idiot ACC schools signed is pretty ironclad. Basically giving all rights to 2036 to ACC. Potential buyout?
Just ask UT and OU about how that works. Both Clemson and FSU have said some things recently that they are unhappy but they have zero leverage.

They are trying to get leverage to get more money out of ACC it is just not going to work.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im not as confident as you in my conviction.

I think there's nothing ironclad.....ever. Theres always room for negotiation and always a way out.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and OU and UT are leaving....and paying a buyout to leave early....so im not sure what that really supports
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it would be good for the BIG 12 if the acc lost it's most prominent members.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:03 am it would be good for the BIG 12 if the acc lost it's most prominent members.
I dont think North Carolina or Duke is leaving.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Anyone who signs a massive length contract and then complains about changes to the market during that time can go fuck themselves. A long contract means you don't have to worry about your situation for a long time so either don't worry about it or don't sign such a long term contract. The stability of having everyone locked in looks appealing until you realize what that stability costs.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Florida colleges and schools are facing an accreditation nightmare thanks to their governor basically invalidating post-Medieval curricula. I wonder what will happen if UCF becomes essentially an empty diploma?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

So Clemson and FSU are trying to get ACC to give them more of the ACC pie.

They get more and say Boston College gets less. Something like that. Now you have to remember that contract the ACC schools signed was right after Maryland left for Big 10 and by signing the contract they got ESPN to build the ACC network. LOL

But anyways more important is the Pac 12 new TV contract or actually the lack of a Pac 12 new TV contract. This is not going to well and you could see a Pac 12 school looking for greener pastures quickly. Say like the Big 12. I'm all for the four corners schools.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:20 am

Anyone who signs a massive length contract and then complains about changes to the market during that time can go fuck themselves. A long contract means you don't have to worry about your situation for a long time so either don't worry about it or don't sign such a long term contract. The stability of having everyone locked in looks appealing until you realize what that stability costs.
you mean like every professional athlete? Particularly QBs that renegotiate long term contracts seemingly every year?

Never refinance your house then when the market rates change?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:34 pm

you mean like every professional athlete? Particularly QBs that renegotiate long term contracts seemingly every year?

I have no empathy for athletes who sign contracts and then complain in public about the terms of the agreement they agreed to.

And even though mortgages vs. salaries is about as apples vs. oranges as it gets and neither really compares to a contract for media rights, I did not complain in the media about my mortgage with a company after I signed it (when I had a mortgage). I either honored it and paid it monthly or I paid whatever fees were required for me to refinance it. If FSU wants to get out of their contract, then they should be prepared to pay whatever fees are defined in the contract they signed.

Any ACC school that thought their super long media rights contract wasn't going to get passed over by larger contracts by other conferences is led by idiots. It's like if Mahomes though that he was going to always be the highest paid QB for the length of his 10+ year contract. If that was the goal then that should have been built into the contract. If ACC schools wanted to make sure their schools never received less than $x million dollars below other conferences then they should have negotiated that into their contract.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:33 am
TDub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:34 pm

I have no empathy for athletes who sign contracts and then complain in public about the terms of the agreement they agreed to.

And even though mortgages vs. salaries is about as apples vs. oranges as it gets and neither really compares to a contract for media rights, I did not complain in the media about my mortgage with a company after I signed it (when I had a mortgage). I either honored it and paid it monthly or I paid whatever fees were required for me to refinance it. If FSU wants to get out of their contract, then they should be prepared to pay whatever fees are defined in the contract they signed.

Any ACC school that thought their super long media rights contract wasn't going to get passed over by larger contracts by other conferences is led by idiots. It's like if Mahomes though that he was going to always be the highest paid QB for the length of his 10+ year contract. If that was the goal then that should have been built into the contract. If ACC schools wanted to make sure their schools never received less than $x million dollars below other conferences then they should have negotiated that into their contract.
you did not complain in the media excuse the media wouldn't have given you....or me....the time of day.

If you thought speaking to the media would've helped lower your rate you most likely would've done it.

I, also, have 0 sympathy for the scenarios......but my sympathy was/is never part of the question or equation.

Lets also not forget that, many times, these complaints aren't offered independently. . .the media hounds and prods for answers and thoughts and updates on these situations daily and speaking to press is often mandatory.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

any move that increases the BIG 12's standing/position in the power 3. i am in favor of.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"