These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 863

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Driving a family around is a practical use of an SUV, right?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

To be clear, I don’t think the white-collar cowboys should be banned from buying $80,000 Sierra Denalis. I very much support their right to do so!

It is just that I will mock them for the silliness and, often, insecurity, of it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:35 am but there could be a solve to deter people from buying something they probably don't actually need.
Are we doing this for all aspects of life? Or just cars?

How does one determine what someone else "needs"?
By valuing a lot of the stats that dude brings up in his kinda shitty video.
And by living in the city and understanding your wants are lessened by the greater good which in this case is a very large greater good.
Cities should run differently than other places because of layout - common sense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:58 am Driving a family around is a practical use of an SUV, right?
Certainly.
But because of lack of space/congestion in certain areas of cities, it becomes less practical for everyone involved.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this is about keyboard social justice warriors and how they know best.

todays topic is trucks. tomorrows could be.........(insert)
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
shindig

Post by shindig »

I think if people just payed attention and put their cell phones down and looked out for each other, this wouldn't be an issue.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:56 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:03 am I'd zone off areas of the city with like 3 zones and make it illegal for you to drive and park in certain zones with certain cars. When you registered your car you could request a city tag and depending on what car you owned, you'd get access to one, two or three zones.
And what about commercial vehicles?

Is this about safety or punshing people who make a vehicle choice you don't like?
what about visitors? If I only have 1 car and it happens to be a truck I can only visit certain areas of the city? Or I have to pay extra to enter another car or take a cab to the exclusive zones? Seems like something, that if proposed by others, would be smeared across this board as classiest, unfair, fascist, racist blah blah blah
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

If it's a choice between small sedan or full size SUV, I am choosing the SUV every time.

It has nothing to do with insecurity.

My penis is still small either way.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Commercial vehicles could be exempt but would have to pay X amount of tax.
And yes and no about visiting certain areas of the city.
If you have a certain vehicle, you can park it in established and planned areas, and yes, take a cab, or gasp, a train or bus. Without the need for lanes for all the cars in that area, buses ( and scooters or bicycles ) would run faster as well.

This would alter people's decisions on future vehicle purchase which would ultimately be a good thing in major metro areas.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:02 am If it's a choice between small sedan or full size SUV, I am choosing the SUV every time.

It has nothing to do with insecurity.

My penis is still small either way.
This is not remotely the insecurity I’m mocking!
Deleted User 863

Sounds like a good way to chase the poor people away.

I like it!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:07 am Sounds like a good way to chase the poor people away.

I like it!
How in the world would you come up with this conclusion?
Or scratch that.
I know how you would. How would a normal person come up with this conclusion?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:05 am Commercial vehicles could be exempt but would have to pay X amount of tax.
If you have a certain vehicle, you can park it in established and planned areas, and yes, take a cab, or gasp, a train or bus.

This would alter people's decisions on future vehicle purchase which would ultimately be a good thing in major metro areas.
I dont think it would alter anybody decisions on anything other than possibly not visiting the city.

But it does create another layer of walls and exclusion. If you can block access based on vehicle...then....whats next.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:08 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:05 am Commercial vehicles could be exempt but would have to pay X amount of tax.
If you have a certain vehicle, you can park it in established and planned areas, and yes, take a cab, or gasp, a train or bus.

I dont think it would alter anybody decisions on anything other than possibly not visiting the city.

But it does create another layer of walls and exclusion. If you can block access based on vehicle...then....whats next.
No.
It doesn't need to escalate with MYFREEDOMS here.
This is a logistical solution to congestion.

And i'd argue more people would frequent parts of the city now that public transportation would be much faster ( and areas more open for walking ).
Deleted User 863

Another added benefit!

No poors. No tourists.

Ok, after second thought, I am in on this Utopia!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:59 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:35 am but there could be a solve to deter people from buying something they probably don't actually need.
Are we doing this for all aspects of life? Or just cars?

How does one determine what someone else "needs"?
By valuing a lot of the stats that dude brings up in his kinda shitty video.
And by living in the city and understanding your wants are lessened by the greater good which in this case is a very large greater good.
Cities should run differently than other places because of layout - common sense.
when real estate already brings the premium that it does, just think about how much space we could free up by designing urban areas, layouts, infrastructures to not be so car-centric.

so much of a city's footprint is so consumed by streets, parking spaces, garages, gas stations, and such.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:10 am

No.
It doesn't need to escalate with MYFREEDOMS here.
This is a logistical solution to congestion.
Thats your opinion. You're welcome to it. Its also open to be questioned and critiqued
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:10 am

Another added benefit!

No poors. No tourists.

Ok, after second thought, I am in on this Utopia!
You're a moran.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But, play the tape forward a little bit. If you were to buy a literal monster truck, would you have a legitimate gripe with 14-foot highway overpasses? After all, your literal monster truck cannot fit under those overpasses, rendering a whole lot of roads unusable for you.

Is urban planning that renders a lot of spaces inaccessible to vehicles of a certain size all that different?
Deleted User 863

You know what helps the most if congestion bothers you? Don't live in huge cities. Don't own/drive a car.