Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: These stupid trucks are literally killing us

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:11 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:59 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 am

Are we doing this for all aspects of life? Or just cars?

How does one determine what someone else "needs"?
By valuing a lot of the stats that dude brings up in his kinda shitty video.
And by living in the city and understanding your wants are lessened by the greater good which in this case is a very large greater good.
Cities should run differently than other places because of layout - common sense.
when real estate already brings the premium that it does, just think about how much space we could free up by designing urban areas, layouts, infrastructures to not be so car-centric.

so much of a city's footprint is so consumed by streets, parking spaces, garages, gas stations, and such.
This is correct.
The average NYC ( including poors! ) citizen doesn't own a car.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 am

Are we doing this for all aspects of life? Or just cars?

How does one determine what someone else "needs"?
And by living in the city and understanding your wants are lessened by the greater good which in this case is a very large greater good.
Cities should run differently than other places because of layout - common sense.
when real estate already brings the premium that it does, just think about how much space we could free up by designing urban areas, layouts, infrastructures to not be so car-centric.

so much of a city's footprint is so consumed by streets, parking spaces, garages, gas stations, and such.
most city parking is in underground parking garages under buildings. There are still some parking lots but the vast majority of those are going away and their going up with buildings down with parking
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:13 am You know what helps the most if congestion bothers you? Don't live in huge cities. Don't own/drive a car.
So close!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:14 am

most city parking is in underground parking garages under buildings. There are still some parking lots but the vast majority of those are going away and their going up with buildings down with parking
https://electrek.co/2022/05/12/nyc-want ... able-city/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:13 am
TDub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:08 am
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:05 am Commercial vehicles could be exempt but would have to pay X amount of tax.
And yes and no about visiting certain areas of the city.
If you have a certain vehicle, you can park it in established and planned areas, and yes, take a cab, or gasp, a train or bus.

This would alter people's decisions on future vehicle purchase which would ultimately be a good thing in major metro areas.
I dont think it would alter anybody decisions on anything other than possibly not visiting the city.

But it does create another layer of walls and exclusion. If you can block access based on vehicle...then....whats next.
But, play the tape forward a little bit. If you were to buy a literal monster truck, would you have a legitimate gripe with 14-foot highway overpasses? After all, your literal monster truck cannot fit under those overpasses, rendering a whole lot of roads unusable for you.

Is urban planning that renders a lot of spaces inaccessible to vehicles of a certain size all that different?
If you have to go to extremes (like...taller than a semi extremes) to try and prove a point......is it a point worth proving?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:05 am Commercial vehicles could be exempt but would have to pay X amount of tax.
If you have a certain vehicle, you can park it in established and planned areas, and yes, take a cab, or gasp, a train or bus.

This would alter people's decisions on future vehicle purchase which would ultimately be a good thing in major metro areas.
I dont think it would alter anybody decisions on anything other than possibly not visiting the city.

But it does create another layer of walls and exclusion. If you can block access based on vehicle...then....whats next.
But, play the tape forward a little bit. If you were to buy a literal monster truck, would you have a legitimate gripe with 14-foot highway overpasses? After all, your literal monster truck cannot fit under those overpasses, rendering a whole lot of roads unusable for you.

Is urban planning that renders a lot of spaces inaccessible to vehicles of a certain size all that different?
But this is the opposite of that.

The large SUV drivers aren't here complaining about congestion and roadways. The guy in the suburu hatchback is pissed that Escalade is taking up 6 extra inches of HIS roadway.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i thought this thread was about keeping the children safe.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 am i thought this thread was about keeping the children safe.
It's not actually about safety.

It's about those people they don't like.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 am i thought this thread was about keeping the children safe.

Well, with that guy who made the video it is.
For me, it's making a city more livable and efficient.

I'm not sure why people living in the back country of Utah or the suburbs of Peoria are all hot and bothered with how a giant ( and growing ) city should be run.

I would bet all my KCrim bucks that 70% of Manhattanites would be in favor of fewer cars on the roads and in favor of restrictions that would create that environment.

This guy in the original video lives in a bubble. His argument doesn't extend out of that bubble. But his argument in that bubble has validity.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am

I'm not sure why people living in the outskirts of Utah or the suburbs of Peoria are all hot and bothered with how a giant ( and growing ) city should be run.
LOL

Hey, if it's truly about efficiency and livability then I am with doing whatever "it" is.

Also: I don't live on the outskirts of Peoria. I live in Springfield. The home of Andre Iguodala. The home of the horseshoe. Land of Lincoln.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what cities are adopting more progressive and less car-centric layouts?

prob a lot more outside the US than in it...coincidentally, just like lifted Sierra Denalis.

there's random places like Pearl Street in Boulder, that's pedestrian only for a few blocks. But that's mostly just a few-block commercial downtown design, and not an entire urban layout.

and Mass St for Final Fours. (if you think I think a place like Lawrence, KS should design their entire downtown corridor to be pedestrian-only for the entire year just in anticipation of the next Final Four, yea you're right)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:16 am

If you have to go to extremes (like...taller than a semi extremes) to try and prove a point......is it a point worth proving?
I'm just saying, there's always conflict where our reverence for personal freedoms intersects with the practical requirements of living in a society. From my point of view...a person is free to buy most any vehicle they'd like...but there is no requirement for everyone else to accommodate every possible vehicle anyone might buy.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

springfield is the home of the Alamo Bar. my favorite bar in springfield.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, so a city with a population barely larger than Lawrence.
But 200 times smaller than NYC.
So you know how it is.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

There are rules in place in every state that define what type and size of vehicles are street legal. Monster trucks are generally not street legal because their size and weight make them extreme hazards to other cars as well as the street surfaces themselves.
Deleted User 863

I don't think motorcycles should be legal. They are too hard to see. Too dangerous. It's a safety thing.

And since I don't know how to drive one it's easy for me to give them up.

In safety's sake, of course.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

re: safety

I wonder how a reduction in cars might correlate with other urban issues - traffic accidents/injuries/deaths, first responder workload, vehicular-related property crimes, smog, overall commute times, etc.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am springfield is the home of the Alamo Bar. my favorite bar in springfield.
wait, that movie theater/bar joint?

cuz yea, I'd totally be down to sip a Coors lite while enjoying Cocaine Bear

tho I don't really wanna have to go all the way to southern Illinois to do so.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am OK, so a city with a population barely larger than Lawrence.
But 200 times smaller than NYC.
So you know how it is.
I know why I don't live in Chicago. I don't like congestion.

I know efficiency and livability are issues. I also know banning SUVs amd trucks, which in the grand scheme of things aren't significantly bigger than other vehicles, would accomplish very little to improve congestion.

Just ban personal vehicles completely. The sizes are all similar. It'd be good for the environment too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am

I'm not sure why people living in the back country of Utah or the suburbs of Peoria are all hot and bothered with how a giant ( and growing ) city should be run.

I would bet all my KCrim bucks that 70% of Manhattanites would be in favor of fewer cars on the roads and in favor of restrictions that would create that environment.

This guy in the original video lives in a bubble. His argument doesn't extend out of that bubble. But his argument in that bubble has validity.