Kansas vs Texas Official Game Thread, for the Title

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: Kansas vs Texas Official Game Thread, for the Title

Post by MICHHAWK »

they both are a complete drop off when they enter the game. neither have earned meaningful minutes at KANSAS. they are probably very nice kids. but they do not belong in our rotation.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we have spent nearly two seasons debating which is less not good. neither belong in our rotation.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

KU may have earned an overall #1 seed by their body of work, but they certainly don't look like the best team in the country. Our lack of depth really hurt us in the 3-games-in-3-days format but fortunately the NCAA tourney doesn't require that. We do, however, need our starting 5 healthy to have a chance. Long athletic teams seem to give us fits every year.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’ll be interesting to see what the committee does

seems about half of the talking heads still have us as the top #1
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

luckily for us we won’t have to play most of whoever teams you believe are better than us.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:33 am they both are a complete drop off when they enter the game. neither have earned meaningful minutes at KANSAS. they are probably very nice kids. but they do not belong in our rotation.
This.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I wonder how many past NCAA Champions have lost their last game going into the tournament by 20 points or more...I would imagine zero.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:46 am I wonder how many past NCAA Champions have lost their last game going into the tournament by 20 points or more...I would imagine zero.
I don't know.
What I do know is Baylor lost by 9. In a strange coincidence, Virginia, UNC, Duke, and UConn lost by 10.
In 85 Nova lost by 15.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

It makes no difference what other champions of the past have done.

A team had never comeback from 14pts down at half to win, either.

We didn't have one of our best players. We didn't have our coach. And Texas is one of the best teams in the country.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:04 am
InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:46 am I wonder how many past NCAA Champions have lost their last game going into the tournament by 20 points or more...I would imagine zero.
I don't know.
What I do know is Baylor lost by 9. In a strange coincidence, Virginia, UNC, Duke, and UConn lost by 10.
In 85 Nova lost by 15.
Good facts right there.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:06 am It makes no difference what other champions of the past have done.

A team had never comeback from 14pts down at half to win, either.

We didn't have one of our best players. We didn't have our coach. And Texas is one of the best teams in the country.
FWIW (a dirty penny and a moldy french fry?) Texas was without one of their best players - and in theory their coach too.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Texas bench points -20. KU bench points 3. Texas has a much deeper bench and is better equipped to handle the grueling gauntlet that is the Big 12 tournament. KU has gotten by with getting behind in games and coming back all season. But when a team locks you down on defense (let's give the Longhorns some credit) come backs don't happen.

You also don't win many games shooting 41.4% from the field while allowing your opponent to shoot 50.0%. Gave up way too many easy buckets.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:20 am
pdub wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:53 am Pettiford is literally taller and heavier than Yesufu.

His FG percentage is 20 percent better.

My god it’s painful sometimes.
6'1 vs 6'

190 vs 180. Weights are always just rough estimates. I guarantee you neither one weighs exactly an even 180 or 190. They are probably within a few pounds if we put em on scale

Pettiford is 30 perfect from 3 this year. 3/10. Hes attempted 10 all season. Ridiculously small sample size. Yesefu is 27%, but made 7 times as many. Neither is shooting well. I really don't see pettiford playing any bigger than yesefu. Do you?? Yesefu is visibly stronger and more explosive. Both are undersized

But at least Yesufu gives us something occasionally
All pettiford gives us is a headache

I could see both potentially transferring

I hope both play well to finish the season
DoNT BeLiEVE The FaCTs!!!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:43 am KU may have earned an overall #1 seed by their body of work, but they certainly don't look like the best team in the country. Our lack of depth really hurt us in the 3-games-in-3-days format but fortunately the NCAA tourney doesn't require that. We do, however, need our starting 5 healthy to have a chance. Long athletic teams seem to give us fits every year.
I agree with this and have said this much of the season.

We don't have a go-to post player who can get his own shot in the half court. We have to manufacture those shots and try and create matchup issues rather than just feeding a dude after he's backed in.

On top of that, we aren't a good 3 point shooting team, and have had several losses where we haven't broken 60 points.

There's no doubt we deserve a 1 seed. Hell, probably even 1 overall.
I don't think we are a top 4 team in the nation however.
Deleted User 863

Who cares. We just have to win 6 more games.

Being the best team on paper means nothing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You have less of a shot to win 6 games if you aren't a top 4 team ( or top 8 ) in the country.
Deleted User 863

We are a top 8 team. We are a 1 seed.
Deleted User 863

I am trying to figure out how all the experts have us as maybe the #1 overall seed if we suck so badly.

I don't understand the somewhat over the top negativity or the keeping in check those of us that aren't ready to jump off a building as a #1 seed. You've banned people for less. Last years team wasn't the best on paper, but the history books says they are national champions. The 2008 team wasn't favored in either final 4 game, but the history books says they are national champions.

Being the best on paper is overrated.

It's selection Sunday. Time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves for not being as much of a front runner as some of you need to feel comfortable...tbh, our most front runner teams haven't brought home the bacon in March/April. We do just fine as a slight underdog.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We are 9th in Kenpom and NCAA NET score and 12th in Bartorvik.

I’d put us in that 5-10 range which is obviously good enough to win a title with the right matchups and some luck.

We just aren’t a clear top 4 team though.

And your mouth is full of straw with the "we suck so badly" comment.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we are certainly one of the best 2-3-4-5 teams in the country. They have proved it all season. To say we are not is just nonsense.

we are too close to our situation.