God and government

Ugh.
Deleted User 62

Re: God and government

Post by Deleted User 62 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 am I have reviewed the evidence and data I have available to me and I am comfortable with my opinion of the situation. Thanks!
^^^^^^^

"GOD" means different things to different people.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 am I have reviewed the evidence and data I have available to me and I am comfortable with my opinion of the situation. Thanks!
Perfectly fine answer. If only that answer was acceptable for everyone. Ha.

Ive tried that answer and got drilled at every turn about it.
As long as people keep their religion to themselves and keep it out of my life and the laws I and the rest of the community I live in have to follow, I have no issue with others finding comfort, community and happiness by attending church and/or believing in some higher power. Good for them.

But with 8 zillion different religions, the vast majority of which directly contradicting each other, to treat is any one of them as some sort of actual truth is very dangerous. The Bible is an interesting work of historical fiction in my opinion. Treating it as anything more than that is like treating the Harry Potter books as non-fiction.

Again, just my opinion.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:51 am
^^^^^^^

"GOD" means different things to different people.
So does the word "wicked".
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:45 am
Perfectly fine answer. If only that answer was acceptable for everyone. Ha.

Ive tried that answer and got drilled at every turn about it.
As long as people keep their religion to themselves and keep it out of my life and the laws I and the rest of the community I live in have to follow, I have no issue with others finding comfort, community and happiness by attending church and/or believing in some higher power. Good for them.

But with 8 zillion different religions, the vast majority of which directly contradicting each other, to treat is any one of them as some sort of actual truth is very dangerous. The Bible is an interesting work of historical fiction in my opinion. Treating it as anything more than that is like treating the Harry Potter books as non-fiction.

Again, just my opinion.
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

and as Dawkins said, with all the religions in the world there are really only three logical options - all of them are true, none of them are true, or one of them is true
Deleted User 62

Sums it up pretty well.

https://youtu.be/55h1FO8V_3w
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

In the name of "God"......admittedly done on "behalf" of Jesus, by "Christians".

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/loui ... hate-crime
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I have a novel idea. You want to say "God"? Say God. You don't want to say "God"? Don't say God.
People want to criticize you either way? Fuck 'em. Fuck everyone in this country who actually gives a fuck if someone says "God" or not. To each their own - and if I live in a country where people are forced to say "God", then that's example #456,982,543 why this country sucks - at times.
Have a great day!
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Just have to have faith. Why not?.......no harm, no foul. Unless you're Shirls and it damages your self respect.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Gutter wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am I have a novel idea. You want to say "God"? Say God. You don't want to say "God"? Don't say God.
People want to criticize you either way? Fuck 'em. Fuck everyone in this country who actually gives a fuck if someone says "God" or not. To each their own - and if I live in a country where people are forced to say "God", then that's example #456,982,543 why this country sucks - at times.
Have a great day!
We aren't talking about random conversations in every day life. There are countless examples of it being forced on people, be it through public office oaths or kids being required to say The (revised) Pledge at school.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

So, let me see if I can get this straight.

The point of the oath one swears is to tell the truth.

If one doesn't believe in God, isn't swearing "So help me God," starting off one's testimony with a lie?
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

That’s why “one” would have to affirm that they are not an atheist before taking the oath.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

dolomite wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm That’s why “one” would have to affirm that they are not an atheist before taking the oath.
So you're advocating for a religious test? Why do you hate the constitution?
Defense. Rebounds.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:16 pm
dolomite wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm That’s why “one” would have to affirm that they are not an atheist before taking the oath.
What?? Belief in God does not require one to be religious. It’s about separation of church and state, not God and state.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

You are trying way too hard
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:03 am You are trying way too hard
Actually not.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dolomite wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:16 pm
What?? Belief in God does not require one to be religious. It’s about separation of church and state, not God and state.
what about Allah and state?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

So, in your scenario, atheists don't get to testify?

Or, aren't required to tell the truth? Or what?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

and what if they believe in multiple gods?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

seahawk wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 am

He's not trying very hard to sort out the details of his absurdity. If he did then "take it out and the problem is solved" would be the answer.

Has someone who believes in God ever been offended that "so help me God" wasn't in their oath? Would kids feel less patriotic if the Pledge of Allegiance was returned to it's original form without "under God" in it? No on both accounts is my guess.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 am
seahawk wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 am

He's not trying very hard to sort out the details of his absurdity. If he did then "take it out and the problem is solved" would be the answer.

Has someone who believes in God ever been offended that "so help me God" wasn't in their oath? Would kids feel less patriotic if the Pledge of Allegiance was returned to it's original form without "under God" in it? No on both accounts is my guess.
Splitting hairs, mountains out of molehills, all in a days work for liberals. lol
Taylor Sheridan