March Madness 23

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: March Madness 23

Post by ousdahl »

practicing the mid-range game...you mean like, free throws?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

AlOerter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:29 am …players don't devote a lot of their time to practicing the mid-range game.
i agree with this

several announcers have also alluded to the Steph Curry effect

i think Gradey could’ve been a bit more effective this year had he utilized that mid-range pull-up more…it’s definitely in his skill set
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

GD is a great spot up or rhythm shooter. You crowd him or face guard away he becomes mostly in-effective.
The next step and maturation of his game will be being able to take two dribbles and use his height to pull up off the bounce. That will come with time - either in a gym in Lawrence or in practice at various arenas and gyms across the US.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AlOerter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:29 am
Mjl wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am
AlOerter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:53 am On the Texas vs Miami game - both of those teams' mid-range game was a thing of beauty. Very difficult to defend the drive and pull-up plus very high percentage shot. More teams should use it more often.
Analytics would say otherwise
I analyzed this particular game with my eyes. Maybe analytics, which you didn't quote by the way, don't take into account the fact that players don't devote a lot of their time to practicing the mid-range game.
I helped create those analytics.
Players shot a lot of mid range jumpers and worked on them. They're getting away from it now because player tracking helped create a massive dataset that showed how likely shots were to go in based on where they were shit from. As a whole, midrange jumpers are not efficient.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Well then, MJL, bricks should be expected shitting from midrange.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:27 pm Honestly I think this final 4 is gonna be really good. 4, 5, 5, and 9 seeds. No blue bloods or stars really, just a bunch of teams that play good team basketball
Meh, looks like a bunch of semifinal games from the mid-tier Thanksgiving holiday tourneys, not an actual Final Four. There were about 20 teams I though were good enough to make a Final Four and UConn is the only one of those that actually made it. Next Saturday sounds like a good day to get something done while others are watching the Final Four.
Last edited by twocoach on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

upsets in the first weekend are great. upsets in the second weekend not so much.

the madness went overboard this year. hopefully this is one time only.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 am upsets in the first weekend are great. upsets in the second weekend not so much.

the madness went overboard this year. hopefully this is one time only.
It will probably take one more season for the glut of extra covid seasons to clear through the system and get the lower tier teams knocked back down to their normal cycles.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Mjl wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 am
AlOerter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:29 am
Mjl wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:57 am

Analytics would say otherwise
I analyzed this particular game with my eyes. Maybe analytics, which you didn't quote by the way, don't take into account the fact that players don't devote a lot of their time to practicing the mid-range game.
I helped create those analytics.
Players shot a lot of mid range jumpers and worked on them. They're getting away from it now because player tracking helped create a massive dataset that showed how likely shots were to go in based on where they were shit from. As a whole, midrange jumpers are not efficient.
Whatever you say. Guys that are good at mid range jumpers are harder to guard than guys that aren't. I don't buy that players work on them as much as they work on 3's and driving to the rim. I've seen a lot of missed shots at the rim in the tournament because they tend to be challenged harder than pull up jumpers. Like I said, I don't know the numbers but I've watched and played a ton of ball in my lifetime.

Having said all that, I have a great deal of appreciation for your skill at crunching numbers and don't dismiss it out of hand. I'm just giving my opinion as a fan.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Certainly if you have a mid range jumper, you're harder to guard.
And you definitely should work on everything in the arsenal if you want to be elite.

I think analytics will say you want to maximize the shots that will get you the most points per attempt -- and so that's the three pointer, because of the extra point, and layups and dunks, because those have a higher chance to go in and draw a foul.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Good post pdub. In that light it's amazing that JWil put up as many points as he did because the dunk was not in his repertoire and he wasn't high percentage shooter from 3 and he took some very difficult shots in the lane. I do think he should have gotten to the line a lot more because of all the no-calls.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’ve posted this before so with adequate warning……I completely agree with the loss of the mid-range shooting. One of the most effective plays is what we used to call the “free-throw jumper”. On just about every possession a shooter is open for a viable period within a few feet of the free throw line, for longer against the zone.

It was very interesting that Miami completed their comeback against Texas without shooting a single three, not even attempting one for several possessions!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess by layup, I just generally mean driving to the basket for a close range attempt.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Seems like you guys are missing the obvious. We actually are getting a BETTER tournament this year, with older experienced teams making deeps runs
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Maybe the names on the jerseys aren't doing it for ya, maybe the seeds attached to them aren't high enough, but these teams can hoop. Theyve got mature athletes playing team basketball. Theres a reason they outlasted the kansas dukes and Kentuckys of the world
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Would like to know how many hamburgers are left in the final 4.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

AlOerter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:22 am Would like to know how many hamburgers are left in the final 4.
The highest rated recruit left is someone who was like 40th in the class. And I think he's from UConn.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Consensus is, burgers stink. 40th and beyond are better.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm not picky. i like any bucket. 2-pt. 3-pt. i don't care. when the ball goes in the hole i cheer.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"