Medical Issues

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Medical Issues

Post by jfish26 »

My youngest came home last night, after four nights in the hospital with something called staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome.

0/4 stars, do not recommend.

But, she's on the mend and does not stand to have any long-term impact (even, surprisingly,* scarring/blotching).

* She has spent the last week looking like a goddamn The Last of Us extra.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

good that she’s on the mend

my company is actually looking at antibody therapies against the ever-growing list of resistant bacteria and fungi that keep popping up. having done some deep research dives into some of these, it’s a good thing she’s got something that’s treatable
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:21 pm good that she’s on the mend

my company is actually looking at antibody therapies against the ever-growing list of resistant bacteria and fungi that keep popping up. having done some deep research dives into some of these, it’s a good thing she’s got something that’s treatable
It's interesting - have had a lot of time to think over the last several days. Smart people will make a lot of money thinking through follow-on effects of Covid (like, for example, the accelerated proliferation/evolution of resistant bacteria and fungi, arising out of the massive, immediate uptick in the use of chemical sanitizer).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:28 pm

It's interesting - have had a lot of time to think over the last several days. Smart people will make a lot of money thinking through follow-on effects of Covid (like, for example, the accelerated proliferation/evolution of resistant bacteria and fungi, arising out of the massive, immediate uptick in the use of chemical sanitizer).
there is a perfect storm of sorts, of which we seem to be entering, where there’s a combination of excessive use of “drugs”, continued (if not increased) encroachment into “wild” places, and a global environment that is becoming more hospitable to such pathogens and their transmission
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:33 pm

there is a perfect storm of sorts, of which we seem to be entering, where there’s a combination of excessive use of “drugs”, continued (if not increased) encroachment into “wild” places, and a global environment that is becoming more hospitable to such pathogens and their transmission
Adapt or die.

Or, better: adapt (and make some money) or die.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

That's great news, JFish!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:04 pm My youngest came home last night, after four nights in the hospital with something called staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome.

But, she's on the mend and does not stand to have any long-term impact (even, surprisingly,* scarring/blotching).

Glad to hear/read she's going to be ok! Must have scared the crap out of you and the Mrs.
Any idea how/where she got it?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Glad she's home and going to be OK.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:50 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:04 pm My youngest came home last night, after four nights in the hospital with something called staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome.

Glad to hear/read she's going to be ok! Must have scared the crap out of you and the Mrs.
Well it’s basically a staph infection run wild. And as icky as it is, we all have staph on us at any given time. So it’s just shitty luck to pick up an infection, and shittier luck to have this complication.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:39 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:50 pm

Well it’s basically a staph infection run wild. And as icky as it is, we all have staph on us at any given time. So it’s just shitty luck to pick up an infection, and shittier luck to have this complication.
Well, I'm hoping for good luck for her (and your family) going forward!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The staphylococcus strains that cause ssss have genes that encode exfoliative toxins that destroy the proteins that connect cells together. That leads to the symptoms that give it it's name. Basically, the top layers of skin are no longer connected to the lower levels. Luckily, not for fish, only some S. aureus strains have that toxin and it usually only occurs in small children.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What a relief jfish. It's exhausting to have a family member, and especially one so young, in the hospital. Glad she seems to be recovering.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:17 pm The staphylococcus strains that cause ssss have genes that encode exfoliative toxins that destroy the proteins that connect cells together. That leads to the symptoms that give it it's name. Basically, the top layers of skin are no longer connected to the lower levels. Luckily, not for fish, only some S. aureus strains have that toxin and it usually only occurs in small children.
I dont know what any of that means....
but I had staph infection in both legs as a teen and it was .....really not fun.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

So glad the younger fish is back. That was a close call it sounds like.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:17 pm The staphylococcus strains that cause ssss have genes that encode exfoliative toxins that destroy the proteins that connect cells together. That leads to the symptoms that give it it's name. Basically, the top layers of skin are no longer connected to the lower levels. Luckily, not for fish, only some S. aureus strains have that toxin and it usually only occurs in small children.
Season Three of Loudermilk had a cameo by Cassandra Naud who has scarring on her face that I wonder wasn't secondary to that kind of infection. She is a wonderful actor and really seems to be coming on. That show is really about inclusiveness. They are getting a season Four I understand.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:27 am
Season Three of Loudermilk had a cameo by Cassandra Naud who has scarring on her face that I wonder wasn't secondary to that kind of infection. She is a wonderful actor and really seems to be coming on. That show is really about inclusiveness. They are getting a season Four I understand.
I didn't know who she was so I looked her up:

Cassandra Naud was born with a hairy birthmark under her left eye

22-year-old professional dancer Cassandra Naud was born with a large birthmark under her left eye, and although she begged for an operation to remove it in her youth, she now refuses to get one – she even says that she appreciates her unique appearance and that it helps her stand out in her field.

The Alberta, Canada-based dancer was teased throughout her youth for the birthmark, which is also covered in hair (hypertrichotic), but her parents were afraid to operate on it for fear that it would leave large scars on her face. Read on for more of her story!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:27 am
This daughter already looks exactly like me so I'm not sure she can be helped generally, BUT thankfully this particular infection is pretty superficial so the derm says she won't have any scarring/blotching.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

What does CHEMICAL fertilizer have to do with the rise of resistant stuff? I thought that the livestock manure being spread on the fields (carrying antibiotics from the livestock) was suspect (info from many years ago).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Just got back home from back surgery. Outpatient microdiscectomy to remove a chunk of stuff that had been pressing on a nerve. Loopy doopy still but functioning. Nice to be out of the hospital and back in my comfy bed. Time for some good tunes and nap time. Rock Chalk.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fingers crossed for a good recovery for you twocoach.