Vivek ramaswamy

Ugh.
randylahey

Re: Vivek ramaswamy

Post by randylahey »

This whole gender dysphoria thing is just irresponsible though. Its the equivalent of telling someone with schizophrenia that their delusions are real

Also, move on from covid, nobody cares. The power/money grab is over
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:45 am I care about nature more than anything. Habitat loss is a huge issue. Pollution is a huge issue. Loss of species and biodiversity is a huge issue. But the claim the world climate is spiraling out of control because we use Fossil fuels just isn't accurate. The animal agriculture industry is causing far more damage than the oil industry, and its not even close. The world has been much warmer in past eons and had higher levels of co2 in the atmosphere, and had thriving ecology
I don't know what you do for a living but I wish my bro in law was still alive to respond to you. Which I know he would have done in a manner he could/would have educated you respectfully.
My bro in law (may he Rest In Peace) had a Masters from M.I.T.
He was an environmentalist who had a 40 year career as an environmental engineer for a major US city.
His titles were - director of environment (as well as director of homeland security, director of health, and director of many various specific environmental programs).
I had a few brief discussions with him in regard to climate change (and yes "global warming"). He had very strong opinions based on data and facts as well as his "expert" thoughts and feelings.
Like I said, I know he would have been respectful to you buy my guess is my bro in law would say to me that he thinks (knows) you are mistaken.

Fossil fuels absolutely contribute to "climate change." If you believe in "climate change" I don't think you would disagree.
Just as I think you wouldn't disagree that fossil fuels consist of more than just "oil".
Sure, there may have been higher levels of co2 in the past but if so, we are talking MANY MANY years ago in the past. Right?
I don't know about "thriving ecology" in the past vs. the present but right or wrong (I'm pretty sure right) it seems maybe you don't comprehend the complexities of comparing the "animal agricultural industry" and "fossil fuels" by concluding "The animal agriculture industry is causing far more damage than the oil industry, and its not even close".
Can/will you please provide facts/data that prove what you say is true. I swear I thank you for peaking my curiosity and would like to learn more about what you claim.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:49 am This whole gender dysphoria thing is just irresponsible though. Its the equivalent of telling someone with schizophrenia that their delusions are real

Also, move on from covid, nobody cares. The power/money grab is over
Interesting that you seem to fully understand gender dysphoria and have such a strong opinion of it.
I have a very close relative who is going through it now. Seems maybe you think you have better understanding what they are going through than he (she?) and his (her?) fully supportive parents are going through. Yes? No? Maybe?
Regardless, your "equivalent" analogy is interesting. To YOU, a person with schizophrenia has delusions that are NOT real. To them, they can be very real. On the outside, to YOU, they may be wrong about what they believe but on the inside are they wrong for feeling (I didn't say believing - I said feeling) the way they do?

As far as Covid, people do still care. Not many, but some.
So your claim that "nobody cares" is false.
FWIW (nothing to you - something to me) The woman who lives across the hall from my mother, if she hasn't died yet, has Covid and is in the ICU 2 blocks from where I live. Before you pretend to know she may have or did have some underlying condition, perhaps she did/does but she wasn't in the hospital in ICU before she contracted Covid.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:49 am This whole gender dysphoria thing is just irresponsible though. Its the equivalent of telling someone with schizophrenia that their delusions are real
You sure have strong opinions about the mental health of people you know nothing about, regarding things you know nothing about.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:47 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:45 am I care about nature more than anything. Habitat loss is a huge issue. Pollution is a huge issue. Loss of species and biodiversity is a huge issue. But the claim the world climate is spiraling out of control because we use Fossil fuels just isn't accurate. The animal agriculture industry is causing far more damage than the oil industry, and its not even close. The world has been much warmer in past eons and had higher levels of co2 in the atmosphere, and had thriving ecology
I don't know what you do for a living but I wish my bro in law was still alive to respond to you. Which I know he would have done in a manner he could/would have educated you respectfully.
My bro in law (may he Rest In Peace) had a Masters from M.I.T.
He was an environmentalist who had a 40 year career as an environmental engineer for a major US city.
His titles were - director of environment (as well as director of homeland security, director of health, and director of many various specific environmental programs).
I had a few brief discussions with him in regard to climate change (and yes "global warming"). He had very strong opinions based on data and facts as well as his "expert" thoughts and feelings.
Like I said, I know he would have been respectful to you buy my guess is my bro in law would say to me that he thinks (knows) you are mistaken.

Fossil fuels absolutely contribute to "climate change." If you believe in "climate change" I don't think you would disagree.
Just as I think you wouldn't disagree that fossil fuels consist of more than just "oil".
Sure, there may have been higher levels of co2 in the past but if so, we are talking MANY MANY years ago in the past. Right?
I don't know about "thriving ecology" in the past vs. the present but right or wrong (I'm pretty sure right) it seems maybe you don't comprehend the complexities of comparing the "animal agricultural industry" and "fossil fuels" by concluding "The animal agriculture industry is causing far more damage than the oil industry, and its not even close".
Can/will you please provide facts/data that prove what you say is true. I swear I thank you for peaking my curiosity and would like to learn more about what you claim.
You may not understand the devastation of the animal agriculture industry. And its something that isn't talked about enough. For whatever reason all fingers are pointed at Fossil fuels instead

The number one cause of habitat loss, species extinction, loss of biodiversity, the cutting down of the rainforest, deadzones in the ocean, desertification of fertile soils
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And rainbows, I'm all for renewable clean energies. I beleive it the future. Solar energy is a resource we need to continue to research and improve, there is limitless potential there. And im not saying fossil fuel pollution is a good thing.

All I'm saying is the climate isn't spiraling out of control the way the climate change media wants you to beleive.

Climate change has been a constant thing on earth. So has extinction of some species and evolution/adaptation of others. Humans are causing a mass extinction of species on earth right now, but that has more to do with habitat loss than fossil feuls
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

In previous eras, the earth was warmer and there were higher co2 levels than what we are seeing today or even approaching. And live still thrived
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 am In previous eras, the earth was warmer and there were higher co2 levels than what we are seeing today or even approaching. And live still thrived
Humans. Were there any humans during those times?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yes, and dinosaurs.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

zsn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:43 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:10 am In previous eras, the earth was warmer and there were higher co2 levels than what we are seeing today or even approaching. And live still thrived
Hi. Before humans climate change was a normal part of the earths history. The planet has always been going through cycles of warming and cooling
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am

Climate change has been a constant thing on earth. So has extinction of some species and evolution/adaptation of others. Humans are causing a mass extinction of species on earth right now, but that has more to do with habitat loss than fossil feuls
Your thoughts aren’t completely wrong. You are arguing these items independent of one another. Human behavior, though, like nature, is an intertwined ecosystem. Sure, animals are becoming extinct as they lose habitat rapidly. This habitat loss, though, is sped by modern machinery that burns fossil fuels in a fossil fuel burning world.

Sure, carbon dioxide has been higher, but not for longer than many people believe humans to have inhabited the earth. And never has it spiked so quickly.

Also, you are mentioning things that are consequential today. Habitat is loss, so species die out. Not untrue. You aren’t addressing, or downplaying the significance of a rapidly (again, relative to historical data) heating planet, which, by most studies, doesn’t bode well for any generation down the line, be it horses, giraffes, giant squid, or humans.

Unfortunately, much like the actual physical sciences, the social sciences also don’t operate in a vacuum, where variables such as friction (opposing view points) and inertia (our desire to live our lives happy as we know them) have an impact on final results and the possibility to skew what does happen with what should happen.

I’ve got about 25 years left, give or take. I grow more cynical about humans being able to get over themselves enough (whatever that may mean to each individual, or group) to figure it out. But, some other generation shall see.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randy - Thanks for your responses.
in regards to your last post, I'm a bit confused - and admit stupid.
I thought on 5th or 6th day God created "man". Was that on Earth? If so, are you saying climate change was normal on days 1 through 5 / 6 ?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Co2 actually is to plants what oxygen is to humans. A warming world will actually become lush. with vegetation

Its debatable if the co2 levels have ever spiked like this. Hard to get exact measurements on a geologic scale for just how quickly they've spiked in the past. Stuff like coming out of ice ages and releasing a lot of greenhouse gases frozen in the ground, volcanic eruptions etc
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But humans are most likely increasing the rate at which an already warming world is warming. But we just came out of an ice age in geologically recent past, before fossil feuls were our main source of power.

And when you think about how much the sun and even our own moon regulate our climate on earth, and just how small we still are, you realize us using fossil feuls is pretty miniscule in the grand scheme of things. There is a whole universe of factors that contributes to earth's climate
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

You mean back when humans had livestock but didn't use fossil fuels?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sadly, the climate change issue is often confronted with the same failed logic as the gun violence issue: some will go to the ENDS OF THE EARTH to avoid even the suggestion that the most important factor...is the most important factor.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:35 am Sadly, the climate change issue is often confronted with the same failed logic as the gun violence issue: some will go to the ENDS OF THE EARTH to avoid even the suggestion that the most important factor...is the most important factor.
Same as in the vaccine “debate”. Much is missed/ignored. I guess just because life can sustain itself, and life can, doesn’t it’s the same quality and kind of life and lifestyle. There are many civilizations who died out or disappeared due to localized climate change. But then those haven’t yet been part of the syllabus at ONN and other related echo chambers.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:01 am
zsn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:43 am
Hi. Before humans climate change was a normal part of the earths history. The planet has always been going through cycles of warming and cooling
No shit, Sherlock. That is common knowledge. Humans are just hitting the literal and metaphorical gas pedal on it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:35 am Sadly, the climate change issue is often confronted with the same failed logic as the gun violence issue: some will go to the ENDS OF THE EARTH to avoid even the suggestion that the most important factor...is the most important factor.
It just cycles back to the same lazy, selfish "I don't want to have to do anything that requires my own personal effort or have anything done by others that might in any way negatively impact what and how I want to do things" logic. It's like being surrounded by toddlers.

You suck as a fellow member of our society.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:48 am
It just cycles back to the same lazy, selfish "I don't want to have to do anything that requires my own personal effort or have anything done by others that might in any way negatively impact what and how I want to do things" logic. It's like being surrounded by toddlers.

You suck as a fellow member of our society.
I think it's even worse than that - because absolutely everything must be shoved through the culture war loyalty test filter, what's happening is that, to maintain their bona fides in the group, rubes are forced to mindlessly (but confidently) parrot nonsense talking points that have the veneer of science (but not, you know, the rigor or substance).