2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I highly doubt we'd see Ingram as such a priority target if the chances were that great that McCullar was coming back. That being said, putting together a fantasy lineup out of who is available and who we know KU is interested in would probably look something like:

Harris
Timberlake
Ingram
KJ
Dickinson
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Still not a huge fan of that lineup, seems to lack quickness. Would almost prefer to have Jackson in that starting lineup over either Ingram or KJ
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I will be glad if/when the newness of all of this settles a bit, and we (Kansas) don’t see quite so much turnover year to year. I fully support NIL, and I also think there should not be rules against player movement…but I do hope the NIL market gravitates toward structures where guys stay at places like Kansas longer (and that’s what logic suggests should happen, but I suppose we’ll see).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bill gonna put KJ in sets next year where he's going right at the rim like Wilson was this season. Gonna be a freakishly explosive wreckingball attacking the rim
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:50 am I highly doubt we'd see Ingram as such a priority target if the chances were that great that McCullar was coming back. That being said, putting together a fantasy lineup out of who is available and who we know KU is interested in would probably look something like:

Harris
Timberlake
Ingram
KJ
Dickinson
I think it's a pretty bad sign if Timberlake transfers and starts over a freshman all year. One of them should be able to take that spot and Timberlake is an ideal 6th/7th man who can rain 3s off the bench, but is too limited to start for a NC contender.

Wish they'd been able to make more of a run at Cryer, but it sounds like being a primary PG was non-negotiable for him.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:56 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:50 am I highly doubt we'd see Ingram as such a priority target if the chances were that great that McCullar was coming back. That being said, putting together a fantasy lineup out of who is available and who we know KU is interested in would probably look something like:

Harris
Timberlake
Ingram
KJ
Dickinson
I think it's a pretty bad sign if Timberlake transfers and starts over a freshman all year. One of them should be able to take that spot and Timberlake is an ideal 6th/7th man who can rain 3s off the bench, but is too limited to start for a NC contender.

Wish they'd been able to make more of a run at Cryer, but it sounds like being a primary PG was non-negotiable for him.
We see this same argument every year

How often are freshman guards actually good as freshman? Especially in bills system. Look at mj rice this past season. He was a better prospect coming out of highschool than any of these guys except maybe elmarko, ranked similarly

I have more faith in the guy with a few years college experience and can actually shoot
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:02 pm
ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:56 am I think it's a pretty bad sign if Timberlake transfers and starts over a freshman all year. One of them should be able to take that spot and Timberlake is an ideal 6th/7th man who can rain 3s off the bench, but is too limited to start for a NC contender.

How often are freshman guards actually good as freshman? Especially in bills system. Look at mj rice this past season. He was a better prospect coming out of highschool than any of these guys except maybe elmarko, ranked similarly

I have more faith in the guy with a few years college experience and can actually shoot
We do see a version of this argument every year that takes for granted that every Kansas freshman should be good immediately. That's not my point. I'm saying that, of the four, one should be good enough to start over a somewhat limited transfer from Towson, at least by midseason. I think that's totally reasonable.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:08 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:02 pm
ChicagoHawk wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:56 am I think it's a pretty bad sign if Timberlake transfers and starts over a freshman all year. One of them should be able to take that spot and Timberlake is an ideal 6th/7th man who can rain 3s off the bench, but is too limited to start for a NC contender.

We do see a version of this argument every year that takes for granted that every Kansas freshman should be good immediately. That's not my point. I'm saying that, of the four, one should be good enough to start over a somewhat limited transfer from Towson, at least by midseason. I think that's totally reasonable.
This is the problem with recruiting in general whether it be freshmen or from the portal. We've already made up our minds that the kid can't be THAT good so why does it matter?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i prefer to develop players.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

How is Timberlake limited? If you're under the impression he's not athletic because he's white, you'd be mistaken
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake is probably a lot better than you think. The guy can score. He isn't "limited" he's a proven shooter that just averaged 17 a game and has several years of d1 experience. And he's got some hops. He's a volume shooter that shoots a high percentage, that would be joining a team that desperately needs shooting. He would be a much better fit that some mistake prone freshman, which they all tend to be, some worse than others
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

"Over the last two seasons combined, Timberlake has taken 413 3-point shots (206.5 per season) and has knocked down 41.2 percent of them. To put that into perspective, Gradey Dick took 206 3-point attempts this past season and knocked down 40.3 percent of them."
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Harris
Timberlake
Ingram
KJ
Dickinson
Ingram's 39.8/31.6/62.9 shooting is not something I'm clamoring for.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Timberlake might be the most important player in the transfer portal for us. Or someone like him. We NEED shooting
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

I agree with virtually everything being said here. Again, I think the best case scenario is that one of the freshmen is good enough to be starting by midseason and Timberlake is an excellent, 15-20 min/game role player.

He was at Towson for five years. The best teams he played last year were Clemson and Charleston. He has strengths that could really benefit next year's team, but there's only so much that he'll do well at this level.

Similar to what Randy said about my earlier statement, this dynamic also plays out every year, across college basketball. People set expectations too high for transfers that have never proven themselves against high-level competition and end up disappointed that they're no longer dominant.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:28 pm i prefer to develop players.
Me, too but virtually every player we had who was that type of player left town via the portal so here we are.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dajuan and kj been developing pretty nice.

Zuby udeh and cuffe stuck around
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:39 pm

Harris
Timberlake
Ingram
KJ
Dickinson
Ingram's 39.8/31.6/62.9 shooting is not something I'm clamoring for.
Yeah, that's my concern.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I mentioned Juan should be a big draw to transfers - Hunter Dickinson is a fan apparently.

https://twitter.com/NoContextKUBB/statu ... 94758?s=20
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Don't forget about Elmarko. He may be one of the rare freshman guards to make an immediate impact.