2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by Mjl »

I'd love to just see Dickinson and have McCullar and Cuffe return. You're at 12 then.

We got our athletic shooter, which was what we needed.

From reading between the lines of Self's comments, it sounds like Cuffe is going to be pushed out if Self can get a transfer to replace him. And I would rather not see that.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Timberlake is a huge get. Shooter.

Now get Dickinson and maybe the Texas transfer PG, bring McCullar back and let's roll.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

In which case, lineup is
Harris
Timberlake
McCullar
KJ
Dickinson

Jackson with big minutes off the bench. Adams maybe as well? And Udeh when Dickinson is out.

Solid. Size, defense, experience, enough shooting... It's a top 5 team.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I guess I'm not as confident about McCullar's return as some here are. I'd be stoked if he came back but I refuse to get my hopes up.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:06 pm I guess I'm not as confident about McCullar's return as some here are. I'd be stoked if he came back but I refuse to get my hopes up.
I am in the same boat. He should come back as I don't see any way he gets drafted but who knows. Frankly, I don't think McCullar is good enough to sell the whole "look what guys like Graham, Agbaji and Wilson did with another year" shtick. McCullar wouldn't be the guy next year at KU. He just isn't skilled enough as a scorer to be a 1st team AA caliber player.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Timberlake turns 25 in August, making him one of the oldest players in all of college basketball

i like
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:11 pm
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:06 pm I guess I'm not as confident about McCullar's return as some here are. I'd be stoked if he came back but I refuse to get my hopes up.
I am in the same boat. He should come back as I don't see any way he gets drafted but who knows. Frankly, I don't think McCullar is good enough to sell the whole "look what guys like Graham, Agbaji and Wilson did with another year" shtick. McCullar wouldn't be the guy next year at KU. He just isn't skilled enough as a scorer to be a 1st team AA caliber player.
Self said something along the lines of mccullar would be as good as those guys in a different way. He could have a ridiculously big impact on KU next season, but it won't be as a guy who averages 20 a game. No reason he can't be our best or 2nd best player next season tho, with his ability to take over games defensively and with rebounding. Hes a good offensive player. Great passer, versatile can handle and finish inside. He just isn't a great shooter, but can obviously hit some shots
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jameer Nelson Jr committed to tcu i guess. One of the top transfers in the portal, averaged 20 a game at Delaware
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Timberlake definitely has some hops.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:59 pm I'd love to just see Dickinson and have McCullar and Cuffe return. You're at 12 then.

From reading between the lines of Self's comments, it sounds like Cuffe is going to be pushed out if Self can get a transfer to replace him. And I would rather not see that.
Yes develop Cuffe.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:31 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:59 pm I'd love to just see Dickinson and have McCullar and Cuffe return. You're at 12 then.

Yes develop Cuffe.
He has been on our roster for 7 years….
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:02 pm

Yes develop Cuffe.
He will be a freshman next season.. lol
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Overlander wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:02 pm

Yes develop Cuffe.
Exactly. Has two years of gaining experience and four years of eligibility left.

Sucks that he hasn't really played in a game in three years. Didn't play his last year of HS either IIRC
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Dickinson set to visit uk
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

From Mike Vernon (so take it for what it's worth):

Former Towson guard Nick Timberlake committed to Kansas on Wednesday afternoon. Landing Timberlake is a significant win for the Jayhawks, and I'll get to his commitment later in the newsletter.

Hunter Dickinson starts his visit to Kansas this evening. He'll be in Lawrence until Sunday. He also just scheduled a visit to Kentucky right after the visit to KU. I will share more on this shortly as well.

This is KU's biggest recruiting trip since it hosted Andrew Wiggins. The visit feels bigger than everything else. It’s like Tiger Woods teeing off at Augusta, the Beatles walking into Shea Stadium, Todd Reesing stepping into The Hawk. All legends in their rightful home.

Kansas just completed its visit with PG Arterio Morris. The former five-star played one year at Texas before entering the portal.

The Hearings:
I'm Hearing Dickinson and Timberlake have been in contact. I believe they spoke before Timberlake committed. There's some hope that this is a good sign, but it's impossible to say it's anything more.

Kansas can now offer an elite point guard in Dajuan Harris and a veteran in Timberlake who can space the floor. The Jayhawks pummeled other teams with as much pick-and-roll as anyone in the country last year. Running that offense with Harris and Dickinson as your first two options with Timberlake as your third is lethal.

Dickinson knows it, too. Here’s what he said on a Barstool Sports podcast about Dajuan: “Harris is one of the best guards in the country, bro. I love his game. He’s the perfect point guard; he’s a floor general out there. I love his game.”

Dickinson's visit to Kentucky is a massive wildcard in the recruitment. Before the visit, I liked KU's chances. I still do, but it's hard to say where Kentucky stands if they are genuinely "all-in" with Dickinson.

I'm Hearing Arterio Morris' visit went well for Kansas. If he wants to come, I’d expect Kansas to take the transfer. I like KU’s spot here.

I'm not saying Morris will commit, but if it does happen, it leaves Kansas one open scholarship with Hunter Dickinson outstanding. There is belief KU will figure it out if they want to take more players.

There's been speculation around four-star commit Chris Johnson potentially re-opening his recruitment after he removed his commitment post from his Instagram. While KU could use the extra scholarship, I'm hearing his status is currently unchanged. However, he's closely watching what KU does in the portal. I'm guessing this is where the fourth scholarship spot could come for KU. Just a guess.

Former 5-star wing Harrison Ingram is expected to visit Kansas next week. He's currently visiting North Carolina. While Ingram has primarily been considered a favorite to land at KU, I'm Hearing there has been some concern about his athleticism as a roster fit. There is also emerging thought that he could commit to UNC on the visit. The information here hasn’t been consistent at all.

Kansas remains in contact with Texas Tech transfer Jaylon Tyson. There's a chance the 6’7” sharp-shooting wing could visit. There are also some concerns about him as a fit playing for Bill Self after dealing with a difficult coach in Mark Adams.

I think KU would currently take Tyson over Ingram if it needed to choose.

The Jayhawks are also in contact with Mackenzie Mgbako, a five-star power-forward type who recently was released from his letter of intent to play for Duke. I don't know how serious these conversations are. There's a chance Mgbako visits as well.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfc

the drama and intrigue is kinda entertaining
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:21 pm From Mike Vernon (so take it for what it's worth):

Former Towson guard Nick Timberlake committed to Kansas on Wednesday afternoon. Landing Timberlake is a significant win for the Jayhawks, and I'll get to his commitment later in the newsletter.

Hunter Dickinson starts his visit to Kansas this evening. He'll be in Lawrence until Sunday. He also just scheduled a visit to Kentucky right after the visit to KU. I will share more on this shortly as well.

This is KU's biggest recruiting trip since it hosted Andrew Wiggins. The visit feels bigger than everything else. It’s like Tiger Woods teeing off at Augusta, the Beatles walking into Shea Stadium, Todd Reesing stepping into The Hawk. All legends in their rightful home.

Kansas just completed its visit with PG Arterio Morris. The former five-star played one year at Texas before entering the portal.

The Hearings:
I'm Hearing Dickinson and Timberlake have been in contact. I believe they spoke before Timberlake committed. There's some hope that this is a good sign, but it's impossible to say it's anything more.

Kansas can now offer an elite point guard in Dajuan Harris and a veteran in Timberlake who can space the floor. The Jayhawks pummeled other teams with as much pick-and-roll as anyone in the country last year. Running that offense with Harris and Dickinson as your first two options with Timberlake as your third is lethal.

Dickinson knows it, too. Here’s what he said on a Barstool Sports podcast about Dajuan: “Harris is one of the best guards in the country, bro. I love his game. He’s the perfect point guard; he’s a floor general out there. I love his game.”

Dickinson's visit to Kentucky is a massive wildcard in the recruitment. Before the visit, I liked KU's chances. I still do, but it's hard to say where Kentucky stands if they are genuinely "all-in" with Dickinson.

I'm Hearing Arterio Morris' visit went well for Kansas. If he wants to come, I’d expect Kansas to take the transfer. I like KU’s spot here.

I'm not saying Morris will commit, but if it does happen, it leaves Kansas one open scholarship with Hunter Dickinson outstanding. There is belief KU will figure it out if they want to take more players.

There's been speculation around four-star commit Chris Johnson potentially re-opening his recruitment after he removed his commitment post from his Instagram. While KU could use the extra scholarship, I'm hearing his status is currently unchanged. However, he's closely watching what KU does in the portal. I'm guessing this is where the fourth scholarship spot could come for KU. Just a guess.

Former 5-star wing Harrison Ingram is expected to visit Kansas next week. He's currently visiting North Carolina. While Ingram has primarily been considered a favorite to land at KU, I'm Hearing there has been some concern about his athleticism as a roster fit. There is also emerging thought that he could commit to UNC on the visit. The information here hasn’t been consistent at all.

Kansas remains in contact with Texas Tech transfer Jaylon Tyson. There's a chance the 6’7” sharp-shooting wing could visit. There are also some concerns about him as a fit playing for Bill Self after dealing with a difficult coach in Mark Adams.

I think KU would currently take Tyson over Ingram if it needed to choose.

The Jayhawks are also in contact with Mackenzie Mgbako, a five-star power-forward type who recently was released from his letter of intent to play for Duke. I don't know how serious these conversations are. There's a chance Mgbako visits as well.
I respect the hustle, but some significant portion of the "work" here is aggregating cryptic things in Twitter posts and trying to stitch it together into a cohesive story. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I stopped living and dying with recruiting a while ago...wake me up when there's a roster.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

wait, didn’t Chris Johnson just sign his NLI?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He might have signed what's called a "grant-in-aid" agreement, which lets the school talk about him, but isn't a National Letter of Intent.

(For what it's worth - the National Letter of Intent is garbage, and no kid with any leverage, which includes every recruit of ours, should ever sign one.)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“This is KUs biggest recruiting trip since it hosted Andrew Wiggins.”

God do I not like Vernon.