2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:21 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:26 pm You don't.
But you can make grandiose and ambiguous comments like that to deflect as if you do.
And god the whole I came from nothing too.

Eyes rocketing out of my skull.
Learn something new (about myself) every day, I guess. Good talk.
Awesome!
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Dickinson visiting Kentucky today is somewhat concerning; seems like he's gonna go where he can get the most NIL money...so maybe all UK has to do is out-bid KU.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:40 pm Dickinson visiting Kentucky today is somewhat concerning; seems like he's gonna go where he can get the most NIL money...so maybe all UK has to do is out-bid KU.
Youre correct, it is a bidding war. Hes the top recruit in the country. But his ceiling is probably a big skilled guy who's not athletic enough to play in the NBA but can be an absolutely dominant college player. He should visit all the Kansas/Kentucky type schools. And he should try to cash in while he can. His pro career isn't guaranteed, but he can get paid in college now.

"It is what it is"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Its just one more piece of the recruiting puzzle to factor nowadays. You've always been selling your program, coach, development, facilities, play style, fit, etc

Now NIL money is just one more piece of the puzzle. I dont see it hurting kansas. It's tough for other schools to compete against us recruiting. Thats just one more factor they have to try to match or beat
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

these bidding wars are a standard thing among the biology students, and the econ majors too.

Its about time the student athletes got the same treatment and opportunities as the rest of the students.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Step back, fadeaway.
Swish.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:56 pm Harrison Ingram committed to UNC...I think we all saw this coming after he "postponed" his visit to KU.
Sounds like part of the reason Ingram didn't visit KU is because the staff was upfront and told him that Jaylon Tyson was their priority (in the portal) at the position.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 77952/Amp/

i like him just because of his name
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

thanks to the forward thinkers. the semi pro collegiate like athletes will be able to retire after their 4-5-6 years of eligibility expires.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:18 pm thanks to the forward thinkers. the semi pro collegiate like athletes will be able to retire after their 4-5-6 years of eligibility expires.
just like standard students
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

exactly. what russian lit major can't retire after the eligibility expires. the slackers maybe.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:20 am these bidding wars are a standard thing among the biology students, and the econ majors too.

Its about time the student athletes got the same treatment and opportunities as the rest of the students.
You're missing the point. Equal and equitable aren't the same thing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:16 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:20 am these bidding wars are a standard thing among the biology students, and the econ majors too.

im not missing anything
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:24 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:16 pm

im not missing anything
You're conflating the two things though, and they're just not the same.

"Equal" is people should get the same treatment, regardless of context. That's definitely not what I'm saying.

"Equitable" is people should get the same opportunities, in context. That's what I'm saying.

If you want to argue that college sports is better off if the players are prohibited from getting x/y/z, then make that argument. I probably won't agree with you, for a lot of reasons, but I can see making that argument in good faith.

Argue against what I'm actually saying, though.

Do you think that, generally, a college student with unique marketability and value should be allowed to capitalize on that value while in college?

If (generally) "no," why not?

And if (generally) "yes," but "no if it's from sports," tell me why sports are different.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ive made my position, opinion, and arguments fairly clear over the last yesr or 2. Im not going g to rehash the entire argument.

Thanks for the condescending vocabulary lesson though. Not sure i could've made it the rest of the day without the refresher.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:45 pm ive made my position, opinion, and arguments fairly clear over the last yesr or 2. Im not going g to rehash the entire argument.

Thanks for the condescending vocabulary lesson though. Not sure i could've made it the rest of the day without the refresher.
Ok. You conflated the two things, which aren’t the same things. And mischaracterizing points (creating straw men) happens a fair amount around here. So I spelled things out so that it’s right there in plain text. No offense was meant.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

I don't know how any of you have the will to continue going round and round with these dipshits. They are never, ever going to be happy about college athletes getting compensated for the value they provide to the university. I'm usually up for an argument, but if you're still pissing and moaning about athletes getting paid, I don't know what to tell you.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:13 pm I don't know how any of you have the will to continue going round and round with these dipshits. They are never, ever going to be happy about college athletes getting compensated for the value they provide to the university. I'm usually up for an argument, but if you're still pissing and moaning about athletes getting paid, I don't know what to tell you.
Rigteous. I mean millions of dollars traded daily on their work.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:51 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:45 pm ive made my position, opinion, and arguments fairly clear over the last yesr or 2. Im not going g to rehash the entire argument.

Ok. You conflated the two things, which aren’t the same things. And mischaracterizing points (creating straw men) happens a fair amount around here. So I spelled things out so that it’s right there in plain text. No offense was meant.
good lord. I didnt conflate anything, and I'm well aware of the definition of the words.

I know I'm not a lawyer but I do speak English. Jesus Cristo.
Just Ledoux it
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:40 pm Dickinson visiting Kentucky today is somewhat concerning; seems like he's gonna go where he can get the most NIL money...so maybe all UK has to do is out-bid KU.
In that case, I don't want him! I only want recruits who choose the University of Kansas for the world-class education. Money should not play a role at all here. Just like the old days.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser