huggs, goodness ...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: huggs, goodness ...

Post by jfish26 »

West Virginia seems like the not-easiest place for LGBTQ+ people.

To me, it’s a horrible look for one of the two most prominent West Virginians in existence (the other being Manchin) to demonstrate this sort of casual, ah, approach.

Do I think Huggins is a bigot, in his heart? Dunno. But having the willingness (or even eagerness) to say this sort of thing in a public forum doesn’t make me think this ISN’T who he is in private.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:32 am I mean, he probably should have already been banned for calling Dajuan a POS.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
surly

Post by surly »

Shakespearian tragedy. :?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

bob huggins made his bed. what becomes of him is meaningless to me.

my guess is he will resign.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am West Virginia seems like the not-easiest place for LGBTQ+ people.

To me, it’s a horrible look for one of the two most prominent West Virginians in existence (the other being Manchin) to demonstrate this sort of casual, ah, approach.

Do I think Huggins is a bigot, in his heart? Dunno. But having the willingness (or even eagerness) to say this sort of thing in a public forum doesn’t make me think this ISN’T who he is in private.
Thr problem is convincing some people that "this is just the mentality that I grew up around in my community" means that you grew up in a passively bigoted community. It doesn't make it OK to continue this mentality of bigotry just because your daddy and neighbors were passive bigots.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:26 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:38 am West Virginia seems like the not-easiest place for LGBTQ+ people.

Thr problem is convincing some people that "this is just the mentality that I grew up around in my community" means that you grew up in a passively bigoted community. It doesn't make it OK to continue this mentality of bigotry just because your daddy and neighbors were passive bigots.
It's also just part of the deal you make, when you take millions of bucks to be a public figure. You sign up for a higher standard.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 pm
TDub wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:23 pm I like Huggins, hope this doesn't end his career....but it likely might.
Why should it? Such a soft ass country we live in. Somebody says the word "fag" and a 40 year career is maybe gone you think. There is absolutely ZERO reason he should lose his job over this lol. Not sure why anyone would even consider that

Who really gives a shit? Why is cancel culture and soft sensitive america such a thing
Who really gives a shit? Many who aren't a heterosexual and anyone who has empathy for those who are treated as less of a human for being different than the majority

Why is cancel culture such a thing? For 2 reasons, one legit and one not:
1) because just ignoring bigoted crap like this hasn't resulted in it ending so it is apparent that there needs to be more negative consequences if we are to stomp it out
2) because some people are snowflakes who want to punish others for doing something they don't like
surly

Post by surly »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:32 am
randylahey wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:25 pm
TDub wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:23 pm I like Huggins, hope this doesn't end his career....but it likely might.
Why should it? Such a soft ass country we live in. Somebody says the word "fag" and a 40 year career is maybe gone you think. There is absolutely ZERO reason he should lose his job over this lol. Not sure why anyone would even consider that

Who really gives a shit? Why is cancel culture and soft sensitive america such a thing
Who really gives a shit? Many who aren't a heterosexual and anyone who has empathy for those who are treated as less of a human for being different than the majority

Why is cancel culture such a thing? For 2 reasons, one legit and one not:
1) because just ignoring bigoted crap like this hasn't resulted in it ending so it is apparent that there needs to be more negative consequences if we are to stomp it out
2) because some people are snowflakes who want to punish others for doing something they don't like
What you're getting at is the blind spot that comes from not being in a minority group. Representation does matter. And casual minimizing/marginalizing/etc absolutely does matter.
surly

Post by surly »

hugg's was ethically out of bounds, wearing a tin ear when he said that. it was ignorant. perhaps he was drunk. thought his comments would be edited out before broadcast. idk?

but in today's world he will have to deal with the consequences. a shakespearian tragedy of sorts with all the trappings woke youngsters now label old white guys, deservedly so in this case.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I lean towards not 'cancelling' people for things said in private affairs ( i.e. recording a conversation without consent and then leaking that conversation or leaking a private email not associated with your place of work ).

But this was on the radio directly related to his job.
For everyone to hear.
I prefer a warning/strike before instant axing and would hope that WVU goes that route ( i.e. maybe he has to meet with leaders in WVU's LGBT community and spend an afternoon talking things over ).
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

This thread...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea.
CR would probably give it a D- at best.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

surly wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:56 am a shakespearian tragedy of sorts with all the trappings woke youngsters now label old white guys, deservedly so in this case.
HAHAHAHA, holy shit!
surly

Post by surly »

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/09/b ... le-offense

But Monday, he’s an even harder guy to still keep around. Kowtowing to Huggins’s clout and cachet would send a signal that West Virginia cares more about him than those he marginalized by speaking his closed mind.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Kowtowing to Huggins’s clout and cachet would send a signal that West Virginia cares more about him than those he marginalized by speaking his closed mind."

This isn't 0's and 1's absolute here though.
Not firing him doesn't mean that WVU doesn't care about those he marginalized.
That isn't the only course of action here.

The ultimatums of, "this person is either fired or that means everyone in the organization is terrible/racist/sexist/homophobic" is meh-tastic.

It's also meh-tastic if simply talking about this without the standard full agreement is raising alarms to label or infer that I ( or others who aren't fully on bored with the only course of action is firing ) believe what Huggins did wasn't wrong.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

correct
Just Ledoux it
surly

Post by surly »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:12 pm The irony here....

https://twitter.com/CoachHuggs/status/1 ... 1025113090
On August 19, 2020, while providing commentary on Fox Sports Ohio for the first game of an away doubleheader between the Reds and the Kansas City Royals, Brennaman was caught on a hot mic calling a city, later revealed to be San Francisco, "one of the fag capitals of the world."
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:26 pm "Kowtowing to Huggins’s clout and cachet would send a signal that West Virginia cares more about him than those he marginalized by speaking his closed mind."

This isn't 0's and 1's absolute here though.
Not firing him doesn't mean that WVU doesn't care about those he marginalized.
That isn't the only course of action here.

The ultimatums of, "this person is either fired or that means everyone in the organization is terrible/racist/sexist/homophobic" is meh-tastic.

It's also meh-tastic if simply talking about this without the standard full agreement is raising alarms to label or infer that I ( or others who aren't fully on bored with the only course of action is firing ) believe what Huggins did wasn't wrong.
I hate always liking your takes