2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by KUTradition »

AlOerter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:09 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:02 pm
AlOerter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:58 pm We've had some guys here who really developed into fine players after 2 or 3 years. I guess those days are over. The portal gives them the ability to go somewhere that has a hole at their position and play right away.

The times , they are a-changin.

How long before the trades start happening in college sports?
They already are in a roundabout way. They should at least limit the number of times a player could transfer.
^^^^^^

everyone gets a free-be…but then there needs to be restrictions/penalties in place to prevent annual exodus and turnover. even if it just means sitting out a year and loosing that year of eligibility, it’d be better than nothing
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Don't know if anyone else has posted this. Zuby's reasons are sound. https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 07161.html
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

:/

"Of the portal leading to a lot of roster turnover throughout college basketball, Philachack said: “I am shocked. The old days of the Ochai’s (Agbaji) and J-Will’s (Jalen Wilson), four years of keeping a player are done. This is a new era. You will get new players every year. Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Villanova will get the best every year. My opinion is mid-major schools will be a G League for the high majors."

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 07161.html
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My opinion is.....
Some of you got what you asked for.
As Kansas Basketball fans, it probably works in our favor. As college basketball fans, it probably doesn't.
I look at CU Football and what a COACH has the ability to do and I realize I'm not really a fan of college athletics anymore - until game day/s.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:27 pm :/

"Of the portal leading to a lot of roster turnover throughout college basketball, Philachack said: “I am shocked. The old days of the Ochai’s (Agbaji) and J-Will’s (Jalen Wilson), four years of keeping a player are done. This is a new era. You will get new players every year. Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Villanova will get the best every year. My opinion is mid-major schools will be a G League for the high majors."

Hes right.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Maybe in 2 seasons when can rerecruit ejiofor to come back and finish it where it started
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It seems like both bad policy and bad politics.
Bad politics in that this just isn't the college basketball we fell in love with.
Bad policy in that - I haven't seen this lead to actual results on the court.

But I also don't think it's the end of college basketball. It's closer to, almost exactly, the changes when one-and-done started.
Bad politics - these guys are going to college for one year taking garbage classes for one semester with no intent of graduation.
Bad policy - other than one Kentucky championship and one Duke championship (that deserves an asterisk due to insanely awful one-sided officiating), it didn't produce results.

Just like with OAD, you need a mix of veterans with one or two new studs. That's produced the best results.

If programs realize that, then they won't be willing to pay as much for new guys, and the politics side will get better.

The key there is the guys who stay have value in that they promote team chemistry, know the plays, know how their teammates play, etc. The pay should reflect that value. Instead right now the pay is better for transfers because of competition.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Didn't they change the rule - maybe it was just a proposal - one free transfer, sit after subsequent ones
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Arjhawk wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:51 pm Didn't they change the rule - maybe it was just a proposal - one free transfer, sit after subsequent ones
I thought so too - I don't understand why that doesn't seem to be happening?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:48 pm It seems like both bad policy and bad politics.
Bad politics in that this just isn't the college basketball we fell in love with.
Bad policy in that - I haven't seen this lead to actual results on the court.

But I also don't think it's the end of college basketball. It's closer to, almost exactly, the changes when one-and-done started.
Bad politics - these guys are going to college for one year taking garbage classes for one semester with no intent of graduation.
Bad policy - other than one Kentucky championship and one Duke championship (that deserves an asterisk due to insanely awful one-sided officiating), it didn't produce results.

Just like with OAD, you need a mix of veterans with one or two new studs. That's produced the best results.

If programs realize that, then they won't be willing to pay as much for new guys, and the politics side will get better.

The key there is the guys who stay have value in that they promote team chemistry, know the plays, know how their teammates play, etc. The pay should reflect that value. Instead right now the pay is better for transfers because of competition.
A plus post.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:27 pm :/

Philachack said in leaving on good terms, “maybe in three to four weeks if a scholarship is open (at KU) we may end up back here. If a spot is open in three to four weeks I’m sure coach (Self) would be open to take him back. We will do our visits and do everything possible to find a good spot for Zuby. I’m sure in a couple hours my phone will be blowing up (from other schools).”

Self told The Star in a phone conversation Friday one never knows about the future, especially in this day and age.

“We love Zuby. We wish him all the best. We’d have to re-evaluate where we are in three to four weeks,” Self said. “When someone is making a decision to enter the portal, they are saying they are looking for something else. It’d be silly for us to wait on the answer but obviously I’d revisit anything at the correct time.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
Selfs gotta say that.
He’s a smart dude.

Master on the court during games, teaching the sport outside of them, saying the right things to the recruits, letting the Kansas team around him buy the players he wants and then managing the media.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

College ball is still a minor league for NBA. How many go straight from high school to G-League? How many move up from G-League to NBA?

Back to transfers, Mbako would complete the home run class for 23-24. Kid's got big time skills.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sounds like he had a very good visit. Going to Indiana this weekend but potentially announcing early next week. if we get him....we've got a lot to figure out for who's gonna play and who's gonna get mad and leave next free agency period.
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

TDub wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:24 pm Sounds like he had a very good visit. Going to Indiana this weekend but potentially announcing early next week. if we get him....we've got a lot to figure out for who's gonna play and who's gonna get mad and leave next free agency period.
That's where we're at. It's "what can you do for me now, for players and coaches.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Director of scouting for 247Sports Adam Finklestein wrote this about Mgbako:

"His shot-making from behind the arc is his best asset. He can also make the types of shots that translate to the next level - pick-and-pop threes, slipping out of ball screens to make shots on the move, or creating space with a series of side-step or step-back shots. The mid-post has long been a staple of his individual offense, but now he’s getting some easy points by moving without the ball more freely. Physically, Mgbako appears to be in the best shape of his career to date and was also productive enough on the glass to hold his own at the four. His swing skills are his defensive versatility and shot-creation abilities, both of which are rooted in his mobility, footspeed, and ability to play low to the ground when necessary. If those two areas develop, both his versatility and overall projection will go to new levels."
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

does that mean his mobility and footspeed are good or bad? sounds like "needs improvement"?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Mjl wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:10 pm does that mean his mobility and footspeed are good or bad? sounds like "needs improvement"?
The other reports I read on him say he's a good defender, but like any other freshman there is room for improvement. Here's an article on Bleacher Report comparing him to Jayson Tatum

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... YMF_KLqOkp
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Udeh hitting the transfer portal. What a dumb, impatient decision.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Welp.
This offseason blows.