Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:29 am that doesn’t sound like pure fiction
It just got to the point where I even rolled my eyes a few times. We get it already. The only major problem I had was that it was only 8 50-minute episodes. That's annoying. That's not enough content for what should be a full season.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:35 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:29 am that doesn’t sound like pure fiction
It just got to the point where I even rolled my eyes a few times. We get it already. The only major problem I had was that it was only 8 50-minute episodes. That's annoying. That's not enough content for what should be a full season.
that was my only issue with Barry…episodes too short, and not enough of them
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:13 pm Watched AIR tonight - on TV.
Better than I thought it would be. I'll give it a 7 out of 10.
I also watched it. I enjoyed it too. How accurate do you think it was?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DrPepper wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:04 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:13 pm Watched AIR tonight - on TV.
Better than I thought it would be. I'll give it a 7 out of 10.
I also watched it. I enjoyed it too. How accurate do you think it was?
Pretty accurate but obviously embellished.
Three biggest things I took away were how instrumental Delores Jordan was in introduction of players getting "royalties", how important Sonny Vaccaro was to the shoe industry, and if it wasn't for Peter Moore, we may never have heard of Air Jordans - and then the Jordan Brand.
Funny thing is Jordan, Falk, and Vacarro, will all tell you different stories of how the Nike deal came to be.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I flat out did not know that Nike shoes were not a thing (except for runners) until Jordan. I guess I was too young to know that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I had a pair of Nikes in the 70s. I disliked them enough that they were the last Nikes I ever bought.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:21 pm I flat out did not know that Nike shoes were not a thing (except for runners) until Jordan. I guess I was too young to know that.
Huh? The Nike Blazer and the Air Force 1 were both pre-Jordan.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:41 pm
DrPepper wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:21 pm I flat out did not know that Nike shoes were not a thing (except for runners) until Jordan. I guess I was too young to know that.
Huh? The Nike Blazer and the Air Force 1 were both pre-Jordan.
yea the blazer was like 1974 or something, the bruin (if you call that a basketball shoe...) was mid 70s i believe, the air force 1 was 1982 and then the Jordan I and the Nike Dunk both came out sometime in 1985
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

If you have any/enough interest, I suggest you read the book Shoe Dog.

Moving on to new shit on TV......

I might be the only one who really enjoyed "season" 1 of Ted Lasso and didn't like "season" 2.
I have little to no desire to watch "season" 3.
I have to admit my encounter with Sudeikis had soured me on him but I thought I got over it. Maybe I haven't?

Not that anyone really cares (or should care) but to rehash my interaction with him.....
2008 the week before the Final Four I went to grab lunch at Potbelly's at the building I work in. They had tables inside and outside of the restaurant. I took my order to go and as I was walking out I see Sudeikis sitting alone sipping on a milkshake. I had no idea wtf he was doing in Chicago but whatever. I smiled at him and gave him an up and down quick head nod as I said - "Rock Chalk". He gave me a quick up and down head nod back and that was it. I wouldn't have bothered him if he wasn't alone but all I said/asked him was if he was going to go to the Final Four if KU made it. His seemingly annoyed 4 word response was - "I have a job". I responded, "Yes you do, and you do it well". I got nothing back from him.
I walked away and thought/felt he was kind of a dick.
Hey, most people aren't nice 100% of the time and my guess is he's been great to the majority of people he's interacted with but I didn't appreciate him not responding when I showed him respect.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He coulda been having a bad day and was tired ( that day ) of interacting with strangers.

Not long after that he and Justin Long were in my buddys ( KU grad ) wine bar and they stayed til close and were chatting away with him, super nice. Then my buddy and a coworker and Justin Long went out to another bar after close and each iced each other.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:51 am He coulda been having a bad day and was tired ( that day ) of interacting with strangers.

Not long after that he and Justin Long were in my buddys ( KU grad ) wine bar and they stayed til close and were chatting away with him, super nice. Then my buddy and a coworker and Justin Long went out to another bar after close and each iced each other.
Yeah, he seems like he's probably a pretty good guy. My guess is he doesn't get too much "alone time" in public. I probably should have just left him alone.
I have had bad experiences with people who have reputations of being super nice and good experiences with people who have reputations of being assholes.
3 (of many) quick examples of each.
Bad experiences with people who have good reputations - Dan Hampton, LeBron, Mr. T
Good experiences with people who have bad reputations - Stephon Marbury, Kyrie Irving, Kanye
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I have left all celebs alone that I’ve seen and I was weirdly a celeb magnet in my 10 years in nyc. I wouldn’t say something to a stranger I didn’t know ( unless they were wearing KU or Chiefs stuff up here which is rare ) so I don’t to celebs. Not a word.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yeah, typically I leave "famous" people alone. Especially if they are with their families.

Back to shit on TV.....

Off the top of my head, some shows I had ZERO interest in watching and then years (or a year) later I became a big fan of - in no particular order.....
M*A*S*H*
Soap
Taxi
Arrested Development
NYPD Blue
Hill Street Blues
The Office
South Park
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Hill Street Blues is probably the best cop drama ever made. that show was excellent from the first episode to the last.

the only cop drama that i can think of that might have it beat is maybe Homicide: Life on the Streets

without Homicide: Life on the Streets there never would have been The Wire.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:29 am Hill Street Blues is probably the best cop drama ever made. that show was excellent from the first episode to the last.

the only cop drama that i can think of that might have it beat is maybe Homicide: Life on the Streets

without Homicide: Life on the Streets there never would have been The Wire.
Bull Shit
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, apparently Disney is planning on launching ESPN as a stand-alone streaming service in the next few years

if true, it’ll be interesting to see the impact on things like conference realignment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Succession is over which is a bummer.
Such a well done show.

Spoilers:

Despite how awful these people are, what makes this show good is that you still feel for them and root for them. They humanize these terrible humans and give glimpses that they are still kids who just wanted their father's approval.

Kendall gets so close and then blows it by not maintaining his cool in the ultimate negotiation right at the end moment - with Roman and Shiv. He basically feels dead now.

Tom somehow wins the power struggle between he and Shiv. Their sham marriage now may continue.
Greg hangs on.

Rome is just gonna go back to getting wasted and a wreck of a person.

That said, what about the Pierce deal? Isn't that still on the table?!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:51 am Succession is over which is a bummer.
Such a well done show.

Spoilers:

Despite how awful these people are, what makes this show good is that you still feel for them and root for them. They humanize these terrible humans and give glimpses that they are still kids who just wanted their father's approval.

Kendall gets so close and then blows it by not maintaining his cool in the ultimate negotiation right at the end moment - with Roman and Shiv. He basically feels dead now.

Tom somehow wins the power struggle between he and Shiv. Their sham marriage now may continue.
Greg hangs on.

Rome is just gonna go back to getting wasted and a wreck of a person.

That said, what about the Pierce deal? Isn't that still on the table?!
SPOILERS

I didn't think the point was to engender any sympathy for the kids; they failed their way into billion-dollar inheritances. I think the point of the show was the inevitability of that failure (and what it says about how exactly we've organized things in the present-day US).

I found a lot here:
None of the sex on Succession was sexy. None of the weddings were romantic. None of the parties were fun. None of the relationships were supportive. None of the houses were comfortable. None of the style was cool. The dialogue was very, very funny, but on the whole, the Roys’ world was so desaturated, so anesthetic, and such a bland montage of interchangeable stock photo luxury backdrops that only repetition compulsion could explain why they were so hell-bent on ruling it. Their universe was nothing, as Roman said to Kendall in a crucial scene in the finale. It was bullshit. Why go to the trouble of betraying everyone you love when the only reward is another gray conference room and another chat with Karl?

Please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not criticizing Succession here. I think Succession was a brilliant show—maybe the best-written series, at the line level, that I’ve ever seen. But I’m wondering how we’re going to remember it in a few years’ time, once the hype cycle fades, once the discourse around Fox News and democracy is (please, God) very different, once we’re able to consider Jesse Armstrong’s creation alongside the other skyscrapers of prestige TV history. (A very Succession image: white clouds reflected in blank glass.) How will it hold up compared to Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and so forth? It’s an impossible question to answer, of course, but it’s interesting to me, partly because Succession seems to have been so clearly made in the prestige TV mold and partly because it seems so different from every other show in that mold. I also think, for reasons I’ll get into in a minute, that the question of how we’ll remember Succession is primarily a question about cynicism—not the Roys’ this time, but ours.

But let’s talk about the Roys for a second. Succession is a complicated show when it comes to form and genre, but above all else, it’s a psychoanalytic satire of the superrich. And in the same way that almost everything the Roys say revolves around textbook—even cartoonishly textbook—Freudian obsessions with sex, violence, and bodily functions, almost everything the Roys do is driven by textbook Freudian motives. Kendall wants to kill his father and replace him. Roman wants to submit to him and be punished. Shiv wants to marry him. (And so, in the finale, Kendall tries and fails to seize power, Roman has his wound literally reopened, and Shiv drives off holding hands with the CEO of Waystar.) In a world where running Waystar Royco looked like a fun and satisfying thing to do, all the Civilization and Its Discontents stuff might have gotten lost. We’d have assumed everyone was competing for the crown because the crown itself was so nice. Rational behavior! But against Succession’s overwhelming atmosphere of high-end hopelessness, in which the characters are essentially guaranteed to be unhappy no matter how much power they obtain, the psychological tropes become starkly visible. The crown is made of tinfoil; the only reason to chase it is because childhood trauma is compelling you to.

And this realization, in turn, is the source of the show’s odd satiric power. It’s odd because—well, I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t necessarily have looked at our era of fake news, environmental degradation, rising income inequality, faltering trust in institutions, and vanishing democratic norms and thought, “It’s clear that this is all happening because some rich kid has an Oedipus complex.” On the other hand, contemporary reality is just about hallucinatory enough to justify turning to the master of dream interpretation to explain it. And as Succession never tired of reminding us, the stupidest explanation is very often the truest.
https://www.theringer.com/succession/20 ... hbo-finale
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think they definitely wrote sympathy into their characters -- but all wrapped deep within the warped world ( psychoanalytic satire of the superrich ) they lived within.

You'd have a different tone of show where Roman didn't break down at his father's funeral. Where Kendall didn't break down after killing that guy and then broke down again telling his siblings. Shiv wouldn't continually try to repair, as faint as it was, her relationship with Tom. You can't make them completely unlikeable. Just largely.

That article you mentioned brings in Mad Men. There are some awful/tragic characters in that. But there's sympathy for them despite. Don Draper the king of that.

Also I think it is equal to those shows ( better than Breaking Bad ) mentioned in the article.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I wasn't the biggest fan of the early episodes in season 3 of Ted Lasso. But the last about 4 out of 5 episodes were fantastic. The last 2 being some of the best of the entire show.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG