Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by jhawks99 »

Why doesn't Louise's have schooners anymore?
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they dont?
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Annie went to Fargo for the weekend. Familial duties. There was a nephew graduating from high school who was having a party (has anyone ever heard of a "donut tree"?) and to visit her mom who had recently been released from the psych ward and is starting a "new" life for the third or fourth time. Mom is lucky in that she has two offspring who care about her welfare and have the wherewithal to help shepherd her through this process. Annie knew the ropes as she guided mom through this before when Annie was in her 20's. Mom had a long career as a healthcare professional which gave her an inside track on getting the help she needed. The six weeks of EST and drugs brought reality back into a soft focus but the anxiety that was the forerunner of the mental break is persistent, but at least more specific now.

Two things caused her continued loss of sleep. Owning her house and her dog. The house was easy, Annie's brother sold it and her non-personal belongings while she was in the hospital and set up a trust and put the cash is there. Mom wondered what happened to all of her "stuff" but at the same time she had the revelation which she gave Annie, "if your brother hadn't done that it would have taken me years to make decisions on everything, about what to take out of there". Mom's new apartment allows dogs, but mom can't seem to control or stop worrying about her dog.

A side note here, mom's choice in dogs seems to be almost as questionable as her choice in men has been over the years. Her last dog was a presa canario/Aussie shepherd mix. A smallish brute of a dog at 50 pounds with a huge fuckin chip on it's shoulder. I once described Ramona as a "dune buggy with a case of dynamite in the back seat". Mom eventually had to give Ramona up and she came to live with us where Dok and I taught her that there were certain beings on this planet that Ramona should tuck her tail and stand down for. Dok and I are two of those beings.

About a year before the mental break, mom got Bill Bailey. I understand that when one retires in Fargo, you join things like a ukulele club to keep you occupied. "Bill Bailey" was a favorite song to play at Uke Club and so when she got the dog, he became Bill Bailey. Bill is also an unfortunate mix, a daschund/golden retriever. He is sorta dopey and also has short man's syndrome. He brought that to our house once and tried to bully Dok. Dok likes to let the smaller dogs win the doggie rough and tumble sometimes, to keep them interested and having fun. Bill took the passive part of Dok's game as a sign of weakness and ran with it. Bill got a short sharp lesson in physics and toned that shit down for the rest of his stay.

So Bill had forgotten all of the lessons learned while visiting us, or thought they only applied during visits to the big city, and has been an issue for mom lately. Annie got Bill a muzzle and a correction collar during her visit and has brought him under control again in a short period of time. Annie started calling him "BDSM Bill" as she walked the little man around on his short leash all deck out in straps and mask. I got a call yesterday warning me that Bill Bailey many be coming home with her to remove the other source of mom's anxiety.

We have an established pack with a long standing heirarchy. Stella is the Alpha bitch, a 70 pound Dutch shepherd who is smart as hell and a jujitsu master. Dok at 100lbs of Anatolian shepherd/boxer/husky mix is the good hearted muscle of the operation. Bill is destined to live out his new life as bottom bitch.

I told Annie, fine but he needs a new name. I will not call my dog "Bill Bailey". I don't know why but my thought process often takes cues off music. A song popped into my head immediately after typing that text.

"Bill Bailey" is now "Severin von Daschund".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwzaifhSw2c
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:06 amthey dont?
Nope. Was there last night.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have to laugh at the non-sequitors. And a schooner-free Louise is really a self-own. Must be an insurance or liquor license thing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Louise’s Downtown went South about 10-15 years ago when their staff decided they wanted to try and make working there a reason to get aggressive and harass people in their bar. Dudes who just looked for the smallest excuse to get physical with patrons.

I have a few friends still in the restaurant and bar industry and have nothing good to say with how things have been run.

No schooners checks out. There are much better classic bars to hit up in Lawrence that aren’t like that. I get that it runs young and I’m “old and crotchety” and my opinion on Lawrence bars doesn’t hold much water as much as it used to so if you’re 21-30, maybe it’s still the place to go.

For me: Lyon. Sandbar. Harbour. Taproom. Dempseys. Replay. Henry’s. All better. Basically ( to me ) it’s in Brothers territory these days.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is totally random, so I suppose it's the right thread.

You know what really grinds my gears? When, as the customer, I send a service provider an email...and get a phone call back. Me sending an email (that doesn't ask for a phone call) IS a message that I want to communicate by...email! I don't want to talk!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:48 am https://youtu.be/Iehz4d76WMU
Because

Flori-duh
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:20 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:48 am https://youtu.be/Iehz4d76WMU
Because

Flori-duh
ha! didn’t even realize that’s where that was
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I found this interesting:
How hockey nicknames and heavy metal band names are chosen, according to linguistic algorithms:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ho ... band-names
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Today's edition of a day in the life of Gutter - before 7:30am.

Texting with an ex (who lives with her fiancé) until about 1:00am.
8 or so gun shots outside my window at around 1:30am.
Looked outside my window around 2:00am and saw the police "investigation".
Fell asleep around 3:00am.
Woke up around 5:00am.
Made a cup of coffee and took my Nexium and Thyroid meds at about 5:15am.
Sat quietly in my living room watching the sun rise around 5:30am.
Started doing laundry at 6:00am.
Looked at my computer at about 6:15am and learned that it was two people who got shot a block away.
One DOA and one shot in the leg getting treatment at the hospital.
Walked over to where the shooting took place to check it out at about 6:30am. Noticed a few unsavory characters hanging out. I admit I felt uncomfortable. Then walked by the hospital (a block from where the shooting took place) and witnessed assumed family members of one of the victims standing outside the emergency room.
Came back to my apartment at around 6:45am
Heard/notices a loud ringing sound in the lobby of my building at 7:00am and asked the girl at the security desk how long it's been going on. She said all night (morning). If I was her I would have been banging my head against a wall.
Came up to my apartment and caroused the inter-webs.

I assume the rest of the can and will only get more Gutter like. Stay tuned......
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TDub wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am my daughter gets her first go at mutton bustin tomorrow haha. should be good times.
yesterday was attempt #2 at mutton bustin for her. She did way better, she did awesome!

took 2nd...which is pretty good considering some of the other kids train and practice for it all spring....she just showed up and went for it. Hung on for a while, got dragged, bucked off and got a mouthful of dirt. She split her lip when she hit the ground (she hit the face mask of the helmet...I would never let her ride without a helmet but...sometimes they do more harm then good...the dirt wouldve been softer than the metal grate...). But she recovered quickly after she got the blood cleaned up. Tough lil girl! I'm very proud of that girl, she's smart, sweet, brave and tough....good on her for trying things that are challenging.

she says she's gonna do it next year too....and her brother gets a shot next year...maybe one of them will win the buckle, ha.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Great fun TDub, glad everyone had a good time and that she's not too hurt.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm This is totally random, so I suppose it's the right thread.

You know what really grinds my gears? When, as the customer, I send a service provider an email...and get a phone call back. Me sending an email (that doesn't ask for a phone call) IS a message that I want to communicate by...email! I don't want to talk!
That just happened to me this week. Probably going to cancel the product.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:07 am
TDub wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am my daughter gets her first go at mutton bustin tomorrow haha. should be good times.
yesterday was attempt #2 at mutton bustin for her. She did way better, she did awesome!

took 2nd...which is pretty good considering some of the other kids train and practice for it all spring....she just showed up and went for it. Hung on for a while, got dragged, bucked off and got a mouthful of dirt. She split her lip when she hit the ground (she hit the face mask of the helmet...I would never let her ride without a helmet but...sometimes they do more harm then good...the dirt wouldve been softer than the metal grate...). But she recovered quickly after she got the blood cleaned up. Tough lil girl! I'm very proud of that girl, she's smart, sweet, brave and tough....good on her for trying things that are challenging.

she says she's gonna do it next year too....and her brother gets a shot next year...maybe one of them will win the buckle, ha.
It is fun to watch but pretty dangerous. Saw a kid dislocate and break his arm down here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Very cool Tdub! You know it's a good sign when they want to get back on the horse.

Sorry to hear about the start of your day, Gutter. I hope things improve, and I have some advice.

I know you don't have any pets, but in case foraging in the parks is your thing, be careful there in Chicago:

https://youtu.be/r9F71PIugXc
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm This is totally random, so I suppose it's the right thread.

That just happened to me this week. Probably going to cancel the product.
Same thing, only different annoyance:

Email? No problem. But, they know emails aren't confrontational enough, don't stop you in your tracks and demand your attention, so now it's texts. Texts. Every ____ing political, environmental and non-profit you donate to, and more once you add all the other organizations they sell your contact info to, text. I don't ignore texts in case it's my daughter needing me to step-up on the spur of the moment which happens occasionally, but the ratio of legitimate to crap texts keeps trending lower and lower, despite taking the time to block nearly all the offenders.

It's even worse now that the political campaigns are never over. It used to be that the tidal wave came in 2-year cycles, but not anymore. And it's from every Tom, Dick, and Mary running as a democrat from all over the country.

And I know I resent it more because it's so reminiscent of having a beeper I didn't dare ever ignore for so many years, something I thought I got away from, when I retired.

Thankfully, so far, they aren't coming in the middle of the night.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:50 am

It is fun to watch but pretty dangerous. Saw a kid dislocate and break his arm down here.
true, can be. But....then again, life itself is dangerous, none of us make it out alive. Probably, statistically more likely to get hurt on the way tonschool or on the playground than on a sheep.
Conquering fear and challenging yourself is an important life skill.

what's that John Wayne quote? "Courage is being scared but saddling up anyway" or something along those lines
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

A sincere high five or a fist bump to your daughter from Gutter!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.