WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by KUTradition »

AlOerter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:53 pm If KU gets Mbako and cruises to a national championship say, I expect NCAA to start talking about salary caps to maintain some sort of parity.
not that i’d be an advocate, but some kind of profit-sharing has come to mind a couple times
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Scot Pollard is on record saying Kansas didn't offer him money.
He was a high school All American.
So if he was a high school All American and wasn't offered money, one could assume other non high school All Americans ( and even other high school All Americans ) were not given money.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:31 pm The only people that didn't get paid a dime that played a significant role were probably the walk-ons that exceeded expectations or the local guys that wanted to play for Kansas because it was their favorite team growing up.

College athletics has been a sham in terms of purity for over 50 years and it isn't changing. It's just becoming more well known.
Again, this is assumed true.
Scot Pollard has said it wasn't.
And he was one of KU's best players at some of the peak roi seasons.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s Pollard’s whole take there?

Didn’t he say something about how payments to players has been going on since forever now, and Kansas was like the only school that DIDN’T offer him money?

(And when he says Kansas didn’t offer him money, do you think he meant it in the same way that it wasn’t Kansas that offered money to Silvio or Billy, either? Sorry, disregard that question.)

But, even by your own evidence and witness testimony, a cross-examination suggests the real outlier may be student athletes NOT getting paid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kansas was one of the few that didn't offer him money.
And per your last sentence, not at Kansas evidently, of which we were speaking about.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Stupid question time. Does anyone know the schools that did offer Pollard $?
On a semi related side note - Any word if William has any interest in Ozzy?

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/a ... 209731278/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Maybe this will help some of you like him. Sounds like he wants to be at KU for some reasons besides money and is already taking pride in being a jayhawk
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsDAzb-uYAG ... I4NDBkZg==
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

I have watched/listened to a couple of the podcasts. I like this guy already. He's got a chill demeanor off the court (at least on the podcasts that I have listened to), but you can tell he's an assassin on the court!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Hunter Dickinson explains transfer from Michigan to Kansas

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... gan-kansas
Dickinson arrives with proof rather than just potential. He averaged more than 17 points and eight rebounds per game in three seasons at Michigan and was a second-team All-America pick as a freshman. Questions about his ability to defend and his fit as a throwback center in the modern NBA kept him from testing NBA waters after his seasons at Michigan. In the old days of two years ago, his track record through three seasons might have been enough to convince him to leave college as a borderline NBA prospect or play professionally overseas. The ability to make money from name, image and likeness (NIL) deals the past two seasons has helped create a new breed of players -- others include Purdue's Zach Edey, North Carolina's Armando Bacot and Kentucky's Oscar Tshiebwe -- who have decided it's a better business decision to develop their games further while taking advantage of star power on basketball-obsessed college campuses rather than rushing to the professional ranks.

"We've talked about it. It's great because it's really helped keep us back in college," Dickinson said. "Being a good college basketball player is really fun."

Dickinson is unique even among that small group because of his decision to transfer to a new school, which set in motion a head-spinning, 34-day recruiting process and a swirl of rumors about the type of money a proven 7-footer can command in the new market for college athletes.

He says he wants to make clear that his choice to play at Kansas was a "basketball decision," driven by the potential to win championships and by the coaching staff's reputation for developing and deploying their big men effectively. To the extent that money factored into his thought process while sorting through his options, Dickinson says he was thinking not about any immediate payday but how to maximize his potential to stick around for a long professional career in the NBA after his time in college.

"If I wanted to just go to the highest bidder," he said, "then it wouldn't be Kansas."

[…]

Dickinson said he made less than $100,000 in his last year at Michigan. He heard from friends in the sport that other players who were not as impactful on the court were making far more at other schools. While NIL money was not a main deciding factor in going to Kansas, he said, it is part of the reason he left Michigan. His parents said during the recruitment process this spring they were shocked to learn that the earning potential for a player like Dickinson started at a minimum of $500,000.

"I think that would make any normal human being a little upset about their situation," Dickinson said. "Any guy in some desk job that was working way harder and producing way more than a person at another company that wasn't producing nearly as much as them but they're making more money, I feel like any normal human being would be a little upset."

[…]

Self, who was not on the sideline for Kansas during the NCAA tournament in March while recovering from a health scare, said he felt "re-energized" by a hectic month of recruiting. Kansas added two other transfers this spring to finish overhauling a roster with only three returning scholarship players.

He said he thinks the new rules will make it easier for high-major teams like Kansas to fill missing pieces on their rosters through the transfer portal each spring, making it less likely that they'll take big steps backward in any given year. That proved to be the case this season for the Jayhawks. He called Dickinson "the anchor" of an offseason in which the transfer portal treated them "really, really well."

The veteran coach said he sees pros and cons to the new world of building a college roster. Self said he is concerned that the combination of new transfer rules and NIL money is teaching young athletes the wrong lessons when it comes to fighting through adversity, but he understands that there are cases where moving to a new team is in a player's best interest.

"I've been doing this for a long time and now to keep up with the younger group of players I've got to adjust," he said. "To me, that's been fun."

The transfer process was more stressful than fun for Dickinson, who said he's now happy to be settling into a new campus and getting to know his new teammates during the first weeks of June. Dickinson said he was worn thin by some of the critiques he heard about his decision to leave Michigan, but that ultimately the new doors open to him and others like him -- both in terms of opportunities to seek out better spots to develop their skills and the money players can now make in college -- are a good step forward for college basketball.

"It's a multibillion dollar industry. You've got coaches making almost $10 million a year. This is not an amateur business," Dickinson said. "...People might take that the wrong way, like you don't care and you're only about money. But I think for me, I look at it as trying to expand and grow in the game of basketball. I'm working out every day to grow my business."
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Michigan had two top 15 picks alongside Hunter Dickinson. And missed the tournament. How is that possible?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Because all they cared about was money when they should have been playing FoR ThE LoVe Of ThE GaMe!!
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:18 am Michigan had two top 15 picks alongside Hunter Dickinson. And missed the tournament. How is that possible?
Juwan Howard?
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:18 am Michigan had two top 15 picks alongside Hunter Dickinson. And missed the tournament. How is that possible?
Was thinking the same thing. How bad is Juwan Howard

But then again, north Carolina brought back a team that made it to the championship game and missed the tournament too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DC had a good take that maybe Hunter transferred to KU cuz he wanted to be coached by a real coach, rather than a celebrity dipshit.

And my thinking all along has been maybe Hunter’s stats and production will dip, as is so often the case when a dood transfers to KU, and the more intense competition we face.

But part of me wonders if maybe Hunter’s production might get BETTER with a better coach, and particularly a better coach who loves to run everything thru the post…
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 am

But then again, north Carolina brought back a team that made it to the championship game and missed the tournament too
Hard to quantify, but you have to think some of it is coaching, but a lot of it is just the vagaries of working with young people with a socially-instilled over-inflated sense of importance and entitlement. Team chemistry is a delicate ecosystem.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I heard it was because Hunter wore a yellow and blue paisley jacket once. The rest of team couldn't focus or trust him anymore and the entire university of Michigan is still recovering from the shame.

and then....Chris Webber called another timeout.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:56 am I heard it was because Hunter wore a yellow and blue paisley jacket once. The rest of team couldn't focus or trust him anymore and the entire university of Michigan is still recovering from the shame.

and then....Chris Webber called another timeout.
Yup.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s maize and blue.

(Sorry, it’s the michigander in me)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 am It’s maize and blue.

(Sorry, it’s the michigander in me)
that was part of the shame. Not only was it yellow.... it wasn't even the right yellow!.

Imagine the fracturing of team chemistry. In fact, even Chemistry 201 was temporarily shutdown due to the immense shame. Flags half mast. Really reallt tough day for the wolverines. I'm almost certain that's why they missed the tournament and can't seem to land any recruits. Ohio St has already sent out posters of this fashion faux pas to all the recruits...good luck Juwan....
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

JKLivin wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:41 am
randylahey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 am

Hard to quantify, but you have to think some of it is coaching, but a lot of it is just the vagaries of working with young people with a socially-instilled over-inflated sense of importance and entitlement. Team chemistry is a delicate ecosystem.
lots of truth here, i think
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?