next soccer question

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: next soccer question

Post by pdub »

Also keep an eye on Josh Wynder ( I think he's 18 now ) who could lock into one of our center back spots for the future.
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Gio?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is a joke right?
Surely it's a joke and I fell for it.
Like USA's jerseys last time out.

Right?

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status ... 1344681985
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Messi to MLS. Huge.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

YES.
Fuck you Saudis!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

On a related note, fuck Ticketmaster forever.
Fuck those greedy fucks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

just saw a headline claiming Messi turned down $1B from the saudis because his wife refused to move to the Gulf region
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:12 pm On a related note, fuck Ticketmaster forever.
Fuck those greedy fucks.
Capitalism. It kind sucks on a lot of levels.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm just saw a headline claiming Messi turned down $1B from the saudis because his wife refused to move to the Gulf region
A billion is a ton of money but Messi is already one of the highest paid athletes on the planet. He can chill in Miami with no income tax.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you think about the issues I have for what college basketball has become, then add that to what golf has become, and multiply it by Manchester City, you’ll have what I think about Champions League today.

I guess the solution next season, don’t watch. :(
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CONCACAF Nations League vs Mexico tonight, oooh!
10 PM start? Nope!
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Hey, you said CONCACAF, and it made me realize this day is important in my life’s history….here, I’ll share my now annual Facebook post I make about June 15 (don’t need any thoughts and prayers or the like). Also sorry if it’s tl;dr.

Four years ago, about right now, I was driving to Denver to pick up some CONCACAF tickets at the Pepsi Center and about Ft. Lupton, started sweating and felt like I had to go to the bathroom real bad. Not too weird for me, unfortunately.

Then, about 10 min later, I was sweating profusely and my chest started to feel like it was being slowly pulled apart.

Oh man, I thought, this isn’t good. Let me get these tickets and get to a bathroom!

I head towards I25, and take the express lanes to downtown Denver. Fortunately, the lanes were open and this saved about 25 min of sitting in traffic. I rarely take the express lanes, bc lol @ the whole idea of those to begin with. But, on this day, I was happy they were there.

Man, I need to pull over and try to stretch out I thought to myself, this is awful. I call my wife. I tell her something is not right. I describe what is going on. It’s probably anxiety she says. I don’t think so, but she’s usually right (don’t tell her I said that) so I bend over in lot of Pepsi Center, walk to will call to get my tickets.

Give two people at desk my ID to retrieve tickets and ask to point me to bathroom. Go to restroom, come out, and am sweating as if water is running off me. Guy at desk asks if everything is ok, if I need an ambulance.

I tell him, I’m fine, I’m going to drive myself to hospital which is about 1.5 miles away. Thankful at this point I know my way around Denver proper better than most.

Drive to Denver Health. Called wife again and told her what’s up. Tell her I think it’s my heart. Her tone has changed to obviously worried but never gonna show it to me in the moment. She just wants to know where I’ll be. She’s awesome. Tells me to stay calm, I’ll be ok.

It takes a while (probably 10+ min) to find a parking spot in hospital covered parking lot. I’m sure I could have parked in valet with no problem at this point, but, didn’t really register that.

Park on third floor. Walk to stairs (on opposite side from where I was parked). Walk down flight of stairs. Pass one person, ask for help getting to ER. They point in direction of ER.

Get outside, man In Black scrubs walking to me. I ask for help getting to ER. He points to ER (about 30 meters away). Telling the story, people can’t believe neither of these people recognized what was going on. But I don’t blame them at all. While I do laugh at it now, I was in no way showing any outward signs of panic, and asked calmly and with a smile for help to the ER.

Get to ER. Lady behind desk asks why I’m there. I point to head and say I don’t usually sweat like I’m in the shower. My chest hurts. I think it’s my heart.

I’m immediately surrounded. A nurse in each ear asking me my symptoms. I describe. I’m in a wheelchair for 30 seconds then on a gurney.

I ask to call my wife. Of course I can. I call Nicole one more time. She’s on her way already. Don’t really remember this conversation, but I do remember calmly telling her it’s my heart and that I’m scared.

Nurses assure me I’ll be ok, that I’m in right spot, they’ll take care of me.

I wake up 2 1/2 hours later (I think) in a hospital room. Nicole is there. So are a lot of machines and hospital staff.

I just had a heart attack. I was 46. I ate like shit and didn’t exercise (for a while). I ran a marathon @ 40, but I was a long ways from that. I also had a strong family history of heart issues that I never really took time to understand the importance of.

Control what you can, try to understand what you can’t, and use those around you to help if you sense anything is wrong. They’ll help.

I’m grateful for all those around me that day. My wife, her mom, her best friend, my dad, the entire nursing staff, and of course the doctors in the room with me that cleared my arteries and gave me an opportunity to reboot.

Also thankful for the concept of Denver Health, which through the process got me on Medicaid which I qualify for because of loopholes in how my earnings look on paper. Without this, I’d have been looking at $150k+ in hospital bills. When I first saw the bills (that I was never charged for), my thought was immediately I’d rather be dead than have that burden for health care.

Four years. Things change. I’m no longer married, live in Lawrence Kansas again, and The Pepsi Center is now Ball Arena. I don’t wish a couple of these processes on anyone. Again, control what you can and acknowledge what you can’t.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TLDR for anyone - tried to go to a CONCACAF game, had a heart attack.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence: With no knowledge as to how severe an MI you had notwithstanding, the prolonged period of time from the onset of your symptoms until you reached the hospital argues, because time is myocardium, i.e., heart muscle, that you have to count yourself "lucky". 46 is much too young. Hope your recovery has been good and you're back in the saddle, again.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am TLDR for anyone - tried to go to a CONCACAF game, had a heart attack.
I was going to pick up tickets for a future game. You didn’t read shit.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Feral wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:47 pm Back2Lawrence: With no knowledge as to how severe an MI you had notwithstanding, the prolonged period of time from the onset of your symptoms until you reached the hospital argues, because time is myocardium, i.e., heart muscle, that you have to count yourself "lucky". 46 is much too young. Hope your recovery has been good and you're back in the saddle, again.
Operating doctor, then PA at consultation visits in months that followed both said I was super lucky to have minimal muscle damage.

Agree, 46 way too young. For me it was really very bad genes and very bad habits. Weird, as I was in best shape of my life at 43.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:16 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:05 am TLDR for anyone - tried to go to a CONCACAF game, had a heart attack.
I was going to pick up tickets for a future game. You didn’t read shit.
Did you end up going to the game?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Greggggg is back baby!
Also Mexico, per usual, is trash.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Fuck off. A interim of an interim just beat Mexico 3-0. See what happens when you let players play instead of sticking to stupid systems. He fucking sucks. You suck. We will be disappointed within 2 years if you aren’t already like me.

Fuck this federation.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Side note L Tri ain’t a rival anymore. They are terrible. They’re trash. Their fans at the games are classless.