TikTok

Coffee talk.
twocoach

TikTok

Post by twocoach »

In today's "gee, who saw this coming" news...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/tech/tik ... index.html

"In what appears to be a first, a former employee of ByteDance, TikTok’s Beijing-based parent company, has outlined specific claims that the Chinese Communist Party accessed the data of TikTok users on a broad scale, and for political purposes.

In a court filing this week, the former employee of ByteDance, Yintao Yu, alleged that the CCP spied on pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong in 2018 by using “backdoor” access to TikTok to identify and monitor the activists’ locations and communications."

TikTok should not be on anyone's phones, people.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: TikTok

Post by Shirley »

Let's hope this settles it, i.e., that congress will act, because what Montana has done won't stand.

Thankfully, it seems if there's one thing the tribes can agree on, it's "Gina!"
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is this anything new tho?

Weren’t there already lots of stories of cops surveilling BLM protestors on their smart phones and such?

In other words, are we really upset that it’s happening, or just upset that it’s Gina?

Not to mention even that very article describes the evidence supporting the allegations as, “rather thin.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also what exactly is a “pro-democracy protestor?”

Didn’t mjl recently mention the right to protest as evidence of a healthy democracy? I think it was in the Israel thread…
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've never used TikTok and could care less to watch stoopid people do stoopid things. I'd rather read a book if I'm sitting in a coffee shop and not spend hours scrolling through my phone, like you see everyone else doing. I don't get it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:32 am Also what exactly is a “pro-democracy protestor?”

Didn’t mjl recently mention the right to protest as evidence of a healthy democracy? I think it was in the Israel thread…
You should use the google machine to look up the phrase "Hong Kong."
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto