99's terrible, no good, sucky week

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

99's terrible, no good, sucky week

Post by jhawks99 »

Started last Friday. I made the 12 drive to Minneapolis to close on our new house near the grandkids. Plan was for me to drive up Friday do final walk through on Saturday and close Monday. Then fly back to Lexington, load the truck and drive it to the new house. Didn't work out that way.

I got a call from my brother as I arrived at my daughter's house. My mom had passed away a few minutes previously.

Close on the house on Monday, try to cancel plane tickets but can't.

Son in law left for a week long "business " trip to Spain.

Oldest daughter and I packed up the 4 year old and 18 month old and headed south to KC. Assuming the funeral would be Thursday. Halfway to KC I get a call from my brother. Funeral home says it would be inconvenient to do before Monday.

After a long stop in Des Moines to discussoptionswithMrs. 99, and a meltdown from 99, we decided to continue to KC rather than turn back and wait it out in MN. My daughter and I have been holed up in hotel rooms trying to entertain a 4 year old and an 18 month old while making final arrangements for my mom.

Mrs. 99 and youngest daughter stay in Lex to pack and clean. They just got here. Son in law got back to MN to discover my daughter has all of their keys here. Fortunately the have a key pad for the garage.

Kids are super cute when they're not screaming.

Internet modem and router have been sitting on the porch at the new house, I hope.

Plan is... wake Sunday, Funeral Monday, try to get on the road to Lexington. Son in law flies down from MN to make the funeral and drive my car back with his wife and kids.

We should get back to Lexington Tuesday to finish packing up cleaning. Get big ass moving truck in Thursday and start driving north.

Arrive in MN Friday, unpack the truck Saturday and try to resume normal life. At some point, I'd like some time to process losing my mom.

TL;DR It's been a rough week and it doesn't get better for a while.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 99's terrible, no good, sucky week

Post by pdub »

Rough city.
Sorry 99.
Been a difficult go for kcrimers.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Oh 99, I'm so sorry about you losing your Mother. There aren't many things that rival that. I know in some cases it can be a partial relief, as it will be with my 95 y/o and fading fast Mom. My heart goes out to you and your family.

As far as the move...talk about a Cluster! Though Tyson said "everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the face", it sounds more like you got hit by a train. Life...

The hotel room sounds like at times it would be a variation of one of Dante's 9 circles of hell,
or something.

If it makes you feel any better:

Man plans and God laughs.

“All human plans [are] subject to ruthless revision by Nature, or Fate, or whatever one preferred to call the powers behind the Universe.”
― Arthur C. Clarke,

"Plans are useless, but planning is invaluable.”
― Winston Churchill

“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

“No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.” Various

“A perfect tactical plan is like a unicorn because anyone can tell you what one looks like, but no one has actually ever seen one.” Unknown

“A good plan violently executed is better than a perfect plan executed next week.”  — George Patton

“The temptation was great to muster what force we could and put up a fight. It's the easiest way out, and the most satisfactory to self-respect--but, nearly invariably, the stupidest. ”
― Isaac Asimov

“Spontaneity is one of the joys of existence, especially if you prepare for it in advance.”
― Alan Dean Foster
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

damn.....that is a rough fuckin week. Next week has to go better.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Holy cow, 99. Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope things get better for you.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

man...im sorry 99..thats a no good week. I hope next week has at least some blue sky and bright spots.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have been with family this week. And my bosses have been very supportive. I consider myself fortunate in these ways.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I'm sorry, 99.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sorry 99! I had a similar time in mid-June. Cemented my decision to retire early next year.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

retirement! one of the great myths of the past
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:18 pm retirement! one of the great myths of the past
The self-employed never retire -- and not by choice.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm sorry to read about your mother 99! I hope the other stuff works out as well as possible.
Yes, your week was JUNK! My hope is you have a lot of NICE in your life once you get settled in MN.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:18 pm retirement! one of the great myths of the past
We'll see. I have learned that this country will take it all from the Middle Class just like George Carlin said. But I am hoping to sleep-in for a tad.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'm dissolving my corporation and going off the books upon the completion of my current job. Hopefully I am retired by Christmas.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sucks. Sorry to hear 99
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:48 pm
I'm dissolving my corporation and going off the books upon the completion of my current job. Hopefully I am retired by Christmas.
I hope it goes very smoothly defix.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:07 pm It's been a rough week and it doesn't get better for a while.
I'm sorry, 99. Sounds brutal.

Truly sorry for your loss, sir.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Thinking of ya, 99.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

damn, 99

hang in there
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Sorry to hear about your mother, 99. Best wishes to you and your family as you fight through these tough days.