We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
defixione
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by defixione »

JK will never be able to find a place to live where everyone in the community pronounces all the words correctly. I'm wondering how this affects his relationship with his patients.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm
JKLivin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:58 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:43 pm

youre right its more like carmal....what the hell else would I call it? only pretentious fucks say Karrrahmell. Cripes almighty....youre worried about pronunciation AND a trump voter? talk about a dichotomy...
It is caramelized sugar, hence, caramel. Words mean things. Sorry to annoy you.
words mean things!

this is great.

Ill remember this one.

also....Carmull.....and Karrahmell...mean the same thing....one is said by normal people....one is said by pretentious fucks who have to cling to minor minor things to try to prove their superiority because.....by all conventional measures......that superiority has been disproven and washed over time and time again.
Well, I don’t wear cowboy hats, either, so I guess you’re just destined to hate me. I’ll get by somehow.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:44 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:06 pm

words mean things!

this is great.

Ill remember this one.

also....Carmull.....and Karrahmell...mean the same thing....one is said by normal people....one is said by pretentious fucks who have to cling to minor minor things to try to prove their superiority because.....by all conventional measures......that superiority has been disproven and washed over time and time again.
Well, I don’t wear cowboy hats, either, so I guess you’re just destined to hate me. I’ll get by somehow.
2 things....

why would I care if you wore a cowboy hat?

of course you don't....you'd be all hat no cowboy.

But that all has 0 to do with anything related to the conversation....but carry on with your nonsense.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:39 am

I hate people who say "flick off" almost as much as people who say "supposably" and who refer to mounted military units as "the calvary." It also bugs me when people refer to the light brown ice cream topping as "carmel."
youre right its more like carmal....what the hell else would I call it? only pretentious fucks say Karrrahmell. Cripes almighty....youre worried about pronunciation AND a trump voter? talk about a dichotomy...
Words mean things, as determined by the dictionary. Which says both pronunciations are right.

"ˈkärməl,ˈkerəməl,ˈkerəˌmel"

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:00 pm

Words mean things, as determined by the dictionary. Which says both pronunciations are right.

I believe the Google Dictionary was developed specifically to accommodate dipshits who think dressing up like a cowboy is cool. I wouldn’t give it much credence.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Pseudoscience to the rescue! 🤔
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 pm

I believe the Google Dictionary was developed specifically to accommodate dipshits who think dressing up like a cowboy is cool. I wouldn’t give it much credence.
Miriam Webster has the same thing: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caramel
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:57 pm

Miriam Webster has the same thing: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caramel
Unfortunately, facts won't work because JK knows they have a liberal bias.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you mean like this guy? I dunno...I doubt he reads the dictionary....

how many dallies ya think hes taken? think he knows the difference between an Angus and a Hereford? Spend a lot of time pushing brush....he ride a spoon bit or a hackemore? does he know what a latigo is? He throw a Houlihan? A Vaquero loop?

Or is he a dipshit playing dress up?

you prove yourself everyday here lately....its just unfortunate what proving yourself means for....you.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

By the way....im no cowboy and I wouldn't claim to be....but I have a ton of respect for who they are and the code they live by....the real ones. And I will wear the hat from time to time. I got enough misprunciations in my vocabulary get away with it....I wouldn't be confused with someone as sophisticated and intellectual as yourself.

and I agree...You'd look like a damn fool in one.....and in any other hat you'd dare to put on for that matter.
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:51 pm By the way....im no cowboy and I wouldn't claim to be....but I have a ton of respect for who they are and the code they live by....the real ones. And I will wear the hat from time to time. I got enough misprunciations in my vocabulary get away with it....I wouldn't be confused with someone as sophisticated and intellectual as yourself.

and I agree...You'd look like a damn fool in one.....and in any other hat you'd dare to put on for that matter.
Seems as if we have the same opinion of one another.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

It’s fine. As my wife (Ph.D. in English) is quick to point out, dictionaries update to accommodate colloquial usages. In my mind, that’s not the same as being correct, but whatever.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Every time anyone says “my wife” on these boreds, I hear it in my head in a Borat voice
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:44 am

It’s fine. As my wife (Ph.D. in English) is quick to point out, dictionaries update to accommodate colloquial usages. In my mind, that’s not the same as being correct, but whatever.
Or...in this case..
.the pronunciation of the word predates the first publishing of the dictionary.....so no need to update to include the syncope present in colloquial usage.

The word caramel can acceptably be pronounced in several accepted ways, including KARR-uh-mel, KARR-uh-muhl, and, in North American English, KAR-muhl. The disappearance of that second syllable -uh- in the final pronunciation seems to have been in the works for a long time. The word has been in English since the 18th century.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Toe-MAH-toe - how do you feel about that one?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:19 am Every time anyone says “my wife” on these boreds, I hear it in my head in a Borat voice
High five! Yakshemash!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ah, your third "expert acquaintance" of the day. You know a guy for every situation, don't you?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

lol
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 am

Ah, your third "expert acquaintance" of the day. You know a guy for every situation, don't you?
I do associate with a lot of intelligent, successful people. Comes in handy all the time.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:02 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:59 am

I do associate with a lot of intelligent, successful people. Comes in handy all the time.
Butina was very intelligent. As are most fellow travelers.