Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Shirley »

Performing the dance that allows you to thread the needle of criticizing Bibi, et al, while not finding yourself accused of being antisemitic, is fraught.

Perhaps only exceeded by Israel ensuring its existence while nearly surrounded by often hostile countries that don't recognize said existence, and not coming across as too aggressive and imperialistic.

That being said, fuck Bibi. I don't expect Israelis to accept his fascist "judicial reforms" any more than I expect Americans who aren't part of Trump's fascist cult to accept his attempt to violently overthrow our government.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Where is that line drawn, then?

Russia claims Ukrainian territory by force, and we fault Russia for doing so…Israel claims Palestinian territory by force, and we fault the surrounding countries for not recognizing Israel’s existence…
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

can we nuke them all and let god it sort it out.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:25 am Where is that line drawn, then?

Russia claims Ukrainian territory by force, and we fault Russia for doing so…Israel claims Palestinian territory by force, and we fault the surrounding countries for not recognizing Israel’s existence…
It will take something stronger than ganja for me to accept your premise that Israel and Russia are equivalent.

pass
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I do think hard-line authoritarian government is not good for Israel. I hope for moderation and peace.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So what I think yer saying is, taking territory by force isn’t inherently bad

it’s only bad when a boogeyman does it, but OK when an ally does?

(Or when we did/do in Merica)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

imo, it isn’t ok that Israel is doing it either

if you want to expand your borders, buy land from your neighbors

don’t invade and start a war, don’t keep squatting in an effort to reach some critical mass
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

This analogy might be valid if Ukraine and all of the other Slavic peoples had, repeatedly, declared war on Russia, attacked it in unison, and lost (over and over and over again), leaving Russia in a spot where it felt it needed a security buffer.

But since that didn't happen, the analogy is just stoopid.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Also, I love that Jenin is still considered a "refugee camp" -- 75 years later.

Makes for more funnerer headlines that way, I think.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, it’s rare for western media to afford Palestine language as kind as “refugee camp.” I’ve mostly just seen “refugee camp that harbors terrorists,” and such.

And I’d pretty fun that you insinuate it’s some thing of the past for Israeli forces (armed by you and me) to turn Palestinians into refugees.

Lemme guess - did congress also pass some performative and meaningless vote to declare Palestinians displaced by Israel are no longer gonna be called “refugees” too?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:04 pm

This analogy might be valid if Ukraine and all of the other Slavic peoples had, repeatedly, declared war on Russia, attacked it in unison, and lost (over and over and over again), leaving Russia in a spot where it felt it needed a security buffer.

Yea, for sure, cuz Ukraine and other Slavic peoples have historically like always totally gotten along with Russia, up until February 2022.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:48 pm

Yea, for sure, cuz Ukraine and other Slavic peoples have historically like always totally gotten along with Russia, up until February 2022.
It's as if 2 line analogies aren't a great way to sum up issues that have gone on for thousands of years... who knew?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Let there be light.
And it was good.
Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

:roll:
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Feral wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 am Performing the dance that allows you to thread the needle of criticizing Bibi, et al, while not finding yourself accused of being antisemitic, is fraught.

Perhaps only exceeded by Israel ensuring its existence while nearly surrounded by often hostile countries that don't recognize said existence, and not coming across as too aggressive and imperialistic.

That being said, fuck Bibi. I don't expect Israelis to accept his fascist "judicial reforms" any more than I expect Americans who aren't part of Trump's fascist cult to accept his attempt to violently overthrow our government.
There is absolutely nothing antisemitic about criticizing Bibi's judicial reforms.

Or the more concerning - his being in power by forming a coalition with far right parties. Which, to be fair, he has been criticizing lately. But, again, that's been more performative, considering Ben G'vir still holds power.

Referring broadly to Israel as racist or apartheid or being flat out anti-Zionist - that's where you get into antisemitic territory.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:08 pm

:roll:
Holy shit
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

And throw in there Russia refusing to exist at all if it means Ukraine exists.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

anyone care to quote this so as to ask mjl how he conflates Israeli human rights abuses against Palestinians with getting "into antisemitic territory?"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and for that matter, AOC and Omar and Cori Bush, "The Squad" boycotting Herzog's speech to Congress.

was the squad's motivation to do so antisemitic?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:38 am and for that matter, AOC and Omar and Cori Bush, "The Squad" boycotting Herzog's speech to Congress.

was the squad's motivation to do so antisemitic?
I don't know if it was antisemitic, but it was high-lariously stoopid.

We HaTe BiBi,sO wE'rE gOnNa BoYcOtT hErZoG!