Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by TDub »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:17 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:32 pm no. what's ridiculous is trotting out student athletes, who are now professionals, who supposedly attend a school like UCLA and having them play a Tuesday night conference game in New Jersey at Rutgers and calling that an improvement for college athletics.
Well, I think we can all agree it would be very exciting and good for the program to move to the MVC so that no one is traveling too much. Belmont is a stretch, though—hope they won't have to travel to Nashville every year.
not what I'm suggesting, but you knew that. Being super cool and uber hip, but still the village idiot is kinda your thing.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Money is running things.
We know that.
Doesn't mean we have to like that it is.
surly

Post by surly »

Today, 7:06 pm
TequillaTequilla
August 1
edited August 1
Let's summarize the key financial terms (of P12 media deal now on the table):
$20M base annual rights from Apple for the duration of the contract ($240M total at 12 programs)
Subscription fee of $1/qtr depending on certain key subscriber thresholds met
Newbies will receive a half of their share of related revenue over the duration of the contract
A pool of money ($70M) will be leveraged by the conference as a whole to cover the Comcast related debt and the estimated related buyouts of the newbies
Key Assumptions that I'm making in the calculation:
Assuming an average subscriber base at between 20M-30M average annual subscribers and that that threshold is maintained throughout the duration of the agreement (will quantify what the impact of going up/down a level is)
Assuming that the newbies will give up half of their share of both the $20M base annual rights AND the subscriber contribution bonus from Apple
Scenarios run with adding 3 teams (assumes Arizona stays) and 4 teams (assumes Arizona goes to the Big12 as expected)
There are 3 basic tranches of payments: Big Fish (UW/Ore/Utah), remaining PAC teams, and Newbies

The basic financial formula is as follows:

Base Rights Fee + Subscriber Bonus +/- "Newcomer Tax" = Recurring Annual Revenue over life of contract
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:06 pm not what I'm suggesting, but you knew that. Being super cool and uber hip, but still the village idiot is kinda your thing.
The point is that I don't know what the fuck you guys want. You complain about edge cases, but clearly you don't want the absurd, exaggerated model of regionality that I'm mocking either. Why is the status quo circa 2009 so desirable?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:32 pm Money is running things.
We know that.
Doesn't mean we have to like that it is.
Money runs everything, more or less. I don't like it either. I do like seeing athletes get paid and seeing my team play the best competition possible.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Because college sports was largely built before money ran it and during that time big rivalries were formed in these leagues and now they are being broken apart.

And UCF and Arizona joining the B12 isn’t an “edge case” to me.

And finally, honestly, at this point I might not mind joining a league like that with your Belmont’s etc.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 am Because college sports was largely built before money ran it and during that time big rivalries were formed in these leagues and now they are being broken apart.

And finally, honestly, at this point I might not mind joining a league like that with your Belmont’s etc.
The edge case I meant was Rutgers/UCLA, regarding the travel complaint. I look at Kansas having to travel to Tucson or Orlando, and it’s just not that different from UCLA or Arizona playing in Seattle or Pullman or Corvallis.

I do get the complaint about rivalries, but these programs have the ability to schedule their historic rivals, and they should. KU plays Mizzou in basketball now and I think that’s cool.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:43 am
pdub wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:23 am Because college sports was largely built before money ran it and during that time big rivalries were formed in these leagues and now they are being broken apart.

The edge case I meant was Rutgers/UCLA, regarding the travel complaint. I look at Kansas having to travel to Tucson or Orlando, and it’s just not that different from UCLA or Arizona playing in Seattle or Pullman or Corvallis.

I do get the complaint about rivalries, but these programs have the ability to schedule their historic rivals, and they should. KU plays Mizzou in basketball now and I think that’s cool.
Bingo
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's very different to me if it's just a non conference game and they aren't in your league.
You aren't competing for a title against them -- you're playing some game in November in Kansas City.
There were epic games, because we played them on the road and at home, and because often the games meant the difference between winning the conference or not, vs MIZZOU when they were in our conference - that's gone. This year, we're only playing Iowa State once in basketball -- when was the last time that happened?

And i'm not talking about UCLA going to Seattle - i'm talking about Kansas.

https://www.theringer.com/college-footb ... ig-ten-sec

"The problem, over a matter of decades, is that these rivalries will not be replaced. Ohio State and USC will almost certainly play epic games with the best players in the country, but so much of what makes college football great is how interconnected schools are, not just by geography, but by history."

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia ... -athletics

"The only thing that those who are making these decisions are worried about is money. They don't care about storied rivalries that may disintegrate. The problem is, they're not thinking about how this will affect each conference long-term. If these conferences get so spread out to the point where it feels diluted of its regional rivalries, the passion for college athletics will begin to wear."

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234682570/
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the BIG 12 is my favorite.

the cats out of the bag. my only mission now is the long term survival and thrive and flourish of the BIG 12.

the days of collegiate athletics being awesome are over. we are now in the semi pro collegiate like athletics portion. it is sort of like college. more like pro.

there is going to be 4, maybe 3 power conferences. i want the BIG 12 to be one of them.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
surly

Post by surly »

ku/uofa will develop into a huge rivalry, must see tv. cu will be like hand-in-glove, never know they left. utah/byu already is a holy war. this newly aligned b12 will put that one on the front burner. ucf is the outlier, pretty much. but beyond them, they'll be plenty of new rivalry stuff if this comes together with the four-corner schools.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

ChicagoHawk wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:43 am I do get the complaint about rivalries, but these programs have the ability to schedule their historic rivals, and they should. KU plays Mizzou in basketball now and I think that’s cool.

OT, but they need the exposure and cache of their "historic rivalry" with KU. We don't.

They suck, and I'd love it if we invited them to pound sand going forward.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
surly

Post by surly »

A group of Big Ten presidents have begun exploratory discussions on expansion in light of Pac 12 uncertainty, industry sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Focus is on possibly adding Oregon and Washington to move to 18 members or Cal and Stanford to reach 20. https://t.co/0kJj4twFdq

— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) August 2, 2023
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Big 12 has first pick. I think they just get Arizona. Stay at 14 and call it good.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

seems dangerous to stay at 14 if the right 2 schools are asking
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

North Pac to Big 10(20)
Four Corners to Big 12(16)
Oregon State & Washington = Pac 2
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

FSU news doesn’t sound good for ACC
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Was interesting to hear that the Big Ten is potentially looking at Stanford and Cal. I figured they'd take Oregon and Washington and leave the rest for now. If they get all four, it's pretty easy to imagine how they restructure the conference for 20 teams. West division with all of the ex-Pacs, other divisions remain intact and get renamed to Central and East or something.
surly

Post by surly »

i see the purpose of the b10 here as a classic "false flag." use it as an excuse for the four-corner schools pulling the plug first, joining the b12, breaking the league, so the b10 is not accused of destroying it altogether, but rather coming in later as a white knight saving oregon and uw, perhaps the tree and cal as well. they'll also get them at deep discounts. no one in their right mind would pay an additional $70 million per year for the bay area pair, and they can certainly get the first two for half that number or less.

https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/16 ... forums%2F2
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

has anyone checked on Bill Walton?
Just Ledoux it