Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by KUTradition »

riiiiight…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Times met a regular voter at a diner who said some things that were negative of Hillary. Every day for two years.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The Republican Accountability Project is out with a new ad in response to former President Trump's third indictment, and it will run in swing states on programs Trump is known to watch. Sarah Longwell joins Morning Joe to discuss.

https://youtu.be/mYwyMxH9f7M
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:23 pm The Republican Accountability Project is out with a new ad in response to former President Trump's third indictment, and it will run in swing states on programs Trump is known to watch. Sarah Longwell joins Morning Joe to discuss.

https://youtu.be/mYwyMxH9f7M
Their plans are right there in the indictment. You have to be a special kind of anti-democracy to even have people in your inner- or second-circle who advance plans to stage a coup as predicate for deploying the military against citizens.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

but dude, did you hear about Hunter and the Biden crime family?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:55 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:14 am this board is blatant evidence that those “folks” can’t be talked to or reasoned with

they’re broken
If only there were some sort of “camp” that all the rubes could be rounded up and placed in. For their own good and the safety of decent folks like yourself.
We built it decades ago, we call it the SEC. And the best part is they go there voluntarily, cuz we ain't fuckin fascists.

They come for the football and stay for the searing heat, bigotry, polluted water and low wages.

You can always go back, or leave, that's the beauty of it. No walls or fences, just the barriers of your own internal creation.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:35 pm
JKLivin wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:55 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:14 am this board is blatant evidence that those “folks” can’t be talked to or reasoned with

they’re broken
If only there were some sort of “camp” that all the rubes could be rounded up and placed in. For their own good and the safety of decent folks like yourself.
We built it decades ago, we call it the SEC. And the best part is they go there voluntarily, cuz we ain't fuckin fascists.

They come for the football and stay for the searing heat, bigotry, polluted water and low wages.

You can always go back, or leave, that's the beauty of it. No walls or fences, just the barriers of your own internal creation.
Um, okay. Balkanization is nothing new, and doesn't really have a great track record, FWIW.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:58 pm
Um, okay. Balkanization is nothing new, and doesn't really have a great track record, FWIW.
Nor does wanting living wages and full time work/benefits while voting R.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:10 pm
I don't consider myself R so much as anti-D.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:14 pm
So just a complainer. Got it.

"What do you want for dinner?"

"Not Mexican and not burgers and not sushi"

Those people suck.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:28 pm

Sure. That's it. Exactly.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:30 pm

You can't just be against things and then state that you're FOR anything. By your own admission, you just take the anti-dem stance on every topic, every issue and every discussion. It shows in everything you do because things you're fine with directly contradict what you claim to be against on a regular basis.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:36 pm
You can't just be against things and then state that you're FOR anything. By your own admission, you just take the anti-dem stance on every topic, every issue and every discussion. It shows in everything you do because things you're fine with directly contradict what you claim to be against on a regular basis.
Not true. It's actually quite simple: I'm for things that benefit me and against ones that don't, just like anyone else who is honest.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:49 pm

Not true. It's actually quite simple: I'm for things that benefit me and against ones that don't, just like anyone else who is honest.
There are some of us who vote for the greater good, you know, for the country.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:49 pm

"just like anyone else who is honest"

Of course a selfish person assumes that everyone else is selfish just as cheaters assume everyone else is cheating.

I am for several things that do not benefit me personally and frankly, probably take some money out of my own pocket. So maybe people just need to find a better way to make those things appeal to selifsh people.

Instead of "Support programs that aid lower income people so that they have a better chance at the good life you already enjoy" they should go with "Support programs that aid lower income people so that they are less likely to try to steal from the good life you already enjoy".

Better?

I am a firm believer that a community as a whole is improved by helping out those at the lowest place in the community. It helps lower crime rates, it helps property values, it helps school systems, it helps overall community relations. It generally leads to a more healthy, vibrant community as a whole and in the long run, that benefits each individual member "selfishly". If selfish people would stop being so impatient and stop demanding that "their tax dollars should benefit anyone BUT them" then they could actually see the improvements to their lives and communities that they seek. Some people just seem incapable of feeling better about themselves without knocking someone around them down a peg.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what’s that saying about the best way to judge a society?

(rhetorical sarcasm)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:59 pm
And there are some who vote as a manifestation of their personal grievance fixation. They will vote to "own the libs", even against their own self interests.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:37 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:59 pm
And there are some who vote as a manifestation of their personal grievance fixation. They will vote to "own the libs", even against their own self interests.
I'm genuinely curious what percentage of Trump voters personally, tangibly benefit from him being in the White House. Certainly there are some: business owners, real estate investors, wealthy families, etc.

But I would guess that for a majority of Trump voters - a strong majority - what they get out of the bargain really is limited to "owning the libs" and/or scratching a grievance itch.

Which is really one of the big mysteries here. For a MASSIVE swath of Trump voters - particularly in Appalachia and the deep South - their day-to-day lives simply would be tangibly, objectively better under Democratic leadership. And yet they are intractably, religiously Trump.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »