Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by pdub »

Yea it’ll be two.
Like professional sports.
Yay.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If the options are this or end up in the MAC or Mountain West, I'll take this all day.

It's basically just going to feel like one long non-conference season with a few consistent regional matchups in ISU and KSU. If it stays relatively static for a decade after this and some consistent rivalries develop then that's great. Maybe KU vs. Arizona in basketball turns into a fun thing, I don't know.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Down the road two turns to the left and you end up with two mega conferences and we end up in a division inside one of those with all our old rivalries back in play.

So UCONN and ZAGS maybe to BIG12 in BB capacity only.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:06 am
seems doubtful given that football $ is driving this bus
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Have to give Yormark some kudos here. Before he took Bowlsby's place, it was looking grim for preserving the Big 12. Bowlsby always seemed to be behind the curve. We were wondering where KU was going to land. Yormark got ahead of the curve and beat the Pac 12 for a TV contract and put them behind the eight-ball. Now, the Pac is sinking and the Big 12 is looking solid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

AlOerter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:56 am Have to give Yormark some kudos here. Before he took Bowlsby's place, it was looking grim for preserving the Big 12. Bowlsby always seemed to be behind the curve. We were wondering where KU was going to land. Yormark got ahead of the curve and beat the Pac 12 for a TV contract and put them behind the eight-ball. Now, the Pac is sinking and the Big 12 is looking solid.
I agree. I would - like a lot of us - have preferred for things to stay the way they were when I was 11, forever.

But that wasn't happening.

And in three years' time, Yormark took the Big 12 from poached to poacher, and - geographically and in many other meaningful ways - positioned the Big 12 to be one of three or four (depending on what happens out east) survivors.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:52 am
Your right but why did the commish even talk to ZAGS and UCONN. Zags have no football and UCONN is KU 2.0. See down that road two turns to the left and then sharp curve to the right and poof BB is now in play.

The two mega conferences walk from the Dumb as Fuck NCAA and take March Madness with them.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hartjack8 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:43 am
KUTradition wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:52 am
Your right but why did the commish even talk to ZAGS and UCONN. Zags have no football and UCONN is KU 2.0. See down that road two turns to the left and then sharp curve to the right and poof BB is now in play.

The two mega conferences walk from the Dumb as Fuck NCAA and take March Madness with them.
i read somewhere that Fox was willing to add cash to the tv deal up to 14, but that anything beyond that would require renegotiation

i’m not sure if that’s changed with the recent adds, but that’s where my thinking comes from
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Lost in this shuffle is it is now easier to have solid content in broadcasts. Broadcasters can have strong brands. And BB will be a better sale
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

The Big XII is pretty lucky to have Yormark.

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football ... 12-schools
surly

Post by surly »

four pods:

k-state, isu, cu, ku
uu, uofa, asu, byu
txt, osu, tcu, baylor
houston, ucf, wvu, nati

then when the acc bursts

ncstate, pitt, the ville, v'tech

the trick will be blending uconn and the zags when yormark brings them in the fold which should be soon. :D
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Remember when Cascadia wanted KU to join the B12?

Glad we didn’t listen to that guy.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:25 pm The Big XII is pretty lucky to have Yormark.

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football ... 12-schools
You're right. In retrospect, Bowlsby nearly sunk the Big 12. As was said about the ACC in the above article, he was reactive instead of proactive.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:18 pm Remember when Cascadia wanted KU to join the B12?

Glad we didn’t listen to that guy.
Message boards were in their infancy back '93...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Remember these comments from a year ago?

Naturally, when the floor was opened for questions, Kliavkoff was presented with a question concerning the comments made by Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark a couple of weeks ago, saying that the Big 12 was “open for business.” That question sparked a fire in Kliavkoff and that is when the gloves came off.

“I appreciate that,” Kliavkoff said of Yormark’s statement, “We haven’t decided if we’re going to shop there or not.”

Woof. Talk about throwing shade at the new guy. The idea that the Pac-12 would be able to lure teams away from the Big 12, given its position right now, is just asinine. https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... id-big-12/
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

My pipe dream is that the multi-mega conference structure is a relatively quick stop along the road to a single league for revenue sports—possibly with multiple divisions based on performance—organized outside of the NCAA system.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so...the NBA, the NFL, the premier league?

You dont want college sports.
Just Ledoux it
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

how about this from the Phog:

Big 12 expansion: 'Very real chance' league gets to 18 with Gonzaga, UConn as basketball-only additions

Possible two TV deals, one football one hoops

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 77ybyKiH8c
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

I predict 24 (twenty-four) will be the magic number of teams, for each of four (4) leagues. In what was known as Div. 1A.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...