The 2024 Presidential Debate Thread

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The 2024 Presidential Debate Thread

Post by KUTradition »

while he’s not wrong, it’s unfortunately not as simple as that
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If a compulsive liar who thinks climate change is a "hoax" with connections to George Soros who is pro-mask and wants to cut aid to Israel is the "future" of the republican party, it's a good day to be a democrat.

https://twitter.com/TX2005TX/status/169 ... wsrc%5Etfw

https://flic.kr/p/2oXDSuu

https://flic.kr/p/2oXFZ6v
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that seems pretty, uh, corrupt

(don’t tell randy)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overall, I think Haley did well. Not that she has a prayer, except possibly as VP.

https://twitter.com/RussOnPolitics/stat ... wsrc%5Etfw
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Vivek is a juvenile clown, just an antsy bomb-thrower. He is all talking point, no substance. Go look up his closing argument last night - it’s literally talking point bingo.

He’s clearly intelligent - quick on his feet, eloquent, great recall ability, etc. But, even setting politics aside, it’s an insult to compare him to Obama. He’s Diet Obama. Obama Zero. Obama Zero with 3x Caffeine.

He’s the sort of guy you hope finds better things to do with his time and obvious talent, than spend it (and his reputational capital) begging for the Trump VP nod.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote:...But, even setting politics aside, it’s an insult to compare him to Obama. He’s Diet Obama. Obama Zero. Obama Zero with 3x Caffeine...
True, but when you consider the group that the candidates were attempting to appeal to has the bigoted mentality and intelligence of Psych and Randy, it's likely 70-80% of "the base" still buys Trump's racist Birther lie that Obama wasn't born in the US, and makes perfect sense.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:51 am
jfish26 wrote:...But, even setting politics aside, it’s an insult to compare him to Obama. He’s Diet Obama. Obama Zero. Obama Zero with 3x Caffeine...
True, but when you consider the group that the candidates were attempting to appeal to has the bigoted mentality and intelligence of Psych and Randy, it's likely 70-80% of "the base" still buys Trump's racist Birther lie that Obama wasn't born in the US, and makes perfect sense.
I think it’s just a bizarre joke play. Trumpism in an Obama-but-at-78-rpm package.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

I'd wager that my IQ is higher than yours.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you are hacking away at him. nonstop. that tells me he might be on to something.

maybe you see him as a threat. you better turn up the propaganda.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:03 am you are hacking away at him. nonstop. that tells me he might be on to something.

I don’t think he’s a threat to anything except the quality of general discourse. He’s a walking, talking, spitting, dancing example of Western Civ II Kid. The kid who comes back from freshman year of college thinking he knows everything (when what he really should have learned is that he doesn’t know anything).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you have pointed all your propaganda squarely at him. that tells me he threatens you.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:03 am you are hacking away at him. nonstop. that tells me he might be on to something.

Good lord, you sound like all the Little Brother fanbases Mizzou, K-State, Iowa State and now the Bengals and Bills. "If you're talking about us then we're in your head because you're scared of us".

No, we're just talking about Trump because his last administration was a hot mess, resulting in him now facing 97 criminal charges and who is also the most likely GOP nominee for the next Presidential election.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:02 am
You have an inflated, distorted sense of reality everywhere else so this doesn't surprise me.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

my dad could beat up your dad

:lol:
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:30 am

You have an inflated, distorted sense of reality everywhere else so this doesn't surprise me.
No distortion is necessary. The standard statistical distribution bears it out as a very likely reality.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Bully
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:20 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:30 am

No distortion is necessary. The standard statistical distribution bears it out as a very likely reality.
Certainly possible.

I apologize for objectifying you Psych, but I think the following is germane in light of the discussion.

True story:

Way, way back in the .com days, I had met several other .com people and at a small gathering we were, of course, talking about .com. It's hard to be sure, but for context, I'm almost certain this predated DC's arrival, and the end of Psych's marriage.

So, we're telling/reliving .com stories and Psych's name comes up. One of the spouses who didn't participate in .com asked "Who's Psych?"

Me: "He's this brilliant guy who...(interrupted)

.comer: Brilliant!? Brilliant!? Are you kidding, and then they launched into a recitation of things, much of which had occurred before I was on .com, which added up to - "He had a bad childhood that left him emotionally scared and with a pov...".

Which was pretty much what I was going to say, before they interrupted me.

The .comer was a bright person who had been around there longer than me, and could therefore likely make a more accurate judgement, I decided.

It's funny how my opinion has waxed and waned over the years.

It would be interesting to hear how the .comer remembers the episode.
Anand Giridharadas