Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Exercise/fitness

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:49 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:43 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:40 am

You sir are absolutely nauseating. No, I'm saying absolutely every candidate should be wanting to improve the health of the people of our country. But none of them do. Unless it lines the pockets of big pharma, not cuts into their profits
You think "be big and strong and you won't die" is medical advice. Hard pass.
No I don't. Being physically fit doesn't mean having huge muscles. Just means being in shape, not obese (which comes with a ridiculous amount of health problems) and having some stamina. It's good for the mind body and soul. Exercise literally makes people happier because of dopamine releases that comes with it. Helps with stress. Stress can impact the body in many ways.

There isn't a realistic argument about improving the overall fitness of this country. Healthier bodies will creates happy healthier minds and a happier society. Would save us a fortune in health care costs

(And not to mention something like covid would be lessened to a large degree)
I won't harsh your Black-Rifle-lyfe mellow.

But I do wish you'd apply this same obvious logic elsewhere.

Guns, for example:
There isn't a realistic argument about REDUCING GUN VIOLENCE IN this country. FEWER GUNS AND ADDITIONAL COMMON-SENSE LIMITS will create SAFER PUBLIC PLACES AND HOMES and a happier AND LESS BULLET-RIDDLED society. Would save us a fortune in health care AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AND CONSTRUCTION AND INCARCERATION costs
See how easy this is?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:33 am
defixione wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:26 am JFK says hello. His program wouldn't fly in MAGA world . . . government overreach.
Also, there was...recently...a First Lady who sort of made youth nutrition her thing. Then an administration of the other political party did what it always does, and (to the benefit of its lobbyists and their clients) chopped off a useful program right at the knees (such that it no longer served its purpose).

Why do I suspect, though, that a Randy-imagined "youth physical health and nutrition" program would NOT look very, ah, normal on the ground.
^^^

To both posts.

If you hadn't brought up Michelle Obama's attempts to improve the nutrition of the nation's children, I would have.

It's no surprise that much like Psych, Randy's ideology renders him unable to acknowledge, much less comprehend or agree with your point, even tho it affirms his alleged "point".
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I agree health should start in the home. And it already does. Active parents have active children usually. But like you pointed out only 1 in 5 Americans belong to a health club.

And what's the Percentages on obesity? About half the country?

We are a ridiculously lazy nation. Only a few decades ago it was drastically different
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A few decades ago, half the country did not defame the First Lady for trying to improve children's fitness. Or push people off school lunches and into poverty where starch is the new fad diet.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Randy wrote:...I'm saying absolutely every candidate should be wanting to improve the health of the people of our country. But none of them do. Unless it lines the pockets of big pharma, not cuts into their profits...
Maybe you should talk to your fellow cult members, Randy. Because the problem isn't because of democrats:

How Conservative Media's Attacks On Michelle Obama's Anti-Obesity Efforts May Lead To A Government Shutdown

Republican lawmakers reportedly plan to demand the suspension of first lady Michelle Obama's school lunch program in order to avoid a government shutdown, an ultimatum that follows follows a sustained conservative media campaign against her anti-obesity efforts...

...The dispute provides a fresh illustration of the ways special interests can assert power in Washington. In this case, food companies forged an alliance with a key lobbying group, the School Nutrition Association, and pushed it to shift its position from publicly supporting the Obama-backed standards to pressing Congress for relief.

...On Thursday, a House committee voted for a Republican-backed measure that would allow school districts to temporarily opt out of the nutrition standards, which were passed in 2010 with the support of the White House and set mandates to reduce sodium and increase whole grains and servings of fresh fruits and vegetables.

The party-line vote served as a rebuke of sorts to the first lady, who has made curbing childhood obesity a priority and delivered a series of public pronouncements in recent days decrying the opt-out proposal as a full embrace of junk food...
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Now now, facts and professional reporting have no place here.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:08 pm Now now, facts and professional reporting have no place here.
^^^

I decided to go out on a limb and make that post without vetting it with Randy first. I can only hope and pray he doesn't call me out and embarrass me by proving me wrong with one of his "sources".

#fingerscrossed
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:12 pm I agree health should start in the home. And it already does. Active parents have active children usually. But like you pointed out only 1 in 5 Americans belong to a health club.

And what's the Percentages on obesity? About half the country?

We are a ridiculously lazy nation. Only a few decades ago it was drastically different
"only 1 in 5".
A. The point of my providing the link was to respond to your question of "Will our country ever take health and fitness seriously again"? Seems in regards to joining health clubs, our country is taking it as serious as ever.
B. Do you realize in regards to health club memberships, the USA has a larger percentage of citizens who belong to health clubs than the majority of countries that are considered healthier?

OF COURSE that being said, I realize the flip side is A LOT of people join health clubs for reasons that don't specifically focus on fitness.

Your question regarding obesity...
My response is.... A way too high percentage. For some valid reasons and some asinine reasons.

I wonder if your saying "we are a ridiculously lazy nation" is or isn't more opinion based than factual. I honestly don't know how we compare to others nations in regards to laziness.
I'm a fat fuck. I can (should?) probably be considered obese. I rode my bike along the lakefront today like I do many weekend days. There were a shit ton of people running, jogging, walking, blading, and riding bikes. A considerable percentage were fat fucks like me. As I say when I see a fat person running/jogging, I give them credit for the effort.
I choose to walk miles a day. I don't consider myself lazy.
I feel physical laziness is less of an issue in this country than food consumption laziness. I know it is for me but of course I do feel physical laziness is an issue that exists.
I am in complete agreement with you in regards food consumption, we suck as a country and way too many people are unhealthy in that regard. It's sad.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.