Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by Shirley »

Excellent points, Gutter, thanks for taking the time. And, knowing what I do, and knowing someone here who knows you better than I do, I don't doubt for a second that you do know people who know her well, and can corroborate* what you say.

*confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding).
"the witness had corroborated the boy's account of the attack"

I don't post the alternative to what you wrote as a "gotcha", I just love words.

Word of the Day: corroborate

corroborate \ kə-ˈrä-bə-ˌrāt \ verb

1. give evidence for

2. support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm

3. establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts

The word corroborate has appeared in 175 articles on NYTimes.com in the past year, including on Sept. 2 in “The Unexpected Power of Random Acts of Kindness” by Catherine Pearson:

In late August, Erin Alexander, 57, sat in the parking lot of a Target store in Fairfield, Calif., and wept. Her sister-in-law had recently died, and Ms. Alexander was having a hard day.

A barista working at the Starbucks inside the Target was too. The espresso machine had broken down and she was clearly stressed. Ms. Alexander — who’d stopped crying and gone inside for some caffeine — smiled, ordered an iced green tea, and told her to hang in there. After picking up her order, she noticed a message on the cup: “Erin,” the barista had scrawled next to a heart, “your soul is golden.”

“I’m not sure I even necessarily know what ‘your soul is golden’ means,” said Ms. Alexander, who laughed and cried while recalling the incident.

But the warmth of that small and unexpected gesture, from a stranger who had no inkling of what she was going through, moved her deeply.

“Of course, I was still really sad,” Ms. Alexander said. “But that little thing made the rest of my day.”

New findings, published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology in August, corroborate just how powerful experiences like Ms. Alexander’s can be. Researchers found that people who perform a random act of kindness tend to underestimate how much the recipient will appreciate it. And they believe that miscalculation could hold many of us back from doing nice things for others more often.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:12 am Excellent points, Gutter, thanks for taking the time. And, knowing what I do, and knowing someone here who knows you better than I do, I don't doubt for a second that you do know people who know her well, and can corroborate* what you say.

*confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding).
"the witness had corroborated the boy's account of the attack"

I don't post the alternative to what you wrote as a "gotcha", I just love words.

Word of the Day: corroborate

corroborate \ kə-ˈrä-bə-ˌrāt \ verb

1. give evidence for

2. support with evidence or authority or make more certain or confirm

3. establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts

The word corroborate has appeared in 175 articles on NYTimes.com in the past year, including on Sept. 2 in “The Unexpected Power of Random Acts of Kindness” by Catherine Pearson:

In late August, Erin Alexander, 57, sat in the parking lot of a Target store in Fairfield, Calif., and wept. Her sister-in-law had recently died, and Ms. Alexander was having a hard day.

A barista working at the Starbucks inside the Target was too. The espresso machine had broken down and she was clearly stressed. Ms. Alexander — who’d stopped crying and gone inside for some caffeine — smiled, ordered an iced green tea, and told her to hang in there. After picking up her order, she noticed a message on the cup: “Erin,” the barista had scrawled next to a heart, “your soul is golden.”

“I’m not sure I even necessarily know what ‘your soul is golden’ means,” said Ms. Alexander, who laughed and cried while recalling the incident.

But the warmth of that small and unexpected gesture, from a stranger who had no inkling of what she was going through, moved her deeply.

“Of course, I was still really sad,” Ms. Alexander said. “But that little thing made the rest of my day.”

New findings, published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology in August, corroborate just how powerful experiences like Ms. Alexander’s can be. Researchers found that people who perform a random act of kindness tend to underestimate how much the recipient will appreciate it. And they believe that miscalculation could hold many of us back from doing nice things for others more often.

[...]
I laughed when I first saw and then read your response because I often use the wrong word/s. Of course corroborate would have been a better word for me to have used. Although, collaborate kind of works too but not to the same degree.

Regardless of all that, I don't mind TDub expressing his opinions and sentiment and actually like when he does it. It engages me (and others) in dialogue.
It's people such as randy who spew OTHER people's opinions and sentiment and then present them as being factual (without doing an ounce of research and verification) that I have a much bigger problem with.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gutter wrote:...Regardless of all that, I don't mind TDub expressing his opinions and sentiment and actually like when he does it. It engages me (and others) in dialogue.

It's people such as randy who spew OTHER people's opinions and sentiment and then present them as being factual (without doing an ounce of research and verification) that I have a much bigger problem with.
^^^ x 100

I eagerly anticipate TDub's response.

I wondered if you weren't an innocent victim of spellcheck?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: How can we as republicans most effectively light a fire under democrats this far away from the election now that we've already realized our decade's-long goal of forcing the government on women, taking away a woman's ability to control her own body and forcing women to carry pregnancies to term whether they want to, or not? Because, "small government conservative" party!

Or, Today In: Performative Politics!

https://twitter.com/cwebbonline/status/ ... 3170254962
https://flic.kr/p/2p2BEJ4
Anand Giridharadas
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

"Logical next step...led by Comer and Jordan"

What could go wrong?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:47 am Today In: How can we as republicans most effectively light a fire under democrats this far away from the election now that we've already realized our decade's-long goal of forcing the government on women, taking away a woman's ability to control her own body and forcing women to carry pregnancies to term whether they want to, or not? Because, "small government conservative" party!

Impeachment has been so misused and overused in recent history that it has ceased to have any actual meaning. Complete and utter waste of time and resources.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:00 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:47 am Today In: How can we as republicans most effectively light a fire under democrats this far away from the election now that we've already realized our decade's-long goal of forcing the government on women, taking away a woman's ability to control her own body and forcing women to carry pregnancies to term whether they want to, or not? Because, "small government conservative" party!

Impeachment has been so misused and overused in recent history that it has ceased to have any actual meaning. Complete and utter waste of time and resources.
Let's see.

Clinton was impeached for a blowie. Biden is being investigated for impeachment for claims...that are, to this point, unsupported by evidence. Despite lots and lots and lots and lots of effort to find it.

Trump was impeached for (1) extorting an at-risk ally for election interference in his personal favor, and (2) inciting - charitably - a violent riot at the US Capitol because he wouldn't admit he lost an election.

This isn't like-for-like!
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:25 pm

Let's see.

Clinton was impeached for a blowie. Biden is being investigated for impeachment for claims...that are, to this point, unsupported by evidence. Despite lots and lots and lots and lots of effort to find it.

Trump was impeached for (1) extorting an at-risk ally for election interference in his personal favor, and (2) inciting - charitably - a violent riot at the US Capitol because he wouldn't admit he lost an election.

Translation: "When WE do it, it is legitimate!" This is one of the reasons our political system is in the crapper.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i was reffing a high school soccer game last night. a coach didn't like a call and he threatened to open up an impeachment inquiry against me.

it is so watered down. it has no meaning anymore.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:39 pm

Let's see.

Translation: "When WE do it, it is legitimate!" This is one of the reasons our political system is in the crapper.
If by "this," you mean "the constant need to find equivalency where none actually exists," I'd agree.

Neither side operates purely in good faith. One side spends MUCH more time in the bad faith sandbox than the other. That is simply the truth. And pretending otherwise, especially when you're not a mark - it's not great.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:45 pm i was reffing a high school soccer game last night. a coach didn't like a call and he threatened to open up an impeachment inquiry against me.

This is as true as that story you told about your grandfather admonishing you against living in Democrat run shitholes or whatever you said.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:45 pm i was reffing a high school soccer game last night. a coach didn't like a call and he threatened to open up an impeachment inquiry against me.

I'm surprised he didn't call his friends to come join him in protesting your call.
You know, White Michigan style!

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It's happened just three times in recent history. It only feels like it has happened a ton because Trump committed so many impeachable offenses.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Let's see.

If by "this," you mean "the constant need to find equivalency where none actually exists," I'd agree.

Neither side operates purely in good faith. One side spends MUCH more time in the bad faith sandbox than the other. That is simply the truth. And pretending otherwise, especially when you're not a mark - it's not great.
Equivalency doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is overuse/misuse/lack of teeth in it. As I said, waste of time and resources. God forbid we do something about the border, gas prices, inflation, or the power grid. Let's play gotcha games.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:22 pm

It's happened just three times in recent history. It only feels like it has happened a ton because Trump committed so many impeachable offenses.
Three times in less than thirty years is why it feels like a ton.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:30 pm

Equivalency doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is overuse/misuse/lack of teeth in it. As I said, waste of time and resources. God forbid we do something about the border, gas prices, inflation, or the power grid. Let's play gotcha games.
I agree that the current House of Reps has much better things to do than gotcha games impeachments of Biden over something that is already being looked into.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:44 pm

I agree that the current House of Reps has much better things to do than gotcha games impeachments of Biden over something that is already being looked into.
And there you have it. We agree on something.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I hope you aren't about to repeat that false republican trope about the how gasoline prices would be lower today if Biden hadn't cancelled the Keystone pipeline, again?

...Expanding the Keystone would have increased global oil production by less than 1%, an amount, they explained, is "almost negligible."

"I can see why people make that connection," Nemet said."But in terms of gasoline prices and global oil prices, it's just something it's better to just ignore because it would have no impact."

More production, but higher costs for Americans

Even if the pipeline was already built, it wouldn't help with the price at the pump, Nemet added, noting that the U.S. has already doubled its oil production over the last 15 years. "And yet, we still have $100 per barrel oil."

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:56 pm

I hope you aren't about to repeat that false republican trope about the how gasoline prices would be lower today if Biden hadn't cancelled the Keystone pipeline, again?

...Expanding the Keystone would have increased global oil production by less than 1%, an amount, they explained, is "almost negligible."

"I can see why people make that connection," Nemet said."But in terms of gasoline prices and global oil prices, it's just something it's better to just ignore because it would have no impact."

More production, but higher costs for Americans

Even if the pipeline was already built, it wouldn't help with the price at the pump, Nemet added, noting that the U.S. has already doubled its oil production over the last 15 years. "And yet, we still have $100 per barrel oil."

[...]
Wouldn't dream of it. Lack of refineries/refinery capacity is a major cause. The pipeline doesn't help, but, ultimately, lack of refineries and the pipe dream of electric cars are the problem.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ultimately our travel and consumer patterns are the problem
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?