Tucker Carlson

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Tucker Carlson

Post by ousdahl »

Do you think his wife called in tears cuz Jerry died, or just cuz she realized she’s married to Tucker Carlson?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm betting most people wouldn't see tucker as a dead head
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

And that’s a testament to the power of the Dead’s music.

I know they’re hit or miss and can kinda suck a lot of the time too, but…name one other force in this universe that can evoke an actual human moment outta someone like Tucker.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:17 am Do you think his wife called in tears cuz Jerry died, or just cuz she realized she’s married to Tucker Carlson?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:31 am I'm betting most people wouldn't see tucker as a dead head
Nope, but I'm betting most people see him as a dick head. Of course plenty don't. Which I have a difficult time understanding.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 am Yea.

I know they’re hit or miss and can kinda suck a lot of the time too, but…name one other force in this universe that can evoke an actual human moment outta someone like Tucker.
I honestly don't get the fascination with The Dead. Their music is silly nonsense. Maybe it sounds better if you're high? One of the reasons I can't listen to Bill Walton call games is that he keeps wandering off into discourses about Jerry Garcia and The Dead.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:04 am

I honestly don't get the fascination with The Dead. Their music is silly nonsense. Maybe it sounds better if you're high? One of the reasons I can't listen to Bill Walton call games is that he keeps wandering off into discourses about Jerry Garcia and The Dead.
If you don't like their music and it and feel it is "silly nonsense", so be it.

One HUGE thing about the Grateful Dead is that a Dead "show" was about a lot more than just the music.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:09 am

One HUGE thing about the Grateful Dead is that a Dead "show" was about a lot more than just the music.
Can you elaborate? Sincerely trying to understand.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Both sound better high, yes (Dead and Walton)
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:30 am

I could go on for a long time but I will spare you and offer you probably a still too long rambling of thoughts.....

I'll preface this by saying, the first time I went to see the Grateful Dead I had no idea there was much more to experience than just the music. I showed up with my buddy about an hour before the show, we walked in the venue, we sat on the lawn, I fell asleep for a few minutes during the music. I didn't "get" it.

The next time I saw them perform I was with a group of friends. It was a great bonding weekend.
We were at Alpine Valley. We mingled among what I considered to be many original Dead heads. Hippies. It was the early 1980s so the transformation was beginning from the California hippie culture following to what would become the educated successful yuppie generation of Dead Heads.
We walked around the parking lot. A LOT of "tailgating". We experienced what is now referred to as Shake Down Street. What I can best describe as an open market of people selling items mostly related to the Grateful Dead. People buying, selling, trading, food, drugs, shirts, stickers, hand made art, etc.
Even though I was vastly different than the majority of the people there I still was welcomed and felt a part of the community.
As others describe being at a show (including the "scene" and not just the music) - it is a positive vibe. Great energy. Love, unity, belonging. Before you assume a lot of that is drug related, sure it is but I have attended many shows 100% sober and felt the same thing/s.
Not easy to describe to someone with out them experiencing it for themselves.

Through the years I learned and experienced that there is such a large "catalog" of Grateful Dead music that ANYONE and EVERYONE can find something they enjoy. Heck, I will never forget driving to Sandwhich Illinois with mother when she was in her late 70s and I played a the first set of a Grateful Dead show on the car stereo and she was hooked. As she said, "this is nothing like what I imagined the Grateful Dead would be. The music makes me happy and feel good". I cant be 100% sure but I am very confident she was not under the influence of any drugs.
Sure, there are some Grateful Dead songs I don't care for - and some that are among my favorites songs of ALL musicians.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:55 am
JKLivin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:30 am

I could go on for a long time but I will spare you and offer you probably a still too long rambling of thoughts.....

I'll preface this by saying, the first time I went to see the Grateful Dead I had no idea there was much more to experience than just the music. I showed up with my buddy about an hour before the show, we walked in the venue, we sat on the lawn, I fell asleep for a few minutes during the music. I didn't "get" it.

The next time I saw them perform I was with a group of friends. It was a great bonding weekend.
We were at Alpine Valley. We mingled among what I considered to be many original Dead heads. Hippies. It was the early 1980s so the transformation was beginning from the California hippie culture following to what would become the educated successful yuppie generation of Dead Heads.
We walked around the parking lot. A LOT of "tailgating". We experienced what is now referred to as Shake Down Street. What I can best describe as an open market of people selling items mostly related to the Grateful Dead. People buying, selling, trading, food, drugs, shirts, stickers, hand made art, etc.
Even though I was vastly different than the majority of the people there I still was welcomed and felt a part of the community.
As others describe being at a show (including the "scene" and not just the music) - it is a positive vibe. Great energy. Love, unity, belonging. Before you assume a lot of that is drug related, sure it is but I have attended many shows 100% sober and felt the same thing/s.
Not easy to describe to someone with out them experiencing it for themselves.

Through the years I learned and experienced that there is such a large "catalog" of Grateful Dead music that ANYONE and EVERYONE can find something they enjoy. Heck, I will never forget driving to Sandwhich Illinois with mother when she was in her late 70s and I played a the first set of a Grateful Dead show on the car stereo and she was hooked. As she said, "this is nothing like what I imagined the Grateful Dead would be. The music makes me happy and feel good". I cant be 100% sure but I am very confident she was not under the influence of any drugs.
Sure, there are some Grateful Dead songs I don't care for - and some that are among my favorites songs of ALL musicians.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Weak Tot Action

With "small government", "law and order", "conservative" republicans having devolved into a Christo-Fascist, Putin-enabling, insurrection and chaos-promoting cult of personality who've never met a book they wouldn't burn, a vote they wouldn't suppress, a peaceful transfer of power they wouldn't attempt to stop, or a pregnancy they're unwilling to force upon a woman against her will even if she was raped by a stranger, her grandfather, father, or brother, at times it can be difficult to view the glass as half full, and avoid descending into cynicism.

But, when I need something to give me hope, to buoy my spirits, to sustain and bring me back from the edge as a "shining light on the hill", if you will, I think about the gift America recently received when Fox News and especially Tucker Carlson were revealed as the greedy, hypocritical, duplicitous, abscess of dishonesty they are resulting in Tucker going from the conspiracy-promoting ultimate republican power-broker being mentioned as a possible future republican candidate for president, to the sequestered, neutered, comparatively insignificant host of what amounts to a podcast on X attended only by his cultists. When you think about Tucker going from dominating the "conservative" media ecosystem that every republican candidate and politician lived in mortal fear of being on the wrong side of, to Alex Jones with a coat and tie, it's cause for hope, and happiness.

Tucker is so desperate for attention these days, he recently revived the long-ago debunked story by Larry Sinclair, who alleged he had had sex with Obama and smoked crack with him. (Of course, Randy ate it up.)

“You’re the only person on this set who’s had sex with Barack Obama,” Carlson said to Sinclair at one point.

Lol
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JK - As I often say, to each their own. If you don't enjoy it, someone else doesn't enjoy it, cool. I am sure there are things you get enjoyment from that I probably wouldn't enjoy.

Moving back to Tucker.....
I don't like the man. Meanwhile, I figure he and I could find something else other than the Grateful Dead that we share in common and enjoy - and have a respectful conversation regarding.
It's unfortunate we live in a world where many people tend to focus more on our differences than our similarities.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:41 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:31 am I'm betting most people wouldn't see tucker as a dead head
Nope, but I'm betting most people see him as a dick head. Of course plenty don't. Which I have a difficult time understanding.
Just liberals. Tucker actually is one the most popular political analysts ever. So a lot of people like him, the people that don't care about politics don't care either way, and then you are your lib buddies don't like him

But that just shows he's doing a good job
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I feel like to really appreciate the dead for just their music you need to play guitar or something. The dead could really play, and have a special connection to music. If you have that connection to you can get it.

As far as singing goes they were nothing special. If you just wanna listen to lyrics and not really connect with the art of music the dead probably aren't for you
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Biden used to ride the train every day to Congress. He really has never had a whole lot of luxury. He has always eschewed even the appearance of favoritism (see Clarence Thomas hearings). But Russia looked around and found Hunter and thought it could exploit his life choices. Biden, compared to even the mildly mainstream republicans, is a saint. When he vapes and gets frisky with his seat mates, let me know. Or foments an insurrection. Or flees a storm for Mexico. Or has spurred an insurrection after he signed a deal for Biden Tower Moscow.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:58 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:41 am
Just liberals. Tucker actually is one the most popular political analysts ever. So a lot of people like him, the people that don't care about politics don't care either way, and then you are your lib buddies don't like him

But that just shows he's doing a good job
I know people who aren't Libs who dislike him. I know people who are Libs and tolerate him.
I agree, Carlson is very popular and a whole lot of people like him. I also believe Carlson is very unpopular and a lot of people don't like him. Both can be and probably are true.
I agree he's doing a good job.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And now that I think about it. Pretty sure Tucker was also the dood who sold shrooms to beav at the Phish show
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Nobody with working brain cells likes Tucker. Even his family.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I loved watching Tucker whenever he went face to face with John Stewart and the latter pantsed him continually.