Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://x.com/danwetzel/status/17041320 ... PzNG4aOfKQ
Athletic Directors are again meeting with U.S. Senators today to beg for legislation because NIL and transfers are "destroying" college football.

Yet there is competitive parity, record ratings and soaring revenue, led by a coach - Prime - who fully embraces NIL and transfers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There are a ton of BWW Chad's out there.
More than i thought.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I believe Pollard.
It's well past the point where KU would get in trouble.
I think he came to Kansas for a lot of the reasons described in this thread ( the reasons against professional sports with school mascots ). Go back and find em. It's all in there.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Probably so (to pdub’s post two up).

And it would be foolish to say that NIL is the 1:1 cause of parity in college football.

But I think people are refreshed by college football looking like something other than Alabama and…. And I think one of the inevitabilities of NIL was that it would weaken the inherent advantages of established, traditional powers - powers that can no longer squeeze out competition by way of the facilities arms race.

Of course, we (as to this particular bored) ARE an established, traditional power. One that has historically squeezed out competition by way of the facilities arms race.

I feel a little foolish myself for NOT assuming that Bill would master this recruiting paradigm, just as he mastered the last one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was very confident Bill would crush this next wave.
I very much think he knew how to get the upper echelon players the things they wanted and kept it far enough away from himself so to avoid direct penalty.
That hit a snag when the NCAA saw through it ( but went after us harder than other more protected programs ).

Now he doesn't need to do that and our boosters/program has cash to spend to get the dudes he wants.
We likely won't get outspent for the best dudes so then once that priority is met, guys will weigh the secondary options, which ( i believe some former KU guys ) happen to be what landed a lot of guys before Self got here ( and many of the unheralded guys too ).

We have the money.
And we have the program.
We are the Dodgers of college basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:23 am I was very confident Bill would crush this next wave.
I very much think he knew how to get the upper echelon players the things they wanted and kept it far enough away from himself so to avoid direct penalty.
That hit a snag when the NCAA saw through it ( but went after us harder than other more protected programs ).

Now he doesn't need to do that and our boosters/program has cash to spend to get the dudes he wants.
We likely won't get outspent for the best dudes so then once that priority is met, guys will weigh the secondary options, which ( i believe some former KU guys ) happen to be what landed a lot of guys before Self got here ( and many of the unheralded guys too ).

We have the money.
And we have the program.
We are the Dodgers of college basketball.
Something like that, yeah. Still amuses me that my kids will be close to having kids of their own by the time they need to digest a world where KU and the Chiefs don’t both have GOATs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: “Alabama and,” and “more protected programs,” before NIL it could be theorized that NIL would concentrate the wealth.

But, it seems to have had an opposite effect, of more parity than less.

I guess it’s cuz now everyone CAN benefit from their NIL, rather than the selective enforcement that was so rampant prior.

The Bamas in football and the Dooks in hoops seemed crooked as much as/more than ever, yet the ncaa kept bringing the hammer down on everybody else.

That kinda seems like some fanboy conspiracy tho. But, where there’s smoke there’s fire, right? And it just seems fishy that Dook started getting like the top 1,2,3,4,5 recruits in every class for several years straight (and UK for several years straight before that), when it just never really happened that way before.

And yea, bama as something mortal makes college football so much more fun. You gotta figure even Saban himself is wondering if selling his soul to the devil was worth it now.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And re: facilities, I wonder how many recruits were/are impressed by the facilities in and of themselves and that’s that, or just by the “look how much we afford you” that the facilities generally represent
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And re: BWW Chad, yea most fans are pretty casual.

Die hard fans are actually pretty rare.

And the “I only enjoy this if I can still pretend these are amateurs” fans are sort of very specifically anomalous
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ain't my money. so what do i care if rich dudes want to pay young kids even more than they used to.

i remember when collegiate athletics was awesome. nobody under a certain age can make that claim.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Something like that, yeah. Still amuses me that my kids will be close to having kids of their own by the time they need to digest a world where KU and the Chiefs don’t both have GOATs.
[/quote]

Even more amazing, I was 16 the last time Kansas didn't have a Hall of Fame coach. And I am not young.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also amazing. KU has had the same number of coaches elected to college basketball hall of fame as haven't. And one that hasn't invented the game.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

re: Coach 'Prime'.

I have had a mostly ewww thought process regarding what he did at CU. After watching his bit on 60 minutes, that perception has changed, for now. I still think the process is ewww, but taking at face value that he is being 'brutally honest' with the kids that were there and those coming, I have respect, in principle, the philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8PSWeRLGXs
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also: Ousdahl. Sanders needs a Fly Fishing instructor. Opportunity knocks. Just sayin'.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:53 am Also amazing. KU has had the same number of coaches elected to college basketball hall of fame as haven't. And one that hasn't invented the game.
Wait - James Naismith isn't in the Naismith Hall of Fame?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:32 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:53 am Also amazing. KU has had the same number of coaches elected to college basketball hall of fame as haven't. And one that hasn't invented the game.
Wait - James Naismith isn't in the Naismith Hall of Fame?
not as a coach.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I guess that's what you get for losing to the Topeka YMCA
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:40 am I guess that's what you get for losing to the Topeka YMCA
Fred Phelps was a baller back in the day.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:45 am
mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:40 am I guess that's what you get for losing to the Topeka YMCA
Fred Phelps was a baller back in the day.
Hahaha