We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:56 am The Deep State is coming for…the Dilbert guy.

https://twitter.com/eve6/status/1703267 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
No kidding Scott, because you're so ___ing special, they're out to get YOU.

Which is a point I've made here before to our resident conspiracy theorists, but not often enough. It's exactly the same with my younger, anti-vax, siblings.

Pro tip: Nobody's out to "get" you, because frankly, nobody gives a ___ about you.

From the 3rd comment below your link:

Gets at the heart of a lot of highly polarized & conspiracy minded stuff: the need to feel special.

Some might enjoy this talk about the spectrum of narcissism

(Full disclosure: I didn't avail myself of the info at the link, because emotionally-stunted, infantile narcissists, already waste too much of my time.)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:13 am
Imagine the right-wing SEX PANIC!!! if this was AOC and a boyfriend...or, god-save-the-queen, a gay Democrat man and his boyfriend.
I don't have to imagine, given this thread, do I?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:13 am
Imagine the right-wing SEX PANIC!!! if this was AOC and a boyfriend...or, god-save-the-queen, a gay Democrat man and his boyfriend.
I don't have to imagine, given this thread, do I?
^^^

For close to 5 decades, we've been watching pious republicans claim exclusivity to being "The Moral Majority" in every aspect of American life. And now, those same, better-than-thou republicans, have morphed into a party of out-of-the-closet Christo-Fascists. So, you'll have to excuse us for taking glee in watching one after another republican hypocrite revealed as guilty of the very same behavior they've been damning so vociferously, ("Drag Queens" anyone?), wasting every American's time with culture war bullshit, instead of pursuing policies that make the lives of everyday Americans, better.

Grow up republicans, America needs you.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

LOL
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Is this tweet - from Sunday, September 17 in the year of our lord 2023 - parody?

https://x.com/emeriticus/status/1703571 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
People are upset about Trump throwing the pro-life crowd under the bus. That’s understandable. But there’s something more fundamental here that more and more people are starting to understand: Trump does not believe in anything. He has no grounding. He cares about nothing but himself. It’s not even about social conservatism because, as president, he did this on immigration, crime, gun control, etc. It’s about a movement led by a guy who has absolutely no loyalty to anyone but himself—who believes in nothing higher than self-preservation. There is no meaningful opposition to the left for as long as Trump and his hangers-on are in charge of the GOP.
This tone reminds me of Bart Simpson’s after selling his soul to buy a comic book.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:36 am Is this tweet - from Sunday, September 17 in the year of our lord 2023 - parody?

https://x.com/emeriticus/status/1703571 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
People are upset about Trump throwing the pro-life crowd under the bus. That’s understandable. But there’s something more fundamental here that more and more people are starting to understand: Trump does not believe in anything. He has no grounding. He cares about nothing but himself. It’s not even about social conservatism because, as president, he did this on immigration, crime, gun control, etc. It’s about a movement led by a guy who has absolutely no loyalty to anyone but himself—who believes in nothing higher than self-preservation. There is no meaningful opposition to the left for as long as Trump and his hangers-on are in charge of the GOP.
This tone reminds me of Bart Simpson’s after selling his soul to buy a comic book.
When it comes to transactional-Donnie's view on abortion, Trump donating $175,000 more to democrats than republicans from 1989-2010, i.e., until he began his multi-year, racist "Birther" campaign,/slander of Obama that launched his political career and made him the darling of the racist sedition party, might have been a tell*.

*Except, we all saw that he had a religious, "pro-life" conversion, so, there is that...
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

He did wave around an upside down bible, so there's that.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:41 am He did wave around an upside down bible, so there's that.
I was at that church a few weeks ago!

Literally across the street from the church (which is also across the street from the White House), there’s office space held by the Texas real estate development company owned by Thomas’ sugar daddy. Weird!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Trump's favorite Bible verse is Sarah Palin's--All of them. But Acts. Really gets into those.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ah, so The Defendant’s vanity is the original sin of anti-masking stupidity.

https://twitter.com/rschooley/status/17 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:09 am Ah, so The Defendant’s vanity is the original sin of anti-masking stupidity.

I wish that was harder to believe.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the leader of the republican party. The party of Lincoln.
You must be so proud!

From Cassidy Hutchins new book:

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:27 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:09 am Ah, so The Defendant’s vanity is the original sin of anti-masking stupidity.

I wish that was harder to believe.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the leader of the republican party. The party of Lincoln.
You must be so proud!

From Cassidy Hutchins new book:

Looking forward to imminent confirmation of the efficacy of Russia/far-right disinformation.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Hey, y'all. Because it's football season, I was thinking of Leawood and his loyalty as a fan. Thought I'd come by and say that I was extremely critical of some of the KU athletic head guys of the past and their selections of football coaches. But....I find it good of them that none ever hired Tubberville, or seemed to even consider him. Rock Chalk.
Don't inject Lysol.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

seahawk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:32 pm Hey, y'all. Because it's football season, I was thinking of Leawood and his loyalty as a fan. Thought I'd come by and say that I was extremely critical of some of the KU athletic head guys of the past and their selections of football coaches. But....I find it good of them that none ever hired Tubberville, or seemed to even consider him. Rock Chalk.
Amen
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hey, Sea…glad you dropped by
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I don't seek this guy out even tho he has content I usually agree with, because I often find his earnestness off-putting:

That being said, this is very illustrative of the cognitive dissonance* and cultish behavior of too many Americans:

Trump supporters are interviewed at Donald Trump's various campaign events in Iowa

*Not that I expect people to be "one issue" voters, but still...
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

More than half of Republicans see former President Donald Trump as a person of faith, putting him ahead of more vocally religious figures like his former vice president, Mike Pence, according to a new national poll conducted by HarrisX for the Deseret News.

Registered voters were asked whether they considered a list of political figures people of faith. Trump rose to the top of the list for Republicans, while President Joe Biden topped the list for Democrats. Among independents, Sen. Mitt Romney was most likely to be chosen as a person of faith.

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 am More than half of Republicans see former President Donald Trump as a person of faith, putting him ahead of more vocally religious figures like his former vice president, Mike Pence, according to a new national poll conducted by HarrisX for the Deseret News.

Registered voters were asked whether they considered a list of political figures people of faith. Trump rose to the top of the list for Republicans, while President Joe Biden topped the list for Democrats. Among independents, Sen. Mitt Romney was most likely to be chosen as a person of faith.

:lol:
I can’t think of a better argument for complete separation of church and state than the rube masses holding up The Defendant as a paragon of a faith-based lifestyle.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s absurd, really