Term limits

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Term limits

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:31 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:19 pm How are the people arguing for pure meritocracy also supporting term limits and age limits?
I think you are misunderstanding pure libertarianism. Which, as we all know, means "no rules for me, but people who want what I want make rules covering people who don't want what I want, and those other people have to follow the rules."
"There's no more satisfying irony in the world than watching a part-time libertarian scream for help."
Scott Galloway, Prof G.

The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank runs deeper than risk management or regulation. There is an increasing cohort of tech leaders who have morphed from Americans to agents of chaos.

'...What could have prevented the collapse? What is obvious is there does not appear to be a J.P. Morgan figure in the Valley with the leadership, citizenship, and sense of sacrifice to cauterize a contagion. There was, however, a group of venture capitalists working behind the scenes, quietly with our leaders, to figure out a solution. No all caps, no posing for the algorithms — just responsible people working around the clock because they saw themselves as part of the solution. Several hundred VC firms signed a letter committing to keeping their business with SVB, intended to make the asset more attractive to an acquirer.

More interesting than who signed the letter was who didn’t. In sum, venture capital firms that have a vested interest in destabilizing the banking system and the dollar, via crypto investments, have morphed from Americans to agents of chaos. I believe Marc Andreessen or Peter Thiel could have stopped the run with one tweet. They chose not to....
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Re: Term limits

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:31 pm
mjl2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:19 pm How are the people arguing for pure meritocracy also supporting term limits and age limits?
I think you are misunderstanding pure libertarianism. Which, as we all know, means "no rules for me, but people who want what I want make rules covering people who don't want what I want, and those other people have to follow the rules."
I read somewhere that a good way to enhance effectiveness of our legislators and decrease the influence of lobbyists is to rethink the way we apportion our Representatives. This means truly equal representation.

Currently the total number of Representatives is set and there is significant disparities in number of people represented by one Representative about 2:1 at the extreme). Instead, if we take the least populous district (RI- 1st) with around 550k people and set that as a target for one district then we should have about 600 Representatives. This would accomplish two things: firstly it would give fair representation and secondly it would make it that much harder to buy off legislators.

BTW, we already have term limits. It’s commonly known as an Election.