Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Sparko »

Japh: taxidermy Jesus. Just not random enough.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:20 pm Japh: taxidermy Jesus. Just not random enough.
I'm old enough to remember when japhy was edgy.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:33 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:20 pm Japh: taxidermy Jesus. Just not random enough.
I'm old enough to remember when japhy was edgy.
LOL!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So my buddy’s dad plays music. He hosts all these jam sessions in his basement. He even got a kegerator to add to the vibe.

But, he randomly got rid of the kegerator, cuz he said he was tired of everybody drinking his beer.

Umm bro doesn’t that kinda come with the territory?

If it were me, I’d just have fun with it. Especially at that point in life - retired, divorced, well-off, little social life beyond hosting the jams. Who cares if you share some beers with some buddies? I don’t think they were exactly floating the keg every night, either.

Or, worst case, just ask the guys to throw in a few bucks for the keg. Dunno why that’s an issue either.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Maybe you should bring the beer as an offering for your ability to use his place to play.

Or yknow, you could just bitch and moan and complain because yet another person in life has fucked you by not doing enough to make your life easier.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually, I've never been over there.

but yea, I generally try to be generous, and give more than I take with these sorts of things.

and yea, speaking of bitch and moan...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Why?
I hear/read a lot of opinions why but unless they come directly from the looters and they are being honest, I don't accept the assumed reason/s.

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-lootin ... /13832625/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

This isn't totally random as there is a long historic pattern of this happening in the Empire. If Dexter had been a landlocked serial killer, we think he would have been a frequent traveler through the San Luis Valley.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/remains-foun ... 33894.html

I don't know where she was found, but I do know the County Coroner so I will ask next time we run into him riding down Worth Street on his trike. He will have some deets.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

stain matching is a lost art...how come Noone can do it accurately anymore?

my guess? because the computer doesn't give you a formula and you have to actually understand what your colors are doing and none of the old timers are around to remember how to do anything without the computer spitting out numbers to them

it's frustrating and sad.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:16 pm stain matching is a lost art...how come Noone can do it accurately anymore?

my guess? because the computer doesn't give you a formula and you have to actually understand what your colors are doing and none of the old timers are around to remember how to do anything without the computer spitting out numbers to them

I'm working on a residence built in the 1840's right now. On the first visit I was walking around with the architects and everyone was talking about the beautiful pine woodwork. Most everything in the place is unpainted pine. After looking closely for a couple of minutes II noted out loud that the wood isn't pine, it is stained with pine graining. I pointed out the spot where you could tell. We looked at every other piece of wood in the place, same thing. It is beautifully done. Thee doors are mortised and the grain changes on the mortises. Above the third floor there is a tall tower that leads to a widow's walk that is missing its railing. Must be damn near 80 feet in the air. None of the Contractor's will stand up on top. The three level staircase inside the tower which was always sort of private space, and the third floor servants quarters are all stained to show pine grain as well. Damnedest thing any of us have seen and we all work on this type of building all over the country.

There was an attempt to use some sort of software to analyze the stain and get colors. Not successful. They are bringing a guy, I've never worked with him before. Another old guy. He is renown for being able to match stain. Does it by sight, and mixes it up right there on the job site I am told. It will be interesting to see how this goes. My guess is that he is expensive and hard to get on a project. This thing is probably $2M project when it's all said and done (whole building not the stain repair). They intend to touch up the graining where it is damaged. A labor of love for the new owner. I don't try and justify these things, I am just there to help them spend the money without anyone getting injured.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

japhy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:32 am
TDub wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:16 pm stain matching is a lost art...how come Noone can do it accurately anymore?

I'm working on a residence built in the 1840's right now. On the first visit I was walking around with the architects and everyone was talking about the beautiful pine woodwork. Most everything in the place is unpainted pine. After looking closely for a couple of minutes II noted out loud that the wood isn't pine, it is stained with pine graining. I pointed out the spot where you could tell. We looked at every other piece of wood in the place, same thing. It is beautifully done. Thee doors are mortised and the grain changes on the mortises. Above the third floor there is a tall tower that leads to a widow's walk that is missing its railing. Must be damn near 80 feet in the air. None of the Contractor's will stand up on top. The three level staircase inside the tower which was always sort of private space, and the third floor servants quarters are all stained to show pine grain as well. Damnedest thing any of us have seen and we all work on this type of building all over the country.

There was an attempt to use some sort of software to analyze the stain and get colors. Not successful. They are bringing a guy, I've never worked with him before. Another old guy. He is renown for being able to match stain. Does it by sight, and mixes it up right there on the job site I am told. It will be interesting to see how this goes. My guess is that he is expensive and hard to get on a project. This thing is probably $2M project when it's all said and done (whole building not the stain repair). They intend to touch up the graining where it is damaged. A labor of love for the new owner. I don't try and justify these things, I am just there to help them spend the money without anyone getting injured.
thats awesome. I like that stuff.

I've got a building reno coming down the pipe that was built in 1884. The upstairs is all original and hasn't been in use since 1954 supposedly. It's beautiful woodwork. It still has coal chutes in each apartment and all the appliances and heating is/was (but wont be) coal fired or wood fired.

We aren't restoring it entirely per historical registry standards but we are getting as close as we can within the budget and time constraints. It will be a slow but fun process that hopefully is also profitable. The contract will be large (for my small company) and I should do ok but those old buildings can really eat up manhours trying to get things correctly represented.

We used a guy when I was in Seattle that all he did was match stains in those old buildings. He was phenomenonal...he was also very expensive and about 80. I'm sure he's not around anymore.

The stain I had custom matched on this residence turned out orange like UT longhorn orange. It was supposed to be like a red oak ish color. Terrible. They kept trying to add browns and blacks but couldn't get rid of the orange. When I suggested a few drops of green to counteract the orange they looked at me like I had 3 eyes. I'm not a color matching guy and don't claim to be but I thought the green/orange offsetting capability was fairly common knowledge.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A stain matching fan deck,
https://restorativewoodproducts.com/products/fan-deck
This is how I roll.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Two people victims of an "armed robbery" in front of my building at 4:30am this morning.
That's life in the big city kids. Happy Sunday!
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:17 am Two people victims of an "armed robbery" in front of my building at 4:30am this morning.
Very sorry to hear that Gutter.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:45 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:17 am Two people victims of an "armed robbery" in front of my building at 4:30am this morning.
Very sorry to hear that Gutter.
I'm sorry for them.
I went downstairs because an hour or so later (around 5:30am) I looked out my window and saw a car in front of our building that had been pulling forward and backing up and then pulling forward and backing up again. It's a one way street.
I didn't assume anything. Security went outside and the person claimed they were picking someone up.
Two girls got off the elevator and I told them I don't mean to frighten them but that there had been an "armed robbery" in front of the building about an hour earlier and if they were walking somewhere they should be alert and aware. Turns out one of the girls was the one the guy in the car was picking up.

The security guy is new. I told him there typically isn't anything inside the building to worry about but in the past year and a half there was a shooting right in front of the building and there have been multiple shootings within a 4 block radius. It's insane to me. In my 15 years of living in the building it's never been close to as bad as it's been the past couple of years.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

He won't be worth a s*** tonight. 😉