Question for the Bored

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Question for the Bored

Post by jhawks99 »

Our backyard ends where the Minnesota jungle begins. The dood who owns the property behind us lets everything grow wild. We're putting in a fence and I've cleared it about 3 feet back all along our property line.

There are still about three large limbs that overhang our yard. Too high for me to trim. Mrs. 99 found a 20 something year old guy who says he'll do it for cheap if he can keep the wood. He says he'll just climb up and whack off the limbs with his chain saw.

I'm a little worried. I don't want this kid hurting himself and I don't wanna get sued if he does. Can I have him sign a waiver? Would that hold up if he chops off a foot or falls out of the tree? It would be nice to have the trees trimmed before the fence goes in in two weeks. But I dunno.

Opinions.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Question for the Bored

Post by Sparko »

Get a bonded tree guy. Or a guy bound atrium.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it'll be fine. Let him do it.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m with TDub
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm leaning that way. I'm a bit worried though.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

5 and one bonus question/s for the person asking the question...
I'll preface the questions by saying, of course I am not mentally well.

1. If the trees are on you neighbor's property but hang over your property do you "legally" need to ask the neighbor if you can cut his/her trees?
2. If the neighbor's trees hang over your property, does the neighbor bear any "legal" responsibility to financially assist in the cutting of the limbs?
3. Two parter.
a) Assuming you have a male neighbor and he has a fairly attractive wife, if you invited the neighbor and his wife over for a BBQ dinner and the wife asked you if you have any cheese to put on the BBQ, would you tell her yes (ONLY because she's attractive)?
b) If they offered to reciprocate on the dinner by inviting you and your wife to attend a 6ix9ine concert with them would you accept?
4. If you were forced to go to a Vikings, TWolves, or Twins game and sit on a tree stump for the entire game, which team's game would you choose to attend?
5. Whoever cuts the branches/limbs, If they said they were taking a lunch break, and then started to take the branches/limbs and make wood crosses on your property that they engraved KKK on, and tossed them in the corner of your backyard, would you fire the person?

Bonus question. If you hire the 20 something year old and he cuts the branches/limbs and God forbid he fell and died, and his family asked you if they could use 3 trees on YOUR property to make a casket for him, would you tell the family ok - or no?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1) I looked that up. I am supposed to ask permission. I have cut back all the limbs/vines/brush I can reach, he hasn't said anything. Our neighbors have asked him to remove large, dead trees that look like they could fall on his fence/house and he has refused. They have taken it up with the city but as of yer, there is no resolution.

2) I don't know, I think it's all his responsibility. I'm not waiting or asking though.

3) a) My neighbor does have an attractive wife. They are very nice people. I'd cringe and get her some cheese, regardless of her appearance.

b) Is that a band? If not, Mrs. 99 and I aren't into that sort of thing.

c) Break up with her.

4) Twins playoff game tonight.

5) Yes, but he wants to take the wood home for the fireplace.

Bonus. WTF Gutter. I have three trees, One large maple, one very small maple and a small blue spruce. They could have them.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:14 am 1) I looked that up. I am supposed to ask permission. I have cut back all the limbs/vines/brush I can reach, he hasn't said anything. Our neighbors have asked him to remove large, dead trees that look like they could fall on his fence/house and he has refused. They have taken it up with the city but as of yer, there is no resolution.
So in another thread I discussed a similar situation with my younger brother.
His neighbors tree has dropped branches into his yard twice and damaged his fence both times.

If you or your neighbors are seriously concerned and want to protect yourselves, and don't really have a good relationship with your neighbor to where if a tree damaged your property you know they wouldn't pay, you should have an arborist come on site and determine whether the tree is dying and in danger of damaging your/their property - and if it is, have him write a letter saying so. Make a copy for yourself. Then send a certified letter to your neighbor stating that any future damage will not be considered an 'act of God' because of the arborist's assessment.

My little brother did this and now has a strong case in small claims if the tree does anymore damage.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:44 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:14 am 1) I looked that up. I am supposed to ask permission. I have cut back all the limbs/vines/brush I can reach, he hasn't said anything. Our neighbors have asked him to remove large, dead trees that look like they could fall on his fence/house and he has refused. They have taken it up with the city but as of yer, there is no resolution.
His neighbors tree has dropped branches into his yard twice and damaged his fence both times.

If you or your neighbors are seriously concerned and want to protect yourselves, and don't really have a good relationship with your neighbor to where if a tree damaged your property you know they wouldn't pay, you should have an arborist come on site and determine whether the tree is dying and in danger of damaging your/their property - and if it is, have him write a letter saying so. Make a copy for yourself. Then send a certified letter to your neighbor stating that any future damage will not be considered an 'act of God' because of the arborist's assessment.

My little brother did this and now has a strong case in small claims if the tree does anymore damage.
You sound like someone who slept with a lawyer once.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if it hangs into your property cut the motherfucker.

Lawyers be damned.

let the kid cut it. He'll do fine.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:01 am if it hangs into your property cut the motherfucker.

Lawyers be damned.

let the kid cut it. He'll do fine.
I'm leaning this way.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am

I have twice but with two different lawyers.
One of them might have been pre-law though, so maybe not, I don't recall exactly.
NYC 2014-15 was kinda wild.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:20 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am

I have twice but with two different lawyers.
One of them might have been pre-law though, so maybe not, I don't recall exactly.
NYC 2014-15 was kinda wild.
Wow, what a slut.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
It was a slut phase.
Maybe I should have slept with an arborist with insurance so she could help 99 out.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:34 am Yes.
It was a slut phase.
Maybe I should have slept with an arborist with insurance so she could help 99 out.
I was single for 10 years while going to med school and during my residency. Having not dated for 10 years prior to that, discovering how much more forward women in their late 20's and early 30's are about letting you know they're interested was something I wouldn't trade for almost anything.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Update. We hired the kid and he came out on Sunday.

Before he got here, I cut the grass and removed some busted up cement from the back yard. The neighbor was out there with what I think was a tree guy. I waved and tried to introduce myself but this dude didn't seem to want to talk. I said, "I gotta guy coming by today and we're going to trim some of these trees back so I can get the fence put in. Do you have a problem with that?" He said something about the fence line but never did answer my question. Which I took as permission. He was a weird dude.

Anyhoo, we cut down two trees. Trimmed some higher branches (Mrs. 99 told him not to when she saw what we were doing) and basically cleared out a whole buncha stuff.

My next door neighbor came by to ask if the guy I hired was the owner of the jungle. I told him what PDub's brother did, he said that sounded like a great idea and went off to find an aborist.

No one got hurt. Dude is supposed to pick up some brush but haven't heard from him since Sunday. I got his rake as ransom.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Who knew that a guy bound atrium would be the actual answer?