Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Ugh.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Sadly, These Are Not Serious People

Post by japhy »

“Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex.” ― Frank Zappa
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:46 pm lol…doesn’t look like the house is even going to be able to grant temp. power to mchenry
I think this situation is good for the country in the long term. Hopefully, people will come to understand that this incarnation of the Republican Party must (proverbially) die for there to be any hope for the future. Perhaps the current metastasis of the cancer currently known as MAGA is the one that does it.

One can be hopeful?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Welcome to being opposed to MAGA, republicans. (Fascist assholes.)

CNN has obtained exclusive audio of a threatening voice message to the wife of a republican congressman who opposes Jim Jordan's bid for House speaker.

Terrifying voicemail left for GOP lawmaker's wife over Jim Jordan vote
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Jordan is having another vote for speaker this morning.

I'll give you two-to-one odds that he'll get even fewer votes this time, than he did the first two times.

Why isn't losing embarrassing anymore?

-Their districts are so safely gerrymandered, they don't have to worry?

-It's so important to generate eyes in the media, that even embarrassing news is better than none?

-Does anyone think if he is the Speaker, he'll certify the election of a democrat and not Trump in Jan 25?

-WTF?
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:41 am Jordan is having another vote for speaker this morning.

I'll give you two-to-one odds that he'll get even fewer votes this time, than he did the first two times.

Why isn't losing embarrassing anymore?

-Their districts are so safely gerrymandered, they don't have to worry?

-It's so important to generate eyes in the media, that even embarrassing news is better than none?

-Does anyone think if he is the Speaker, he'll certify the election of a democrat and not Trump in Jan 25?

-WTF?
This is what happens when the business of governing is a tertiary consideration at best.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Nobody hates as well as Jordan. Important to be on TV emphasizing it. Performative nihilism. Which is sad.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

strike 3

even more losses of votes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:02 am strike 3

I read that this slow bleed was planned.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:40 am

orealy?

i just heard a take akin to zsn’s, that this is starting to show signs that the pubs who got MAGA’d are fed up with being under the shroud trumpism…we shall see
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:40 am

orealy?

i just heard a take akin to zsn’s, that this is starting to show signs that the pubs who got MAGA’d are fed up with being under the shroud trumpism…we shall see
Yeah, can't track it down at the moment, but the rumor for a few days now is that the Jordan NOs were staggering themselves so as to create a softening of support ballot-by-ballot. Anti-momentum.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Couldn't happen to a bigger asshole
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

According to NBC: Jordan drops out of speaker race.

Now what, children?
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

More than 60 Rs voted against Jordan under cover of anonymity than were willing to attach their name to it in floor voting.

I do NOT think that that delta exclusively represents political concerns. I am sad that it's going to take something very horrific - and even then, only maybe! - to get people to understand how goddamn dangerous the fringe right is.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:37 pm More than 60 Rs voted against Jordan under cover of anonymity than were willing to attach their name to it in floor voting.

I do NOT think that that delta exclusively represents political concerns. I am sad that it's going to take something very horrific - and even then, only maybe! - to get people to understand how goddamn dangerous the fringe right is.
WAPO: After a secret vote in the House Republican Caucus ordering Jordan to stand aside as candidate for Speaker, Matt Gaetz erupted, “The most popular Republican in Congress was just knifed by a secret ballot in a private meeting in a basement. It’s as swampy as it gets”

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Have you bothered to look at the fine specimens of humanity republicans have put forth as their possible future speaker?

Not one of them voted to ensure a woman's right to contraception.
Not one of them voted to Ban Wage Discrimination on the basis of sex.
Only one voted to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
Only one voted in favor of codifying same-sex & interracial marriage.

Emmer has become the nominee, but he still doesn't have 217 votes, and several of the ~ 20 who voted against him in a roll call vote say he's "too liberal", including voting to certify Biden's 2020 presidential win.

God help us.

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:42 pm Have you bothered to look at the fine specimens of humanity republicans have put forth as their possible future speaker?

Not one of them voted to ensure a woman's right to contraception.
Not one of them voted to Ban Wage Discrimination on the basis of sex.
Only one voted to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
Only one voted in favor of codifying same-sex & interracial marriage.

Emmer has become the nominee, but he still doesn't have 217 votes, and several of the ~ 20 who voted against him in a roll call vote say he's "too liberal", including voting to certify Biden's 2020 presidential win.

God help us.

You are making the case against the Ds offering Emmer a lifeline.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

They know him better than I do, but after Trump came out against him last week he called and groveled to Trump this weekend, according to Trump.

That being said, holding out for an alternative in that group of fascists could likely make things worse, or end up getting democrats blamed for the lack of a speaker. (Not that republlcians aren't blaming them already.)

And let's not kid ourselves, once republicans do finally come up with a speaker, the threats to shut the government down, the Biden impeachment, obsession with Hunter, et al, will be back up to speed, in no time.
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

For the good of the country some of the moderate Democrats should help out the pathetic Republicans. Offer to vote for a Republican that they can live with. This embarrassing stupidity has risen to a higher level.
I don’t know how far it can go. If the Dems don’t help out the hapless Republicans then they should share some of the responsibility.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i was with you until the last point

this clusterfuck is solely on the pubs, willingly embracing the extremes of their party…the same extremes they’re now hostage to

dems bailing out doesn’t fix the problem. it only puts a bandaid on a symptom
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

not having a speaker hasn't affected/effected my life one iota.