Contributor

Re: Kansas Football 2023 Season

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:55 am
JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:45 am
pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 am

Eyetest!
Arm chair quarterback/psychologist!
My older son played college football at a P5 conference school. Over the course of his career, he had three shoulder surgeries and one knee surgery, all done after seasons were over with. From the time preseason started until well after the season was over, he was hurting - as was every other member of the team. His shoulders would dislocate on a regular basis doing simple things like pushups or pass blocking, and he would have trouble sleeping because of the pain in his knees.

I remember asking him once why he didn't just tell the coaches he was done for the season and have the surgery before things wrapped up for the year, especially considering that he spent his time behind two different guys on the depth chart who are now starting in the NFL.

He didn't even pause when he said "Dad, the school is paying for my education, my room, and my meals. I owe it to them and the rest of the team to be in practice and ready to play if at all possible." He also never missed a single practice or workout session.

Imagine being that loyal without thousands of dollars in NIL money coming in. He finished with a 3.8 GPA and is at the top of his class in grad school now. Good kid.

I'll leave it at that.
What does this have to do with Jason Bean?
I bet your son never had a game like Jason Bean against competition like Oklahoma State.
It was in reference to Jalon Daniels. I don't blame Jason Bean for being who he is.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Daniels injury is a disc rupture and he's not playing through it, fine, you have a point.

But we don't know if it's a career/life/movement endangering issue -- Peyton Manning played through a spine so fucked up that he had it fused and had experimental treatment done on it -- Peyton Manning is a rabid professional who values his glory over his body.

If Daniels has a back problem similar to that I don't blame him for sitting through it.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 am If Daniels injury is a disc rupture and he's not playing through it, fine, you have a point.

But we don't know if it's a career/life/movement endangering issue -- Peyton Manning played through a spine so fucked up that he had it fused and had experimental treatment done on it -- Peyton Manning is a rabid professional who values his glory over his body.

If Daniels has a back problem similar to that I don't blame him for sitting through it.
I don't disagree with any of that. The only area of disagreement that you and I seem to have is the current squad's chances of a good season without Daniels at QB.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And that you can tell, by watching numerically one of the best games in the last 14 years, that Jason Bean isn't a good leader and has a defeatist attitude.

Perhaps if the defense had positively visualized themselves as dominant, successful leaders, they wouldn't have allowed 550+ yards of offense.

I will bet that we will win over 6.5 games this season even if Daniels doesn't return at QB.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:20 am And that you can tell, by watching numerically one of the best games in the last 14 years, that Jason Bean isn't a good leader and has a defeatist attitude.

Perhaps if the defense had positively visualized themselves as dominant, successful leaders, they wouldn't have allowed 550+ yards of offense.

I will bet that we will win over 6.5 games this season even if Daniels doesn't return at QB.
I hope you're right.

My metric of a good season would be a) winning 7+ games and b) beating KSUck. Anything over and above that is gravy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's a fair base.

Mine is slightly more reasonable ( as ksu is top 25 team in terms of quality despite the AP - I think they'd beat no. 16 MIZZOU on a neutral field ) - win 6+ games in the regular season and win the bowl game.
That would put us at more wins that last season which to me, after our history, is good.

I think our best shots are v Tech and @ Cincy.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

It’s really important that we understand that not only is a Psych a badass, his spawn are equally as formidable.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

*yawn*
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am That's a fair base.

Mine is slightly more reasonable ( as ksu is top 25 team in terms of quality despite the AP - I think they'd beat no. 16 MIZZOU on a neutral field ) - win 6+ games in the regular season and win the bowl game.
That would put us at more wins that last season which to me, after our history, is good.

I think our best shots are v Tech and @ Cincy.
We have come so far already.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:51 am Overlander, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

*yawn*
You post these often.
You would not do this, if you didn't know that you are referenced.
You are reading these posts.
And, once again, you are pathetic.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Overlander, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

*yawn*
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am It’s really important that we understand that not only is a Psych a badass, his spawn are equally as formidable.
we should all aspire to reach such heights
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:29 am
Overlander wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am It’s really important that we understand that not only is a Psych a badass, his spawn are equally as formidable.
we should all aspire to reach such heights
Superior genetics, to be sure.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Midweek cunt fest! Alright!

I doubt we get more than 6 regular season wins at current trajectory. I agree, Pdub, that both Tech and Cinci are our two best chances for wins. I would love to get a signature win against OU or KState, but just don’t see it quite yet. Hope I’m proven wrong.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kansas got to play UT and OU until their ignominious exit. This year was going to be a challenge.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’m glad both are on schedule this yearS.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 am If Daniels injury is a disc rupture and he's not playing through it, fine, you have a point.

If I misunderstand you, I apologize. But, I find this statement:
pdub wrote:1. "If Daniels injury is a disc rupture and he's not playing through it, fine, you have a point."
inconsistent with your earlier statement: (Which I agree with, assuming "disc rupture" = "herniated disc".)
pdub wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:45 am 2. Believe it or not, a large population of us have herniated discs and don’t know it.
Statement 2 acknowledges that having a herniated/ruptured disc is not one thing, it's a spectrum of severities. That is, some ruptured discs are asymptomatic, some are symptomatic but can be played through, and some cannot, no matter how much want to the player might have.

And while it's totally possible Daniels might be malingering, we have no evidence I'm aware of that he is. IMO, he's a Jayhawk so he deserves the benefit of the doubt, until he doesn't.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t see an inconsistency.
If he has a herniated disc he should be able to play through it.
It is an injury that I think is played up to support billions of dollars of surgeries.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:56 pm I don’t see an inconsistency.
It is an injury that I think is played up to support billions of dollars of surgeries.
Your personal opinion and experience notwithstanding, you have no idea what you're talking about.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

pdub wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:56 pm I don’t see an inconsistency.
Dr. John Sarno would agree with you.