Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: 2024

Post by MICHHAWK »

never heard of moms4liberty. maybe they are made up by the propaganda machine.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Your mother4liberty, Mich.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm involved. i ask my first born grandbaby everyday. "did some teacher talk perverted business to you today"

i'm involved. and i wanna know.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:23 pm The teacher's union may be the only thing keeping education functional in the midst of constant attacks by Mothers for Fascism and other Christian Nationalists with axes to grind.
…and voters to groom. Certainly ONE strategy, when forced to confront the deep unpopularity of your platform, is to get to ‘em younger and younger.

Which, AGAIN, is not to minimize the sensitivity of these issues and the highly nuanced problems they present, for parents and educators and communities. Of course, Momz4Liberty and so on don’t actually give a shit about that.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:41 am If my kid thinks he or she might be trans, I damn well better know about it, especially if some counselor I don't even know is calling them by a name different than the one I gave them and talking to them about transitioning their sex. That's not "far right" in my book, it's just being an informed parent.
If you were an "informed parent" you would know about your kid's orientation questions before the school counselor.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 pm
JKLivin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:41 am If my kid thinks he or she might be trans, I damn well better know about it, especially if some counselor I don't even know is calling them by a name different than the one I gave them and talking to them about transitioning their sex. That's not "far right" in my book, it's just being an informed parent.
If you were an "informed parent" you would know about your kid's orientation questions before the school counselor.
No.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:23 pm The teacher's union may be the only thing keeping education functional in the midst of constant attacks by Mothers for Fascism and other Christian Nationalists with axes to grind.
Define "functional," 'cause if it means proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics, then it is not even close.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Which sort of gets at the heart of the issue, right? If a teenager comes to their teacher and says they’re afraid to talk to their parents about sexual orientation…the teacher should have an absolute obligation to tell the parents?

There isn’t an easy answer here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:41 am
Meh. I'd be curious about the definition of "far right". Is it really unreasonable not to want grade school kids to be taught about intersectionality, or even sexuality in general, without their parents' permission? I don't have a problem with schools wanting to address the issues, but I want the opportunity to opt my kid out if I so choose. I was teaching a grad seminar last week with a group of student interns in the school systems, and I was shocked at how much the schools hide from parents about the discussions counselors and teachers have with students about their sexuality. If my kid thinks he or she might be trans, I damn well better know about it, especially if some counselor I don't even know is calling them by a name different than the one I gave them and talking to them about transitioning their sex. That's not "far right" in my book, it's just being an informed parent.
Kids are their own living entity and should not be required to tell their parents everything. If they want you to know about something, they will tell you. It is not your right to know everything about them. It is not in the Constitution as some unassailable right as a US citizen. They are not your property and you do not have domain over their every thought.

Children need to have an outlet to discuss things outside of their relationship with their parents. Parents have total control over every facet of their existence and happiness. The basics of their lives are provided by their parents; food, water, shelter, their schooling, their activities, their access to friends, their hobbies, their interests. EVERYTHING. So I do not blame a child for not wanting to tell a parent something that they fear might not be received well as they may feel that it puts everything in their lives at risk. They have to have some other outlet for their issues where they feel they can speak freely about things without putting everything they hold dear at risk.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:00 pm
Which sort of gets at the heart of the issue, right? If a teenager comes to their teacher and says they’re afraid to talk to their parents about sexual orientation…the teacher should have an absolute obligation to tell the parents?

Yes, there is. The answer is "no, we do not need to tell parents about your thoughts and feelings. We only need to tell them if you are being put in danger or being harmed/abused."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:20 pm

Yes, there is. The answer is "no, we do not need to tell parents about your thoughts and feelings. We only need to tell them if you are being put in danger or being harmed/abused."
I think it’s more complicated than that. But, I also feel like (generally) the parents that kids are afraid of telling…are the parents whose existence supports your view.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:28 pm

I think it’s more complicated than that. But, I also feel like (generally) the parents that kids are afraid of telling…are the parents whose existence supports your view.
Obviously everything is "more complicated" than a two line response on a message board. But in general, we do not need to tell parents about every conversation a kid has, even if they are about sensitive topics. Should a counselor require permission before beginning some sort of therapy or treatment? Yes, in my opinion all forms of treatment for your kids, be it for physical, mental or medical reasons, should be cleared through a parent prior to starting. But parents don't need to know EVERYTHING. They have no right to that.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Manchin not running for reelection to the senate.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:44 pm Manchin not running for reelection to the senate.
Perhaps he is perceiving an opening for his true calling.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:46 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:44 pm Manchin not running for reelection to the senate.
Perhaps he is perceiving an opening for his true calling.
He was going to loose anyway, but now he plans to "tour the country"" and talk to people about what they want...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:36 pm

Obviously everything is "more complicated" than a two line response on a message board. But in general, we do not need to tell parents about every conversation a kid has, even if they are about sensitive topics. Should a counselor require permission before beginning some sort of therapy or treatment? Yes, in my opinion all forms of treatment for your kids, be it for physical, mental or medical reasons, should be cleared through a parent prior to starting. But parents don't need to know EVERYTHING. They have no right to that.
I much more agree than disagree. I also think, MICH’s reductive alliteration notwithstanding, one of the whole POINTS of school is for kids to transition (oops) from relying on their parents for everything, into a position of near-self-sufficiency. That very much INCLUDES learning how to, with help, become advocates for their own well-being.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Rubes, rubes, everywhere are rubes!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:49 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:36 pm

I much more agree than disagree. I also think, MICH’s reductive alliteration notwithstanding, one of the whole POINTS of school is for kids to transition (oops) from relying on their parents for everything, into a position of near-self-sufficiency. That very much INCLUDES learning how to, with help, become advocates for their own well-being.
100% agree with that. It's critical to make your kids voice their own needs, thoughts and concerns. Too many kids have helicopter parents who speak for them and do everything for them and when they find themselves responsible for themselves they find they aren't up for the task. With how self-conscious kids are, having a safe space with some expectation of privacy is crucial.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:18 pm
Meh. I'd be curious about the definition of "far right". Is it really unreasonable not to want grade school kids to be taught about intersectionality, or even sexuality in general, without their parents' permission? I don't have a problem with schools wanting to address the issues, but I want the opportunity to opt my kid out if I so choose. I was teaching a grad seminar last week with a group of student interns in the school systems, and I was shocked at how much the schools hide from parents about the discussions counselors and teachers have with students about their sexuality. If my kid thinks he or she might be trans, I damn well better know about it, especially if some counselor I don't even know is calling them by a name different than the one I gave them and talking to them about transitioning their sex. That's not "far right" in my book, it's just being an informed parent.
Kids are their own living entity and should not be required to tell their parents everything. If they want you to know about something, they will tell you. It is not your right to know everything about them. It is not in the Constitution as some unassailable right as a US citizen. They are not your property and you do not have domain over their every thought.

Children need to have an outlet to discuss things outside of their relationship with their parents. Parents have total control over every facet of their existence and happiness. The basics of their lives are provided by their parents; food, water, shelter, their schooling, their activities, their access to friends, their hobbies, their interests. EVERYTHING. So I do not blame a child for not wanting to tell a parent something that they fear might not be received well as they may feel that it puts everything in their lives at risk. They have to have some other outlet for their issues where they feel they can speak freely about things without putting everything they hold dear at risk.
Confidentiality laws in Kansas state that a minor does not have a legal right to confidentiality from a legal guardian prior to age 16. They are similar in other states. I didn’t make the law.

There are limits to your confidentiality, too, via Duty to Warn laws. Is that a violation of your Constitutional rights?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:17 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:18 pm

Confidentiality laws in Kansas state that a minor does not have a legal right to confidentiality from a legal guardian prior to age 16. They are similar in other states. I didn’t make the law.

There are limits to your confidentiality, too, via Duty to Warn laws. Is that a violation of your Constitutional rights?
You're mixing concepts here.

A legal right to confidentiality (for the discloser) is not the same thing as a legal duty to report (for the recipient).

By using the former as an opening to expand the latter, you are removing the reasoned, circumstance-dependent discretion of teachers/coaches/etc from the equation. That, I do not support (in the context of a teenager telling a teacher/coach that they think they're gay or a frog or whatever).

As a parent, I am grateful that - I hope that - my kids have strong teachers/coaches/aunts/uncles/cousins that they feel they can tell things they do not feel comfortable telling me. I do not WANT to be the exclusive influence on my kids. I'm plenty flawed, and my kids absolutely NEED outlets that aren't me.