Craigslist

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: Craigslist

Post by DrPepper »

I bought a car, private sale, on CraigsList. I'm pretty sure I gave a play-by-play here (or the previous board). It was about 3 hours away. It has been 7.5 years, and I am still driving it. I anticipate any future car purchase will be private sale, so it might be CraigsList. We met at an independent mechanic of my choosing. The following weekend we met at a bank branch to exchange title and keys for money (in the safe surroundings of people and cameras. I didn't ask and the bank didn't care. The small town with non-existent lines at the DMV for tags was really nice.
I did things in public and thought my chances of bodily harm and financial loss were greater if I went to a car lot.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So this chick offers $800 for a guitar.

I say if she can do $800 cash then the guitar is hers, where you wanna meet?

She freaks out, says no way she’s carrying around $800 cash, and ghosts me even faster than the tinder thread.

What I don’t get is, how is carrying around $800 cash any riskier than carrying around an $800 guitar?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Hi, I’m interested in your fishing rod. I realize your asking price is already more than a half donut off retail for a like-new item, but I was wondering what the absolute rock-bottom price you’re willing to offer me would be? Also, I live 3 hours away from you, so are you willing to deliver this liquidation-priced item I already expect you to discount even further?”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so, no and no. seems like a simple answer. Boom, easy. move on.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well duh.

I was more amused by the fact they thought it’s worth both aggressively haggling AND expecting long distance delivery.

as if I owe some Craigslist rando a favor.

I replied, “I’ll be in Denver for something else anyway tomorrow (about a half donut in between) and willing to meet there if you are too. I’ll give you $20 off just for asking, but please realize my asking price is already discounted. I’ll discount further if you come my way.”

They replied that they’re a looser who can’t finish a whole donut in one sitting, and their favorite basketball players are the good keeds with no ink.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

why is everything with you either
A. super complicated for you, just handle it or don't.
B. An opportunity to make terrible attempts at jokes.

or, both. Im guessing that's why some people just assume your stories are all bullshit.
Just Ledoux it
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I dislike all CL, FB, etc responses to posts that start one of many ways:

1. This would great in my classroom of...
2. I'm a single mother of ___ with ___
3. Recovering addict who needs _____

bah.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: 2., bro you sure you aren’t actually just on the tinder thread?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Nah man. This lady I dated in Colorado long ago (before I met my wife)...she actually used the first 2 of these reasons ad nauseum. Was gross. I mean, she wasn't lying in essence, but as to the purpose of many items repurpose, it was not influenced by these factors. Manipulative bullshit.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:49 pm why is everything with you either
A. super complicated for you, just handle it or don't.
B. An opportunity to make terrible attempts at jokes.

or, both. Im guessing that's why some people just assume your stories are all bullshit.
yes is probably the answer to all choices. Also, though, it's his schtick. Sometimes it is funny, and sometimes it's Ousdahl (ooze:dull)