Uncle Joe

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:03 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:29 am except:

Thursday's report on the nation's gross domestic product — the economy's total output of goods and services — showed that consumers drove the acceleration, ramping up their spending on everything from cars to restaurant meals. Even though the painful inflation of the past two years has soured many people's view of the economy, millions have remained willing to splurge on vacations, concert tickets and sports events.

seems like i’ve been saying this for months…Americans writ large have decided they don’t care; they’re going to keep spending regardless
I agree thats the general trend. It'll don't think it's a good thing long term though. We're gonna have some serious problems in 20 or 30 years when we're all in need of retirement and health services that nobody can afford.
it’s definitely not a good thing long-term for individuals

‘muricans in general don’t save enough, and when coupled with 1) social security solvency issues, and 2) our broken healthcare system, it seems there is definitely reason to worry

but, it also seems like a major reason for the lack of a full on recession…at least thus far
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:11 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:29 am except:

Thursday's report on the nation's gross domestic product — the economy's total output of goods and services — showed that consumers drove the acceleration, ramping up their spending on everything from cars to restaurant meals. Even though the painful inflation of the past two years has soured many people's view of the economy, millions have remained willing to splurge on vacations, concert tickets and sports events.

seems like i’ve been saying this for months…Americans writ large have decided they don’t care; they’re going to keep spending regardless
I agree thats the general trend. It'll don't think it's a good thing long term though. We're gonna have some serious problems in 20 or 30 years when we're all in need of retirement and health services that nobody can afford.

‘muricans in general don’t save enough, and when coupled with 1) social security solvency issues, and 2) our broken healthcare system, it seems there is definitely reason to worry

but, it also seems like a major reason for the lack of a full on recession…at least thus far
I think it falls into the "bread and circuses" category

that or....what I've heard a lot lately is "fuck it, we're already broke and depressed and the world's in chaos
..might as well have fun while we can and spend whatever money we got because why not?"

I'm not sure which is more concerning.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:18 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:11 am

I think it falls into the "bread and circuses" category

that or....what I've heard a lot lately is "fuck it, we're already broke and depressed and the world's in chaos
..might as well have fun while we can and spend whatever money we got because why not?"

I'm not sure which is more concerning.
The problem of wage stagnation was allowed to fester too long because we exported jobs to import cheap goods. It is important to prioritize wages and bring back manufacturing and endure some cost of living hikes. Reminding me of the 80s. I had to decide what I wanted to do without as a young adult in Kansas.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gasoline prices in the US are down for the 8th week in a row, with the average price of a gallon < $3.00 in 11 states, and the futures market suggests there is another 10% cut in prices to come.

Thanks, Joe!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:07 am Gasoline prices in the US are down for the 8th week in a row, with the average price of a gallon < $3.00 in 11 states, and the futures market suggests there is another 10% cut in prices to come.

Thanks, Joe!
we've been over this.

Fuel prices always drop in the fall as travel slows and demand eases.

Also, I dream of having those "average prices" around me.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i would love to get excited about that. as i love cheap gas. but. since i live in the real world where gas is no where near $3.00/gallon. i won't be able to.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

gas is $4.57 here as of yesterday
Just Ledoux it
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:35 am gas is $4.57 here as of yesterday
Shirley says it, thus, it is true. Your high gas prices are just your imagination.

And if you don't believe him, he can supply nineteen YouTube videos to back it up.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

$2.93 in SLC
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:35 am gas is $4.57 here as of yesterday
It was $2.89 on my drive from Lawrence back to Omaha yesterday.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

there are 13 active users on this forum. it is remarkable that all the cheap gas. in the entire nation. is exactly where you live. when you think about it. it's a miracle.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:21 am there are 13 active users on this forum. it is remarkable that all the cheap gas. in the entire nation. is exactly where you live. when you think about it. it's a miracle.
it’s remarkable your this dumb

google it yourself, dipshit
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:21 am there are 13 active users on this forum. it is remarkable that all the cheap gas. in the entire nation. is exactly where you live. when you think about it. it's a miracle.
It is truly miraculous.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the dumb is contagious
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(I think the phrase you’re both (MICH and JK) looking for, here on this message board that primarily comprises supporters of Kansas basketball, is “selection bias”.)
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:20 pm (I think the phrase you’re both (MICH and JK) looking for, here on this message board that primarily comprises supporters of Kansas basketball, is “selection bias”.)
Perhaps. What I find myself coming back to over and over again as I reflect on how this country has devolved over the past three years into an almost unrecognizable husk of itself is that at least there are no more mean tweets or unkind remarks being made to the White House Press Corps. Small price to pay for the devolution of our culture and the loss of our standard of living.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:20 pm (I think the phrase you’re both (MICH and JK) looking for, here on this message board that primarily comprises supporters of Kansas basketball, is “selection bias”.)
Perhaps. What I find myself coming back to over and over again as I reflect on how this country has devolved over the past three years into an almost unrecognizable husk of itself is that at least there are no more mean tweets or unkind remarks being made to the White House Press Corps. Small price to pay for the devolution of our culture and the loss of our standard of living.
And it’s here that I have a very hard time seeing how you get to this conclusion based on purely unemotional, objective criteria. From my point of view, I do not see how anyone could look at Biden’s results and rationally conclude that we’d be better off with four more years of Trump.

And I will call a spade a spade: I will admit that I think anyone coming at this from a “2020 was rigged” angle is not coming at any of this rationally.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I also think that even this lens - what’s best for the country in 2024-2028 - grossly downplays the very obvious long-term signaling coming out of the Trump camp. He does not want to Make America Great Again. He wants to make America a better-resourced, better-armed Hungary.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gasoline prices are really down. The free market does its thing elsewhere too. Russia holding on in Ukraine with T-55s and human waves trying to make everything worse is a special moment in cruelty. Be ready for some seismic changes in the Russian far east.