parental rights vs…

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

parental rights vs…

Post by KUTradition »

medical recommendation, in this particular case

Oregon Mom Who Treated Daughter’s Cancer With CBD Oil Found Guilty of Mistreatment

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2023/11 ... utType=amp
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Re: parental rights vs…

Post by DeletedUser »

Wtf. People are nuts.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I can't imagine doing that to a kid, watching that happen to a kid.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If the child hadn't been a ward of the state, I wonder if the vast reservoir of lay people who know better than the physicians treating her wouldn't have reacted more aggressively? We think of Oregon as being a "liberal" state, but there is a strong faction of people there who don't like being told what to do. (I rewrote that last part several times, and I'm still not sure it conveys what I meant.)

Speaking more broadly, having a miner involved made it incumbent on the state and physicians to do whatever it took to get her the treatment she needed. But, if it were an adult and they acted like that, eventually I would have dismissed them from my practice. The doctor/patient relationship is built on trust, and once the patient demonstrates they don't trust your medical judgement, it doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong, but I would send them a registered letter informing them I would take care of them for 30 more days while they looked for another physician they trusted to handle their medical affairs.

It sounds cold, but in today's litigious society, it's necessary.

Full disclosure: I was never sued for malpractice, praise be to Allah.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:28 pm If the child hadn't been a ward of the state, I wonder if the vast reservoir of lay people who know better than the physicians treating her wouldn't have reacted more aggressively? We think of Oregon as being a "liberal" state, but there is a strong faction of people there who don't like being told what to do. (I rewrote that last part several times, and I'm still not sure it conveys what I meant.)

Speaking more broadly, having a miner involved made it incumbent on the state and physicians to do whatever it took to get her the treatment she needed. But, if it were an adult and they acted like that, eventually I would have dismissed them from my practice. The doctor/patient relationship is built on trust, and once the patient demonstrates they don't trust your medical judgement, it doesn't mean they're necessarily wrong, but I would send them a registered letter informing them I would take care of them for 30 more days while they looked for another physician they trusted to handle their medical affairs.

It sounds cold, but in today's litigious society, it's necessary.

Full disclosure: I was never sued for malpractice, praise be to Allah.
there are highly populated, small (land area wise), and highly publicized portions of Oregon that are very very liberal.

There are large swaths of Oregon that are, not. Everything east of the cascades, most areas south of Eugene, and most of the areas 30 mins or so west of I-5 are not real liberal and fairly anti government.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

see: bundy family
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:13 am see: bundy family
They, of course, were in the back of my mind when I posted that.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas