the Red Power movement

Post by Deleted User 89 »

KUTradition
Contributor

Re: the Red Power movement

Post by KUTradition »

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/10/11/us ... -columbus/

The United States Must Reckon With Its Own Genocides

i have it on good authority that in some of KC’s limestone caves sit boxes upon boxes of data on the indigenous children sent to assimilation boarding schools across the US

…Hundreds of thousands of Indigenous children passed through, or died in, these schools between 1869 and the 1970s, until the passing of the Indian Child Welfare Act in 1978 finally allowed Native American parents to legally deny their children’s placement in these schools.

While these kinds of policies were tragically typical of colonial states during the 19th century, they are squarely in contravention of the 1948 Genocide Convention, and thus they meet the standing legal definition of genocide in international law. At least between 1948 to 1978, the United States was not just morally, but also legally responsible for the crime of genocide against its own people.

The 1948 Genocide Convention specifically includes in its definition of genocide the separation of children from families with the intention to destroy the identity of a group, in part or in whole. To the extent to which the boarding schools were specifically designed to “kill the Indian, save the man,” their assimilationist ambitions were explicitly genocidal...

imo, the US can both reckon with its own troubled history on this and other issues, while at the same time work globally to ensure that such things no longer happen (Canada is doing so currently)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Have you seen Killers of the Flower Moon yet?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:04 am Have you seen Killers of the Flower Moon yet?
not yet (but it’s at the top of my list)…haven’t had a 3-hour block to commit
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good bump!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real, this might be they/them’s favorite thread.

For instance!

If you think “from the river to the sea” is scary, then next let’s do,

“…from sea to shining sea.”
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Got 'em!
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

oh goodie…q is gonna shit all over this thread too
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:15 am oh goodie…q is gonna shit all over this thread too
It's not his fault. Cauliflower crust has that effect on people...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:14 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:15 am oh goodie…q is gonna shit all over this thread too
It's not his fault.
it never is....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I blame our original, colonialist sins.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sorry you guys.

I honestly don’t mean to shit all over this thread, not any other.

But the fact of the matter is, if we really wanna reckon with our own genocides, it’s gonna require us to collectively confront some truths that are awkward, uncomfortable, and - yes - shitty.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

And this is why I don't always mention to the natives that I was sent by God to the Empire.

https://www.pioneer.org/blogs/compass-s ... -genocide/
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:08 pm And this is why I don't always mention to the natives that I was sent by God to the Empire.

https://www.pioneer.org/blogs/compass-s ... -genocide/
thanks for that, Japhy

tangentially, many don’t realize or appreciate the trickle-down effect of the colonization of North America. “tribes” were pushed further and further west if they weren’t wiped out completely. the Dakota/Lakota peoples weren’t originally from the Black Hills, but were pushed into that area by settlers and the strife that came with them

kill the indian, save the man

or something…
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If you were at Crimson/Blue Fest you met some of these people and saw one of these places. Eric Carpio was at the Spud Lounge for the Bryant's feast, and we got to see Ron Rael print adobe and the Ute Agency Compound. Chip will hopefully make it for Solstice 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmHrSJLI6w
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Having been to WA and the Olympic peninsula a couple times now, I was impressed with the native presence still there. The far western corner of the US, it was the last holdout for indigenous peoples, and saw relatively less displacement.

That said, it still saw displacement, and there’s a weird dynamic cuz of it. My friend was organizing some event for his company and reached out to the local tribe to ask if they’d support and sponsor the event.

The tribe replied, we’ll sponsor your event if you give back our ancestral land on which your business is built.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:04 pm
The tribe replied, we’ll sponsor your event if you give back our ancestral land on which your business is built.
Seems fair
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The work of Kent Monkman is an interesting perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... atrocities

The work at the Met is pretty funny.

https://www.metmuseum.org/perspectives/ ... -testickle
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »