Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:10 pm He didn’t really play wing at KU or in the NBA but I could be wrong but im definitely not.
I get your point (at how he was used at KU and whether or not stretch 4s are considered wings).

Marcus is listed as SF or PF/SF in 7 of his 13 seasons in the NBA by basketball reference.

I think we can sort of combine some of the 2s 3s and 4s at KU, of certain types, when we compare and contrast. Especially because some of it, at KU, is dictated by the surrounding personnel.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There’s no doubt McCullar is exactly what we hoped he’d be.

Randy isn’t wrong — he’s playing like a stud and if he keeps this up should be an All American…though I’d say 2nd. Could turn out to be a Dotson Dok situation unfortunately.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

19/7/5 and shooting well

Hunter’s 19/12/2 and shooting even better
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hypothetical:

If KM gets 2nd Team AA, 1st team all big 12, wins a national title....should he go in the rafters?

Or if HD gets 1st team AA, big12 POY, FF Mop/National title...what about him in that scenario?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hunter Dickinson in the rafters would be like hanging Brought To You By Adidas over the National Titles banner.

So it’s probably gonna happen.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

trust in Self
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:00 pm Hunter Dickinson in the rafters would be like hanging a Brought To You By Adidas sign over the National Titles banner.

So it’s probably gonna happen.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

you shouldn't go in the rafters with only one season at Kansas. Regardless of stats. My opinion only of course. I'm sure I'll get told I'm wrong but, whatever.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You’re not wrong.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I agree 1 year doesn't deserve a jersey in the rafters. But let's say hypothetically hunter finishes the season with about the stats he has now.. 20/12 on 60%+ shooting. And he wins NPOY, leads us to a national championship and in named final 4 MOP

Can you really deny retiring that jersey?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 pm I agree 1 year doesn't deserve a jersey in the rafters. But let's say hypothetically hunter finishes the season with about the stats he has now.. 20/12 on 60%+ shooting. And he wins NPOY, leads us to a national championship and in named final 4 MOP

No - and I hope it happens so he can give the dub bros a big fuck you. ;)
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No, obviously you can’t with the way the general rules are for retiring jerseys. It would hang. Next to actual greats like TRob and Collison.

I wouldn’t retire a one year players jersey.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:44 pm Hypothetical:

If KM gets 2nd Team AA, 1st team all big 12, wins a national title....should he go in the rafters?

Or if HD gets 1st team AA, big12 POY, FF Mop/National title...what about him in that scenario?
1st Team AAs go in the rafters at AFH, 2nd team AAs don't. If McCullar was 2nd team AA and won FF MOP then yes, I believe he would.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 pm I agree 1 year doesn't deserve a jersey in the rafters. But let's say hypothetically hunter finishes the season with about the stats he has now.. 20/12 on 60%+ shooting. And he wins NPOY, leads us to a national championship and in named final 4 MOP

Anyone who wins NPoY at Kansas is going in the rafters no matter how many seasons he plays for KU. Anyone who wins FF MOP at Kansas is going in the rafters no matter how many seasons he plays for KU. If some ding dong who did nothing else goes on some insane 6 game heater to win FF MOP then maybe that's the exception to the rule.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if this were a 1-and-done frosh who grew up adoring KU (aka didn’t have HD’s backstory and NIL baggage), i doubt it’d be much of a serious debate at all
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I don’t feel good about raftering a guy who dropped by KU for a stop after playing several years for another team
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We'll see if KU makes some adjustments to their criteria the next few years in response to all the transfers. They have a pretty good sized backlog of jerseys to hang right now so we're several years away from them having to make a decision on guys that may accomplish something this season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KU is going to be in the business of recruiting the best transfers in the portal every year it seems. Some of us don't like it, but it's probably necessary to compete for titles in the current landscape of college bball.

If we're are able to regularly land "hunter Dickinson level transfers" every year or few years (which will probably be a goal to competitively bolster rosters), then at some point a one year transfer is going to meet the criteria for jersey retirement

Could be hunter this year or some future one year transfer in coming years
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

pdub wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:27 pm No, obviously you can’t with the way the general rules are for retiring jerseys. It would hang. Next to actual greats like TRob and Collison.

I wouldn’t retire a one year players jersey.
I know we argue a lot here, but I tend to agree with you on this point. It’s a KUBB HOF and I feel like 2+ years of excellence should be a minimum criterion. Maybe my opinion changes if he really checks every possible box this year, but he won’t, so it’s not all that relevant.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We have a banner for All Americans.
I'd have no issues at all for him going on that - still a pretty big accomplishment to get your name in the rafters forever.

Retired for me means you were a Jayhawk legend.
Sorry Hunter, you'll never be that in one year.