Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Welcome Dajuan Harris!!!!!!

Post by pdub »

Harris rules.
We won a title with him as the starting point.
He’s an upperclassman and probably will surprise us with his scoring this season.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:59 pm Harris rules.
We won a title with him as the starting point.
He’s an upperclassman and probably will surprise us with his scoring this season.
In today's era of CBB a player like DH is going to be increasingly rare. We should appreciate him while we have him.

DH has allowed us to have continuity throughout these last 3 years where we have had significant roster turnover.

I know it's nice the have NBA players at every position, but that's not realistic. And it's also been proven to not be the best way to maintain consistent success year in and year out in CBB.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’d rather sophomore Dotson or junior Frank, but he’s still a point that would start on 98 percent of D1 schools.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Looking around CBB, I have trouble coming up with 8-10 teams he wouldn't start for.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:42 pm Looking around CBB, I have trouble coming up with 8-10 teams he wouldn't start for.
are there any he wouldn't start for?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Best backup PG we’ve ever had.

(Saying this here and now cuz goddamn we gotta get some sorta guard play going now come on Juan and make me eat more crauw!)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

^^^

He's good, but...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang Shirley we should agree more often.

And, right after I posted this, our starting PG went to the bench, and we somehow got a wide open 3 out of it.

*shrug*
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man.

I felt kinda bad when i bumped this last. Was all gushered for UConn and all.

But, if I may make a Christmas wish or whatever…

Is it asking too much from Santa for Dajuan to average double digit scoring from here on out?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:50 pm Man.

Is it asking too much from Santa for Dajuan to average double digit scoring from here on out?
He's hurting us at this point, every time we're in halfcourt offense and he passes up an open 3 or a good look near the basket.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea. It sucks that opposing defenses basically gamble on him to not shoot, and he so often obliges. Can seem to muck up the entire offense.

And, on a purely quantitive level - since it appears we’re gonna play an awful lot of close games again this year, that extra couple buckets a game could be the difference between a lot more Ws, or more one or two possession Ls than we’d like.

And, come on. He’s a 5th year senior playing like 35 minutes a game. How is that kind of role still worth only 6ppg
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ah yes...because directly scoring is the only way to be judged on your impact to the game.

5 years of watching him and you still haven't really watched him.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 pm Yea. It sucks that opposing defenses basically gamble on him to not shoot, and he so often obliges. Can seem to muck up the entire offense.

And, on a purely quantitive level - since it appears we’re gonna play an awful lot of close games again this year, that extra couple buckets a game could be the difference between a lot more Ws, or more one or two possession Ls than we’d like.

And, come on. He’s a 5th year senior playing like 35 minutes a game. How is that kind of role still worth only 6ppg
Everything you just said is right.

I would add:

1 - the "muck up the entire offense" comment is really about future possessions; we need him to take good looks when he has them, SO THAT he has some gravity. That opens up everything else.

2 - not only does every possession matter (such that him passing up two easy points and then Hunter or KJ missing a bunny), but he ALSO needs to be comfortable scoring the damn ball close and late. Unless someone (Jackson) makes a big step forward, he's the ONLY guy we've got that can handle the fucking ball. So there's a GREAT chance that our best shot close and late will be one he can get.
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 pm He's hurting us at this point, every time we're in halfcourt offense and he passes up an open 3 or a good look near the basket.
This team has plenty of small issues, but this one looks pretty fixable to me. I get why he’s come into the year trying to play a more pure facilitator role, but I also think he’s a smart enough player that Self can get the best out of him.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:09 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 pm Yea. It sucks that opposing defenses basically gamble on him to not shoot, and he so often obliges. Can seem to muck up the entire offense.

I would add:

1 - the "muck up the entire offense" comment is really about future possessions; we need him to take good looks when he has them, SO THAT he has some gravity. That opens up everything else.

2 - not only does every possession matter (such that him passing up two easy points and then Hunter or KJ missing a bunny), but he ALSO needs to be comfortable scoring the damn ball close and late. Unless someone (Jackson) makes a big step forward, he's the ONLY guy we've got that can handle the fucking ball. So there's a GREAT chance that our best shot close and late will be one he can get.
Dajuan has been pretty damn clutch making shots at the end of close games the last 3 years or so. Going back to at Iowa st a few years ago all the way up to the incredibly critical and tough shots he hit at IU.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 pm

He's hurting us at this point, every time we're in halfcourt offense and he passes up an open 3 or a good look near the basket.
Maybe late in the shot clock it hurts us, but our primary goal each possession should be to get HD a shot.

DH doesn't need to take every single open shot. Neither does Elmarko. We have two All Americans on our team. I think the best option on offense is get them quality looks.

Also, defenses don't really ignore DH. That's a talking point that's not really based in reality at this point in his career. Going under ball screens is not ignoring. We have one of the most efficient offenses in the country, so this fantasy narrative that he clogs up our offense (any more so than Elmarko or Kj) also isn't rooted in reality. Our assist rate on made baskets is really good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:14 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:09 pm

I would add:

Dajuan has been pretty damn clutch making shots at the end of close games the last 3 years or so. Going back to at Iowa st a few years ago all the way up to the incredibly critical and tough shots he hit at IU.
I agree. But I'll be more comfortable going into March if Harris stops passing up open looks generally.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's pretty safe to say. oushdale was just chumming the waters when he dug this thread up.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Late in the game we want the ball in the hands of HD and KM. Not sure why we need DH to pretend he is Frank Devonte Sherron Etc. We have the personnel around him that allows him to be himself.

Maybe it's more comforting for some of you to have the PG be the go to scorer, but it's not a necessity. It's easier for a 7'2 guy to get a clean look.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:58 pm

Maybe late in the shot clock it hurts us, but our primary goal each possession should be to get HD a shot.

DH doesn't need to take every single open shot. Neither does Elmarko. We have two All Americans on our team. I think the best option on offense is get them quality looks.

Also, defenses don't really ignore DH. That's a talking point that's not really based in reality at this point in his career. Going under ball screens is not ignoring. We have one of the most efficient offenses in the country, so this fantasy narrative that he clogs up our offense (any more so than Elmarko or Kj) also isn't rooted in reality. Our assist rate on made baskets is really good.
I'd be fascinated by efficiency stats that are broken out by how much shot clock is left. Because, intuitively, it seems to me like DH passing up an open look gets "worse" the less time is left on the shot clock.

In other words, I should have less of a problem with it occurring with 0:25 left on the shot clock, than with 0:15 left, than with 0:05 left.

What I'm reacting to here is how goddamn stagnant we get in the halfcourt (which mostly comes down to us being, somehow, again, one shooter short).