Baseball

Other Sports.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Baseball

Post by Back2Lawrence »

But they don’t, from a business standpoint. You can argue their wealth all day, and it’s gotta be at gross levels of had to fuck people over to accumulate that much money to own a big 4 team…..but, for certain markets, it doesn’t make sense to spend that money, and is definitely not sustainable the way the system is set up.

I’m actually hoping the next MLB tv contract is WAY lower than the current one, and they sport is basically fucked.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"But they don’t, from a business standpoint."

B2L is correct here.
It'd be nice if all the owners saw MLB teams as a community thing and were willing to risk possibly loosing money to provide for a city ( and it's economy ) but that's not how these people think.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don’t know why we’re letting owners off the hook with this “don’t” stuff, which - in my opinion - assumes (to the owners’ benefit) the validity of a fundamentally busted excuse for cheapness.

Each team’s annual revenue from national TV and ad deals - before a ticket, a beer, a shirt or a local ad is sold - is in excess of $100mm.

With the exception only of ownership groups that have very recently chosen to play the game, all ownership groups are sitting on hundreds of millions, or more, in equity gains.

The money is there. For all teams, it is there.

In my opinion, it does not make sense to reward and further enrich the owners (on top of massive public money handouts we already give) by supporting a cap, especially when at best it is unclear that a cap would even solve the problems it would be “intended” to address.

That is why I would address the problems in a manner that more directly rewards trying to compete, and penalizes not trying to compete.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I remember when I learned that radio stations weren't really there to play music.

It was a bitter pill to swallow.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I remember when I learned radio stations played Rush Limbaugh and I wished there was no radio.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the best part of radio was and always will be Casey Kasem
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:40 pm the best part of radio was and always will be Casey Kasem
I'm more of a Vin Scully guy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So the Dodgers are the Empire from Star Wars now.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:31 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:40 pm the best part of radio was and always will be Casey Kasem
I know you were a Dodgers fan growing up.
One of my favorite memories of/in Dodger Stadium as a youngster was being able to listen to Scully's live radio call in the stadium in the concession areas.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:32 am So the Dodgers are the Empire from Star Wars now.
Yep. And they just spent another $325mm improving the Death Star by 2%.

Glad it ain’t my money (directly or, in terms of fanhood, indirectly).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:22 am
One of my favorite memories of/in Dodger Stadium as a youngster was being able to listen to Scully's live radio call in the stadium in the concession areas.
I grew up in apartments in the South Bay. Parking was usually subsurface.

I have extremely vivid memories of spending Christmas or birthday money on a small, dial-tuned AM radio so I could listen to Vin call Dodger games (or Chick Hearn call Laker games) while I’d play made-up games in the garages for hours and hours.

Draw a strike zone on the wall and “pitch” to MLB lineups. Bounce racquetballs off the walls for crazy grounder practice. Draw a goal on the wall, and shoot street hockey pucks or just tennis balls. Wall-ball with tennis balls obviously. Or things that were more-or-less Calvinball.

Hours and hours, Vin or Chick, and then the postgame guys. Eventually I’d get the courage to call in, but of course that required going upstairs.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:58 am

I have extremely vivid memories of spending Christmas or birthday money on a small, dial-tuned AM radio so I could listen to Vin call Dodger games (or Chick Hearn call Laker games) while I’d play made-up games in the garages for hours and hours.

Draw a strike zone on the wall and “pitch” to MLB lineups. Bounce racquetballs off the walls for crazy grounder practice. Draw a goal on the wall, and shoot street hockey pucks or just tennis balls. Wall-ball with tennis balls obviously. Or things that were more-or-less Calvinball.

Hours and hours, Vin or Chick, and then the postgame guys. Eventually I’d get the courage to call in, but of course that required going upstairs.
Knowing what little I do about you, you should be proud of yourself. You grew up to be a wise successful (financially and with a loving family) man.
I'm sure you have problems and struggles in life but hey, don't we all.

I say that because after reading your post my first thought was look at how the "simple" things in life gave us the greatest pleasure - as kids.
And how people such as Vin (and Chick) had such a strong impact on our lives.

Thanks for sharing your memories!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I liked Rick Deez.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I did the same thing. Even built a small BB court on my basement to replay KU games. Beat UCLA in 1971 after the replay.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sparko wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:45 am

I did the same thing. Even built a small BB court on my basement to replay KU games. Beat UCLA in 1971 after the replay.
I got out on restriction to my room for a couple days once and took the timeout to create a series of regional basketball leagues using ‘Our Fifty States’ by National Geographic as my guide for towns. Every town over 37000 was listed. I played out what I remember as hundreds of games on my nerf hoop hanging from my door. Had everything written in one of those school composition notebooks that got lost in my mid-20’s somehow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:45 am

I got out on restriction to my room for a couple days once and took the timeout to create a series of regional basketball leagues using ‘Our Fifty States’ by National Geographic as my guide for towns. Every town over 37000 was listed. I played out what I remember as hundreds of games on my nerf hoop hanging from my door. Had everything written in one of those school composition notebooks that got lost in my mid-20’s somehow.
I would do exceedingly stupid things like create the D2 Mighty Ducks team in whatever the corresponding NHL game was out at the time. Fun stuff, creativity and imagination.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I created a weird Kansas baseball league where weird teams had something like NIL to become juggernauts Lawrence had to beat, Hiawatha, was one, and I have never been there. Nothing to see here. LOL!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:33 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:31 pm So...Trevor Bauer...
Wow.
It sure looks like he got completely fucked over here ( initially ) by the justice system AND even moreso, MLB and the Dodgers.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/399 ... ud-arizona

Totally got fucked over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:27 am
pdub wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:33 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:31 pm So...Trevor Bauer...
Wow.
It sure looks like he got completely fucked over here ( initially ) by the justice system AND even moreso, MLB and the Dodgers.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/399 ... ud-arizona

Totally got fucked over.
I believe this is one of at least four accusers, correct?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Portland legislature just voted for a tax credit for the Sea Dogs, 140k a year over 20 years, but now with that credit I think our minor league team will stay in the city.

While the owners of the Sea Dogs is a multi billion dollar company, I still think this is a good job by the legislature as the team generates 2 million dollars in sales and income taxes for the state a year - and also it's a pretty cheap and fun activity for people in the city.