It's Game Day

Kansas Football.
Back2Lawrence

Re: It's Game Day

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It can be, for sure. But this game shouldn’t have been lost, the way it was.

Even with a 3rd string quarterback.

Even being KU.

Even playing a Big 12 opponent.

FFS.

It was horrible clock management and some really odd play calling (on drive before end of half, too), that made the ultimate difference here.

Kudos to Ballard, honestly.

And the defense….until those last few plays.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

On a whole, being 3 yards away from a win vs a P5 team, one ranked in the top 30 in Sagarin ( yes I value that, not as much as Kenpom, but still value it ), considering that we are Kansas, despite playing your 3rd string quarterback, loosing your best WR for part of the game, and your best TE for a good amount of the game, I don't think you should be disappointed in, because you have to understand all the factors that stacked against us the entire game.

I think you can be disappointed in the way that it ended though, at least with the 3rd down play call and then the kickoff and defensive effort at the end of the game.

I don't think Leipold had faith in a freshman QB at the end game.
Dude was 9/20 with an INT. He was throwing ducks. Kudos to Ballard, certainly, for coming in and making a game of it, but he wasn't ready.

The direct snap to Neal might have been fine had running been an option but it looked like it was a pass play all the way and Tech easily sniffed it out. Not ideal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:36 am
pdub wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm

I refuse to be disappointed in a 7 win season to be honest.
Perspective.
I am very disappointed in the loss but not the season overall. They are two different things. KU did not play well at all and lost to an inferior opponent. They are no longer in a situation where they should be dropping games like that.
To quote DC, "FFS".
3rd string quarterback with no reps and we were 3 yards away from going on top with less than a minute in the game.
That is a literal situation where you could see why a team would drop a game.
Yes, I am aware of all of that, thanks. I still feel how I feel. Feel differently all you want. Texas Tech sucks and we still had a great chance to beat them but did not. Hence my disappointment.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:03 am I dunno, twocoach. The team gave up 16 in total to a big 12 opponent, and minus so weird play calling/time management decisions, shoulda coulda woulda been up at the end of the game, with a dude at QB who was no doubt sped up out of his mind, at least to start his day.
Then don't be disappointed. I am not telling anyone else how they should feel about the game. I am not calling for any coaches to be fired.

FFS yourself, people. We're not all required to have the same opinions here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, but we can also say FFS in response.
It's a message bored!
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The disappointment lies in knowing all the factors were stacked against us, yet the coaches and team found a way to be in control late then whiffed, for whatever reasons.

It’s similar to tournament losing, to me, in what was lost. Regardless is we are ‘Kansas’.

But can we stop thinking of ‘Kansas’ as a bad word in regards to football soon? Please? FFS
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A full four year recruiting cycle from Lance and I'll be on bored.

I still think there's long term ramifications from our awfulness that we are navigating through...and it's why Lance is doing one of the best jobs running a program in the country.

We are still only 2 seasons removed from a 2-10 record.
And it was even worse before that for quite some time.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 am The disappointment lies in knowing all the factors were stacked against us, yet the coaches and team found a way to be in control late then whiffed, for whatever reasons.

It’s similar to tournament losing, to me, in what was lost. Regardless is we are ‘Kansas’.

But can we stop thinking of ‘Kansas’ as a bad word in regards to football soon? Please? FFS
Exactly. Sorry but Kansas even with their 3rd string QB in is a better team than Texas Tech. They have not beaten a single decent team prior to this weekend. Their only wins had been vs. FCS team Tarleton State, vs. 2-5 Houston, vs. 2-5 Baylor and 2-5 TCU.

It's all good. Frankly, it's nice to actually expect KU to win a conference football game for a change. Bummed they didn't get the win but on to next week.

Anyone seen any legit updates on Bean's health or status yet?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The lack of transparency is frustrating. I guess I get it to keep kstate or whoever guessing, but Daniels’ stuff not really reported on much, now not much on Bean.

Fans care now lol!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:19 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 am The disappointment lies in knowing all the factors were stacked against us, yet the coaches and team found a way to be in control late then whiffed, for whatever reasons.

Exactly. Sorry but Kansas even with their 3rd string QB in is a better team than Texas Tech.
I don't think that's objectively true.

It's closer than you think.
Kansas was a 3.5 point favorite at home vs Tech with our starter ( or our 2nd string QB from season start ) - you get 3-4 points for home field advantage.

I would wager that if Bean was ruled out before the game, the line would have been at best -1.5 Kansas.

Sagarin, while not as reliable as Kenpom, actually has them 1 spot above us currently, and before our matchup, they were within 10 spots of us ( we were 30th, they were 37th ).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Well, at home, the great advantage out raucous, engaged, and knowledgeable student section would give us more than enough extra.

They mostly are horrible, btw. I couldn’t believe how loud they were on the final drive, as example, especially on our ‘and goal’ situations.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Bean isn't ready for this weekend, I'd say ksu will be double digit favorites.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There is reason to be pissed at some aspects of the game from the OC. The first six plays netted two yards against the wind and sucked the energy out of the Booth.

Then there were the short side of the field options. The use of Bean pre-and post-injury against a desperate and yes, dirty team. The goal to go play calls. Andy mailed it in mostly for whatever reason. I don't understand the lack of movement and creativity on offense and I hope someone gets some answers for it. They had a terrible time before Ballard, so "protecting" him is not really an answer either.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

GameDay, biotches
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Bump. Beetches
Defense. Rebounds.