Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:54 pm :D
TDub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:07 pm he so very clearly does not have similar skills and tools as Lowry....

randy with yesefu is like the reverse uno of Q and Braun.
Notice you added "skills"

I said physical tools. Which he does
Again, you're using an outlier as a benchmark. That's a pretty flimsy way to go about things.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am SO MANY TIMES he tried to put the team on his back and it was very hard to watch as he got eaten up.
For the record: From the beginning of conference play his Junior season until the end of his career Sherron Collins lost 7 total games. 3 games his entire senior season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:07 pm he so very clearly does not have similar skills and tools as Lowry....

“ This guy is really really good. I know our starting back court seemed pretty locked in with harris braun and agbaji. but this guy might be better than all of them. I watched both his games against WSU and USC and he was incredible. reminds me a lot of kyle lowry”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what tools?

he has arms and legs?

me too
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:30 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:24 pm Best career at KU:
1. Sherron
2. Frank
3. Devonte

Best at basketball:
1. Devonte
2. Frank
3. Sherron
I can't put someone ahead, in college career, of a NPOY.
FWIW....
Yes, Frank won a NPOY.
Sherron's best season he didn't win NPOY. Blake Griffin won.
Frank's best season he wouldn't have won it over Griffin's 08-09 season either.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Frank would have won it easily over Sherron Collins though.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:54 pm

“ This guy is really really good. I know our starting back court seemed pretty locked in with harris braun and agbaji. but this guy might be better than all of them. I watched both his games against WSU and USC and he was incredible. reminds me a lot of kyle lowry”
:lol:

awesome
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:08 pm

I know about 50 guys with a similar build to Lowry.
One of them is a mail man.
He got a lighting quick first step and 40+ vert?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:37 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:08 pm

I know about 50 guys with a similar build to Lowry.
One of them is a mail man.
He got a lighting quick first step and 40+ vert?
Not sure. Is that what we are considering "tools"?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:44 pm
DrPepper wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 am SO MANY TIMES he tried to put the team on his back and it was very hard to watch as he got eaten up.
For the record: From the beginning of conference play his Junior season until the end of his career Sherron Collins lost 7 total games. 3 games his entire senior season.
I didn’t say Kansas lost the games. Ron Ron would challenge players, they’d steal the ball and jam it. He’d force a shot and miss it. It wasn’t senior Perry Ellis bad (getting stuffed under the basket (bad), but taking the shot late in the clock from point blank range(good)). Kinda the opposite in that there was very little restraint. A fine line between dog that wins games and attitude that sets a bad example.
I know it was early in a season so this game shouldn’t be anyone’s final grade, but there was a Kansas versus Syracuse game that sticks out in my mind as a time when Sherron was hard to watch. Maybe it was the only time he was hard to watch.Maybe we won the game. One of the greats and he loved playing for Kansas.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

we did not win that game. fuckin Johnny Flynn.

But, Sherron saved our asses more times than he cost us.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sherron vs Willie Warren as an amazing battle.

of course, then Devonte ans Frank had an even better game against OU in one of the best games I've ever seen. 3OT, #1 vs #2.

Though, it should be noted that the best player in that particular game might have been Perry Ellis, if my memory is correct. I drank many nervous beers that game.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:57 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:44 pm
I didn’t say Kansas lost the games. Ron Ron would challenge players, they’d steal the ball and jam it.
Fun fact of the day:

In their senior season's Sherron averaged less turnovers per game than Devonte on nearly identical usage rates.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Juuuuuuust barely but yes.

In their senior seasons Vonte averaged almost 2 more PPG and almost 3 more APG.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:28 am Juuuuuuust barely but yes.

In their senior seasons Vonte averaged almost 2 more PPG and almost 3 more APG.
Diving a little deeper into those stats:

Devonte shot .7 more FGs per game and 1.4 more FTs per game.

Devonte also played 4.7 more minutes per game. Partly because the SC senior team destroyed a lot of opponents and DG senior year team lost 8 games.

The 17-18 team attempted 60.7 FGs per game with 16.6 assists per game.

The 09-10 team attempted 58.6 FGs per game with 16.9 assists per game.

That 17-18 team was fun to watch when they got going and the shots were falling. 3 really good 3pt shooters in that starting lineup.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well the FT's don't do much to help what I think your argument is ( Sherron was better in his senior year than Devonte ).
The FT's are actually in Devonte's favor because that means he got to the line more - which you want from your players ( maybe even more so your point guard - especially when that point guard is shooting 83% from the line ).
The almost one extra shot per game though is slightly valid, yes, but not enough to make up for that PPG differential.

The 2 more FG's per game with a .3 assist difference wasn't even worth mentioning unless you were just pointing out some fun facts.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Hard to compare devonte and sherrons senior years, considering how different those rosters were. Sherron should've been muchhh more efficient on a much more loaded roster, where devonte had to carry his team more
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:01 am Well the FT's don't do much to help what I think your argument is ( Sherron was better in his senior year than Devonte ).... unless you were just pointing out some fun facts.
I wasn't saying Sherron was better than DG senior season. I was just comparing their stats. I think Devonte is absolutely better at basketball than Sherron.

My entire argument for why I rank Sherron #1 (for KU career only) is because he was better longer. 2x AA. Won a national title. Sherron lost 19 total games at KU and was a key part of probably top 2 most dominant 4yr stretch of the Self era (team results wise).

Devonte lost 27 games at KU.
Frank lost 29 games at KU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Basketball is a team sport so total wins don’t do much for me.

It helps when Sherron is on a team ( coming off the bench ) that’s the best Self has ever had.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:54 pm It helps when Sherron is on a team ( coming off the bench ) that’s the best Self has ever had.
It does help....although just because he came off the bench doesn't take away from his importance to that team. He was probably the 4th best player on that team.

It also helps when as a senior you lead your team to a 33-3 record.