Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:16 am He just has a little more variation to his seasons due to his style and scheduling method. Because he isn't as great an offensive schemer as Self, his teams have less margin for error when their shots aren't dropping. Self wins a lot of games for his teams even when they aren't shooting well because he adjusts better.

Izzo is still easily a Top 5 active coach for me. No way I can think of 5 other coaches I'd rather have coaching my team come tourney time. He's no Self, I agree. But he's freaking good. If your top tier is just Bill Self then yeah, he's "second tier".
I think Bill is probably alone now.

Roy, K and Wright were there. Cal and Izzo might have been there ten years ago, but I think their stars have lost a lot of luster (no doubt Pitino's has).

Few simply doesn't count in my book.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:18 am Izzo is not a second tier coach.
Just depends on who you call first tier, I suppose.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The "Who I'd Want" list and the active coach ranking list would be different.

Active coaches (career) off the top of my head has to be something like:

1. Self

2. Cal
3. Izzo

4. Pitino

Then you get into the Fews and Painters maybe?

Who I'd want would be an interesting list.

If it were starting next year and for only a handful of years (and Self isn't an option) then I'd want us to go hard after Jay Wright to come out of retirement.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'd take Wright to win one game. But I'll pass, even as a stopgap, on a guy who got out of the game rather than adjust to the new recruiting paradigm. That's not a good program steward.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if i'm going to predict right now. i will say jeremy case will be our next coach.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 am if i'm going to predict right now. i will say jeremy case will be our next coach.
If it's not for another 5 or 6 years then I don't think your prediction is unrealistic.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

yes down the road.

but if we need a coach tomorrow. that guy at baylor will be one of our first calls.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

If we need a coach tomorrow (Saturday) it'll be Norm Roberts.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh boy, didn't your fierce loyalty to Norm cause you to do your username to your last account?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

He's just being Mr. Literal. Yes, if KU was literally in need of a coach "tomorrow" then that coach would be Norm Roberts. If Bill Self abruptly retired at the conclusion of the season, I doubt that would be who gets the job. Guys like Scott Drew, Kelvin Sampson, Eric Musselman, Nate Oats and Tommy Floyd would all likely get contacted behind the scenes ASAP.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Scott Drew would 100% absolutely NOT be contacted to replace Bill Self.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:57 am Scott Drew would 100% absolutely NOT be contacted to replace Bill Self.
I'd put that number at less than 100% but OK. I too would not want him to get the job but his agent would be getting a call behind the scenes for sure.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

No. His agent wouldn't.

Neither would Sampson's agent.

Calipari would be blowing KUs phone up offering his services though. He'd love to get out of Lexington.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We wouldn't hire Scott Drew because he sucks.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:14 am We wouldn't hire Scott Drew because he sucks.
Agree that we wouldn't hire him. It would be interesting to see the order of who gets called and how they respond for sure. I hope we have a long time before we get to that point.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was high on Nate Oats until he let an accomplice to murder finish out the season for him.
No thank you.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:27 am The "Who I'd Want" list and the active coach ranking list would be different.

1. Self

2. Cal
3. Izzo

4. Pitino

If it were starting next year and for only a handful of years (and Self isn't an option) then I'd want us to go hard after Jay Wright to come out of retirement.
You've watched college basketball thr last 8 years or so and still have Cal on any top coaching lists?
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jay Wright and then Calipari wouldn't be an unreasonable order if after this season.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 am
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:27 am The "Who I'd Want" list and the active coach ranking list would be different.

1. Self

2. Cal
3. Izzo

4. Pitino

You've watched college basketball thr last 8 years or so and still have Cal on any top coaching lists?
Active career lists? Yes.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:45 am
TDub wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:41 am

1. Self

2. Cal
3. Izzo

4. Pitino

Active career lists? Yes.
you're a glutton for underachievement and dissappointment then.
Just Ledoux it