Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by Shirley »

Tim Miller reacts to the worst political ad of all time, created by a Nikki Haley super PAC.

Republican PAC Runs WORST Ad in History | Tim's Takes

Tim Miller is an American political consultant and writer. He was a communications director for the Jeb Bush 2016 presidential campaign, and subsequently became an outspoken critic of former U.S. president Donald Trump
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Republicans add new threats to impeach Austin and Garland, along with Biden and Mayorkas

With little legislation having been passed into law, impeachment is quickly becoming a go-to release valve for a fractious and frustrated House Republican majority...

Don't get me wrong, the less the Christo-Fascist misogynist, (I repeat myself.), Republicans in control of the house "do", with some notable exceptions like bothering to keep the government functioning, the better off we are. Nonetheless, if Democrats fail to make this "do nothing congress" an issue in the '24 election, although I won't be surprised, I'll be very disappointed.

Name one material, meaningful, significant thing the Republican Party has done with their majority…

“I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing—one—that I can go campaign on and say we did. One!” Republican Representative Chip Roy

Has the modern Republican Party become a complete, useless dumpster fire that does nothing to actually help the American people, because it’s too busy investigating the president’s son, kissing the last president’s ass, challenging congressional witnesses to brawls, and fighting each other? Many would say yes. Usually, though, the people saying yes are not actual Republicans. But, surprise!

On Wednesday, Representative Chip Roy took to House floor to tear into his fellow Republicans, accusing them of doing literally nothing useful with their time in Washington—definitely not anything he could actually tell voters about in an effort to get reelected. “You know, we have had a tumultuous year of sorts, but in the eyes of the American people, they’ve been watching from afar wondering when this body, the people’s House, will stand up in defense of the people who send us here,” Roy said. “When are we going to do what we said we would do?” Taking aim expressly at his GOP colleagues, Roy added: “For the life of me, I do not understand how you can go to the trouble of campaigning, raising money, going to events, talking to people, coming to this town as a member of a party who allegedly stands for something…and then do nothing about it. One thing: I want my Republican colleagues to give me one thing—one—that I can go campaign on and say we did. One!” Then he dared any Republicans in the room to come to the floor and “explain to me one material, meaningful, significant thing the Republican majority has done.” [...]
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’m sure, actually, this’ll be well-messaged.

I’m also struck - vis a vis the ridiculous clamoring for impeachment of someone D, for something scary - by the hollowness and bad-faith of slippery slope arguments being made by the party that hunts out slippery slopes like a teenager at a waterpark.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The republicans in Congress tackled the very difficult budget issues concerned with Hunter Biden and trans athletes.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:59 pm So...bear with me here:

Tonight and tomorrow, Sanders, Warren, the Squad, etc. lose their minds about the plainly unconstitutional/Bush-esque attacks on the Houthis, which turns into a huge "split" in the party. AOC and Tlaib join Speaker Johnson in threatening to impeach Biden. Eventually, Kamala breaks bad, and Biden concedes that he's not up for this kind of infighting and ends his reelection campaign (à la LBJ).

Problem solved.

Then the games begin!

https://twitter.com/RepRashida/status/1 ... 7880990784
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:23 pm

Tonight and tomorrow, Sanders, Warren, the Squad, etc. lose their minds about the plainly unconstitutional/Bush-esque attacks on the Houthis, which turns into a huge "split" in the party. AOC and Tlaib join Speaker Johnson in threatening to impeach Biden. Eventually, Kamala breaks bad, and Biden concedes that he's not up for this kind of infighting and ends his reelection campaign (à la LBJ).

Problem solved.

Then the games begin!

(It’s here I’ll note that this sort of thing was always why there was a connection between Russia/Ukraine and Iran/Israel.)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:23 pm

Problem solved.

Then the games begin!

you and Ousie are always one step ahead of the game
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Didn’t you hear?

DCHawk1 is my sock.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:15 pm
Look, I know Biden's not gonna run. You know Biden's not gonna run. I know that you know that Biden's not gonna run.

I'm just trying to figure out how we get from here to there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and in the next 10 months, at that

isn't there a deadline for getting on ballots and stuff?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:39 pm
Look, I know Biden's not gonna run. You know Biden's not gonna run. I know that you know that Biden's not gonna run.

That part's easy, a portal to another dimension.

The hard part is will we have enough time to get JFK Jr on the ballot in all 50 States before the election?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

japhy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:30 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:39 pm

That part's easy, a portal to another dimension.

The hard part is will we have enough time to get JFK Jr on the ballot in all 50 States before the election?
And Paul Newman.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

So, someone told him some bad news, eh?

https://x.com/acyn/status/1746691133487 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
Trump: But in New Hampshire they are signing people to vote. I think that is disgraceful. I don't know if they are even allowed to do it.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

If Trump wins the election then you can either thank or blame the media. The average voter hears his name countless times every day. Trump, Trump, Trump ad nauseam all day long. When we are presented with some information that is just below our conscious awareness but somehow still reaches our brains, it is a subliminal message - meaning, the information is somehow getting into our systems and to our brains without us truly being aware of it.
I’ll be attending my Idaho caucus and trying to convince everyone that we need a super strong woman like Nikki Haley.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

dolomite wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm If Trump wins the election then you can either thank or blame the media. The average voter hears his name countless times every day. Trump, Trump, Trump ad nauseam all day long. When we are presented with some information that is just below our conscious awareness but somehow still reaches our brains, it is a subliminal message - meaning, the information is somehow getting into our systems and to our brains without us truly being aware of it.
I’ll be attending my Idaho caucus and trying to convince everyone that we need a super strong woman like Nikki Haley.
I support your efforts.

Your post does, though, call to mind what I think is an incorrect (and outdated) way of looking at things - which is NOT what you said, but is related.

I think the notion that the various prosecutions and lawsuits HELP Trump is wrong. I think it’s correct that negative attention was good attention in 2016.

But now?

I highly doubt there are even five figures’ worth of voters who would not vote for Trump BUT FOR the prosecutions and lawsuits.

And whatever that number is, I believe it is dwarfed by the number of voters for whom at least one of the legal actions is disqualifying.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

dolomite wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm If Trump wins the election then you can either thank or blame the media. The average voter hears his name countless times every day. Trump, Trump, Trump ad nauseam all day long. When we are presented with some information that is just below our conscious awareness but somehow still reaches our brains, it is a subliminal message - meaning, the information is somehow getting into our systems and to our brains without us truly being aware of it.
Although she's a huge improvement over Trump, I was a more enthusiastic supporter of Haley before I started getting to know her. The cowardice she reveals attempting to thread the Trump supporter needle, is too craven for me.

A pollster I saw yesterday pointed out that half of the people planning to vote for Haley in New Hampshire pick Biden, not Trump, as their second choice. They were pointing out how much she's benefitting from the open primary there, and how although it might appear she gaining by leaps and bounds on Trump, what happens in NH may not scale nationally, even in her home state of SC. But, if she does really well in NH, not having another primary for a month while Trump legal problems dominate the news cycle daily, can't hurt her.

I always thought you lived in Arizona.
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Half-related - I would not underestimate the psychic damage that will result from Haley doing anything in any state that makes Trump look remotely vulnerable to a woman.

I am far from an expert, but at some point his narcissistic decompensation will accelerate.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Since Haley would crush Biden in the general, I've always taken some solace in knowing that should she somehow take the nomination away from him, Trump will go scorched earth and make sure if he isn't the republican nominee, then no one should be the nominee, turn his cultists against her, and Biden wins.

Except, she has said she'll pardon him, so there is, that...
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm Since Haley would crush Biden in the general,
I don't believe that.

Yes, she'd get some centrist/independent votes that other GOP candidates would not, but she could also lose the 30+% of GOP voters who wholeheartedly MAGA. (as you say...)

DeSantis or Ramaswamy would probably keep those votes, but I don't think Haley can.

Her political instincts are terrible.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm Since Haley would crush Biden in the general, I've always taken some solace in knowing that should she somehow take the nomination away from him, Trump will go scorched earth and make sure if he isn't the republican nominee, then no one should be the nominee, turn his cultists against her, and Biden wins.

Except, she has said she'll pardon him, so there is, that...
The pardon promise thing is fascinating, and will prove (in my opinion) to have been short-sighted. In that there’s probably only a path for her if he’s off the board entirely.

So, is being saddled with the baggage (in an effort to keep his diehards) worth the cost in terms of scaring away actual swing state swing voters?

I don’t know the answer…and I’m not sure it’s knowable in advance.